Need input - FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. Risks/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's a foolish risk to introduce infected cats into your household of non-infected but vaccinated cats. The vaccine is nowhere near 100% efficacy. You are better off finding someone who has no cats now or has infected cats.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a foolish risk to introduce infected cats into your household of non-infected but vaccinated cats. The vaccine is nowhere near 100% efficacy. You are better off finding someone who has no cats now or has infected cats.
This is a misguided opinion, especially given the care taken and context given in this thread. We are talking about FIV, which is not transmitted easily, and careful introductions of spayed and neutered cats.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a misguided opinion, especially given the care taken and context given in this thread. We are talking about FIV, which is not transmitted easily, and careful introductions of spayed and neutered cats.
It is not misguided. You simply do not agree. FIV is not easily transmitted, but it still is transmitted. I am simply underscoring that I believe it is a foolish risk to the health of the uninfected cats, who have no choice in the matter. Do not mistake low risk for zero risk.

While I am accustomed to introducing cats to an established household (including ferals), I was not commenting on that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not misguided. You simply do not agree. FIV is not easily transmitted, but it still is transmitted. I am simply underscoring that I believe it is a foolish risk to the health of the uninfected cats, who have no choice in the matter. Do not mistake low risk for zero risk.

While I am accustomed to introducing cats to an established household (including ferals), I was not commenting on that.
No, still not the case. FIV is transmitted between cats that are not spayed and neutered, either because of fighting for territory and mates, or during mating. With the care with which these introductions were done and the dispositions of these cats, this was not a risk.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure you meant it in the way it came off, but calling the posters actions as foolish can be interpreted as judgmental. The originator of this thread is highly respected by many of us and we know she put a lot of thought and consideration in making an educated decision she felt comfortable with. Orville is living proof that under normal circumstances the risk is very very low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jed is doing well, other than not using a litter box. (Have another thread on that). He's lame but moves pretty well. I don't really want four cats inside, but his lameness and FIV status mean he should be in the house. The other cats tolerate him, but he's still a bit "swatty" with the males. I think they just want to play but he hasn't figured that out yet.

Henryetta was fat-shamed at the vet. Yes, she's is huge. We aren't sure what to do about it. Chaucer needs to weigh about 9 - 10 pounds but weighs about 8.5. Orville is overweight but because he is a big cat, it's not as concerning to the vet. He's 14.8 pounds. Jed has put on some weight - visible in his side but I can't cut down on his food because he's still outside and needs the extra calories. I never thought I would have 4 cats! I'd read these articles and not understand how people could have more than two (or three). Now, I do. Three of these cats chose me to be their caretaker because they were needy in some way. Chaucer as a kitten and I chose each other at the shelter.

*I seem to have missed a post about someone thinking I was foolish for allowing FIV+/- cats together. Thank you to those who stood up for me/this subject. Sometimes people take things out of context and/or don't read entire threads or get the gist of them before responding.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Always glad to hear what's going on! And yes some people jump the gun. I would NOT call you Foolish! I call people who believe wive's tales foolish. Fixed cats don't fight as much as unfixed cats. Therefore it's NOT a risk to mix both FIV + and - cats IF they are laid back cats to begin with. There's always a straggler that likes to fight but for 80% of the time I find cats cohabit much better than people give them credit...look at feral cat colonies for proof of this-and some are not fixed and still get along!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are entitled to your opinion. I realize that this is a very long thread and you may not have read it all. Like you, I was at first afraid to have Orville in the house with my cats, but thanks to a vet, microbiologist friend who checked with a virologist at her work, and members on this site, I felt comfortable bringing in Orville who is FIV +, and now Jed. My cats are not vaccinated against FIV, but they are against FeLV which is more easily transmitted. My cats are healthy and receive vet care. They are well-fed, have a safe home and are loved. The FIV + cats have a better chance at a good life. My other two have been tested and do not have FIV. The two FIV cats were feral/semi-feral and would not be suitable for adoption.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're doing an amazing job with all your cats. They're being looked after and Orville and Jed are most certainly living a much better life than they would have otherwise.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jed is such a lucky boy!!! My boyfriend and I have 3 cats together and i didn't think we would go past 2. I chose my black cat at the shelter and the other 2 needed homes as well. This is the absolute max though. Its expensive and 2 of the cats are very energetic so it's a lot of work. Please continue to update us!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pushylady pushylady Thank you. I, like all of us here, just want to give cats the best care I can, and we are all doing the best we can too, depending on our circumstances.

