Need ideas for window seating

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a double window in my dining room that Friday previously ignored but now is very interested to see out of. I put up a cat hammock (below) but for a number of reasons it didn't work out (I had to doctor it to make it fit in the window, it didn't really hold Friday's weight well, he didn't like sitting on it because it felt unsturdy, etc.).

I have window frosting on the bottom parts of the windows because my dog is super reactive to things he sees outside, so unfortunately I can't just take the frosting off and let Friday sit on the table to look out. I could take it off if I had shelving to kind of block the view, though.

I'd like shelving that Friday could lay on and also where I could put plants to get some sunlight. Friday's not a plant eater so as long as the shelves were sturdy and wide enough I'm not worried about him bothering the plants at all.

I've been thinking about maybe a bookcase I could put behind the table and remove the back of? Or maybe a smaller one I could put on top of the table and remove the back of? My dad suggested rope hanging shelves but that's not great for the cat as I don't think they'd be sturdy enough. Anyone here have ideas?

thumbnail_IMG-4030.jpg

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a cat tree?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you ever open that window for fresh air in the spring/summer? If so, maybe your idea of a smaller bookcase or shelving to put on the tabletop would be better. You could just slide the table out from the window a little in the summer to open the window.

It looks like you're only working with about 30-40 inches of window height available, but half of that is frosted out for the dog? You can still put the plants on the shelving in front of the frosted part (they should get some sun, right?) and then you can dedicate the upper shelves for your cat only. Friday needs to look outside at the birds and passers-by! :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can still put the plants on the shelving in front of the frosted part (they should get some sun, right?)
Plants that need bright indirect / filtered light should do well in front of the frosted part.

What about cat shelves like this?

Or just use brackets and place a shelf spanning the width of the windows like this:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome ideas, thanks! I like those shelves that span the windows. I'm going to see what I can find when I go vintage hunting this weekend.