Need Info On Shelter Gas Chambers

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why, in the 21st century, are so many kill shelters using gas chambers? Is it because there is some kind of training or certification required to administer an injection and these shelters don't have qualified personnel? Is it because what vets use to euthanize terminally ill family pets costs more than the gas?

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is certainly more personal to administer an injection than to just shove the poor soul into a chamber and shut the door.

catsrule12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What gets me is this country spends so much money on unnecessary things, such as war etc, when issues such as this should be addressed. This country is supposed to be so far from the other countries in medical research and other things, why does our country condone this type of thing to go on???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catsrule12

What gets me is this country spends so much money on unnecessary things, such as war etc, when issues such as this should be addressed. This country is supposed to be so far from the other countries in medical research and other things, why does our country condone this type of thing to go on???
Please sign this petition to stop the use of gas chambers.

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just signed the petition.
Money has a lot to do with how we treat the critters. I remember when they first made the law that shelters in California had to use injection instead of the gas chamber. The shelters were all up in arms saying it would cost too much money to do that. If it were not for Arnold S's daughter, that law would have been repealed in California. Thank God he is a careing father!
Certainly it is more "humane" (If one can use that word in this case) to gas them then to sell them for medical research which many shelters do to "get more income". I do not remember which state it is, but receintly one tried to make it a law that the shelters HAD to sell them to labs. Don't know if it passed or not.
The more I know people, the less I like people!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most medical research is painless... still, it must be a very lonely existence for a stray animal.

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Most medical research is painless... still, it must be a very lonely existence for a stray animal.
Um, no. The operation may be painless because the critter is out, but a lot of times they do not give pain meds 'cause they think it will interfre with the findings. They certainly do not give bunnies pain meds to test cosmetics in their eyes.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, "most"... some of the more invasive stuff you mentioned (which can involve surgery) can be painful.

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This cruel method goes with governments in North America, including Canada, allowing declawing of animals. In all the countries of the European community, declawing is stricly forbidden. If a vet is caught doing it, it is prison automatically. Declawing there is considered a criminal offence.

N.