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 This is the max for me too. It's gotten too expensive. Close friends helped with Jed's neutering/vet visit because they love cats and have one of Henryetta's kittens. They really want to get Jed's leg fixed, but that's too much money and he does't seem in pain. I can run my hand down his leg and no response. I think it just didn't set right and he can't put weight on it sometimes. Some days are better than others for him. Had he not been caught, I don't think he would have survived another mating season. He got pretty scarred up this time. Last year, he had a terribly infected wound on his back and would have died had it not been for my wonderful vet prescribing antibiotics to crush in his food. She did that based on photos of the wound and my descriptions of his behavior.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fat-shamed, NOOO! Aw poor girlfriend :(
I got Krissy down about 3 lbs by getting her from dry over to fancy feast canned but still gave her LID dry 1/4 cup a day so she got her fix :)

You already know your decision was not foolish, most are not informed enough to understand that fiv is only transferred through deep blood drawing bites, and the only cats who fight like this are unneutered males.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With four cats to feed and such small cans, Fancy Feast is a bit expensive for me. I do give her wet Friskies and Meow Mix in the morning, however, she prefers dry food. She is the cat where I cannot have a meal without her right there wanting something, even if she wouldn't like it. I have to shut her up somewhere so I can eat. I think she went hungry quite a bit before I took her in, plus, since she was not spayed she had several litters of kittens. She was at least three when I found her so being pregnant often, nursing, caring for kittens, and having to hunt for food, especially if the people across the street weren't feeding her enough for all that, may have caused this eating disorder. Jed is slowly getting it that food is always available when he's hungry. Orville is a couple of pounds overweight but he doesn't overeat. He's my oldest cat and is around nine. He's less active and has a pot belly. Chaucer has to gain weight - hyperactive even at 6. So, it's somewhat of a challenge.

Thanks. I don't feel my decision was foolish either. We all have to make decisions based on our own research and information and do what we feel is in the best interest of our cats. Orville might have made it outside without me due to his size, but Jed is small and lame now, so he would not have made it long at all. He's still outside at night, but at least I know he's had his shots, neutered and not patrolling and fighting, trusts me enough for vet care, and will take medications. If he would just use the litter box, and I have regular ones, a leaf one, and one with dirt for him to use, he could start staying indoors at night. He doesn't stray far from my yard, though. He goes next door and that's about it now.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, I could not feed 4 cats fancy feast either!
As it is, Simone is in her last time of life due to CKD and Hyper-T, also dementia, and only wants fancy feast, and not just the regular, NO, she's got to have the elegant medleys which are nearly $1.00 a can.....at least I know I am spending around 120. a month just for that.
I guess if it keeps her weight up mostly then it's worth it, otherwise......

I wonder if putting him in a small crate at night with a bed and litterbox only, he will use it then might get the idea that it's the right place to be going? Or at least get un-used to going freely as he can outside.
I have found this very effective with littles that are not faithful box users, crate them for a bit in a very small crate with box and bed space only, it has been a winner.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jed is doing well, other than not using a litter box. (Have another thread on that). He's lame but moves pretty well. I don't really want four cats inside, but his lameness and FIV status mean he should be in the house. The other cats tolerate him, but he's still a bit "swatty" with the males. I think they just want to play but he hasn't figured that out yet.

