Need Ideas for Gumball Substitute

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom recently gave me an antique gumball machine.
It is functional.
I took it apart, greased all the plates and gears, cleaned it all up, and it's ready to go.

Thing is, I'm trying to switch to more healthy treats.
And I'm not really a gum person anyway.

So, what do I fill it with?

It has to be something 1 inch or less round, with either a hard finish or closely wrapped.
I don't want something that is too sticky or crumbly that will gunk up the plates.

Any ideas?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. How about sunflower seeds? Can you use a granola? Sugar free gumballs?

Me? I'd fill it with peanut M & Ms. Not healthy in the slightest, but oh man! :lol:

I think that's awesome!

ETA: Here's BooBoo with "his" gumball machine (taken in 2009). The boy had awesome paw-ceps from turning the wheel.
2009BBTreats.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
The only healthy alternatives I can think of are nuts or yogurt covered raisins.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. How about sunflower seeds? Can you use a granola? Sugar free gumballs?

Me? I'd fill it with peanut M & Ms. Not healthy in the slightest, but oh man! :lol:
I'm trying to stay away from things that will generate a lot of "crumbs", so nuts, seeds, and cereals are out.

I thought about the raisins, but I'm not sure they are hard enough to avoid getting smooshed in the plate.
However, that did make me think about the larger chocolate fruits like the Harry and David cherries, blueberries, and strawberries. At least they are larger and less likely to get caught and smooshed.

And believe me, Peanut M&Ms definitely crossed my mind. Too tempting! lol