Henryetta was fat-shamed at the vet. Yes, she's is huge. We aren't sure what to do about it. Chaucer needs to weigh about 9 - 10 pounds but weighs about 8.5. Orville is overweight but because he is a big cat, it's not as concerning to the vet. He's 14.8 pounds. Jed has put on some weight - visible in his side but I can't cut down on his food because he's still outside and needs the extra calories. I never thought I would have 4 cats! I'd read these articles and not understand how people could have more than two (or three). Now, I do. Three of these cats chose me to be their caretaker because they were needy in some way. Chaucer as a kitten and I chose each other at the shelter.

*I seem to have missed a post about someone thinking I was foolish for allowing FIV+/- cats together. Thank you to those who stood up for me/this subject. Sometimes people take things out of context and/or don't read entire threads or get the gist of them before responding.
I'm so happy you made the decision to bring kitty inside! It will benefit you both for sure :) You can even use the experience to educate others.
When I moved to California i didn't have a cat. Never had a cat. Only had one dog, a Jack Russel. Then i rescued a pair at my work that were born to our resident Walmart momma cat. Then another was left in a box at 3 weeks old. Over the coarse of a year we've rescued about 15 cats (Not keeping them all!) We've kept five as our own WE kept two from the litter found, then the black kitten left in a box then a lady literally handed me a cat outside Walmart and left. we rescued boots about 4 cats later and we kept Boots. cause he snuggled me and i cried lol. Never ever thought it was going to happen to me so I feel you!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a Walmart mama cat too! I have heard that I'm the only one anyone has heard of that has been able to pet her and I've only fed her three times. People were standing around while I stroked her neck and ears, and I hadn't fed her that day. A man said he'd tried and she ran. It was true. He tried again and she ran from him. She likes me. I do know that people feed her and sometimes she goes in the back room when it is cold, and employees have adopted kittens. I'd gladly pay for her to be spayed and adopted if they would trap her. i think they have tried and she won't go in a crate but it may be due to her always having kittens somewhere.

I have rescued two kittens from behind the charity shop where I used to volunteer, and one cat from my neighborhood. Homes were found for all, but that's not including the three I rescued and kept or my female's five kittens who were adopted by my friends. It isn't counting Chaucer who I had when I moved here just 4.5 years ago. I feel I have to stop.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707 I'll try the crate. I have two sizes. One for a large dog and one that's Orville's normal carrying crate. I think it may have to be the latter because the big one won't fit in my bathroom where I think it will be best for him to stay. He'd be close to me overnight. The big one allows for a bed, litter box and food/water though, but my bathroom is not large. I wouldn't be able to get to the sink with that crate in there! I hate him not having access to food and water at night. I always leave dry and a bowl of water when he goes outside at night.

I want him to stay well as long as possible and to thrive like Orville has. He wasn't in as a good a shape as Orville, according to the vet. He's got more scarring and has one of his upper incisors broken off. It's smooth but very short and no point to it. He's a messy eater because of that and I don't feel it is advantageous in a fight, and now he's lame.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor boy...
Well he's got you to show him his life matters :)

You can create a make-shift water and food dish that can hang on the bars of the crate with a hot/cold type of paper cup, poke 2 holes in the upper side and hang it up with a twisty tie.
That way he has access but won't be squeezed on the bottom where there is limited space.
If the bathroom is small like mine :crackup: the crate can be put up on a table or elevated otherwise and put anywhere, so he can be around you is nice for him. Cover it 3/4 of the way except a few inches all around the front so he has some view of the sides too.
Glad in his state he found you :)

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The crate thing has not been successful as he does not want to go in a crate. I still let him out late afternoon/early evening until 6:00-6:30 in the morning. However, he was in from 6:30 Am until 8:30 PM last night and still didn't go to a box! The other three go at least twice during this time frame. Poor Jed has very stinky breath too! He's turning into a lap cat so the breath odor is very noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.