Need help!

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old cat had surgery on Thursday for a mass removal in his bladder. Today is Sunday and he's been breathing heavily today and more rapid than usual. He is only on a drug called Prazosin. I am going to call the vet in the morning, but I am very worried about him. Does anyone know if this is normal after a surgery?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know but, yes, you should call a vet ASAP.

Can you read your cat's vital signs?

You can feel your cat's heartbeat by placing your hand on the left side of the chest, behind the left, front leg. It's, pretty much where you think it should be. If you have a stethoscope, more's the better.

You can feel your cat's breathing in much the same manner. It's lower and more toward the tummy. Again, a stethoscope might help but, sometimes, you can simply watch the cat's chest and stomach rise and fall with just your eyes.

A cat's heart rate should be approximately 120 to 140 beats per minute but it can go as high as 200 if the cat has been running or playing, recently.

A cat's breathing rate should be approximately 20 to 30 breaths per minute. It will be higher if the cat has been active and slower if the cat has been resting.

Check the heart or breathing rates for fifteen seconds, using a clock with a second hand or the timer on your smartphone. Multiply the number of beats/breaths by four to get the final number.

If your cat's readings are a little bit different than normal, that's okay. She's just had surgery and is taking meds. You might expect that but if they are more than a little bit off, I'd be calling an emergency vet if I could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We made it though the night, so I am calling our vet here at 7 am. He didn't want any food this morning so I am still concerned. His breathing hasn't changed, so still worried. His vitals seems to be in the range you mentioned, but I can't be certain.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his heart and breathing rates are close to normal, he'll probably be okay till you get him to the vet.

You don't have to be perfect. The vet is the expert. You're the assistant. You just have to be able to speak to the vet on knowledgeable terms.

If he vitals are a little bit fast or slow, it shouldn't be a problem. You can tell the vet what you told us... "Okay as far as I can tell."

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering if he is in a lot of pain which is causing all these breathing issues and not wanting to eat. I tend to think the worst, so I am here so worried about him. Only 18 more minutes until they open...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm praying for him.......the med he is on usually is associated with low blood pressure symptoms, like falling when standing, not moving much, etc. He may have something else going on like the beginnings of infection which should be taken care of with an antibiotic. It's definitely best to have a vet look at him. I pray for the best!

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They made me drop him off and leave him there. Poor guy, I feel so bad for him to be stressed out again. Hopefully they call me soon.

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet called me. They said he has fluid in his lungs. They did a chest x-ray and found spots on his lungs which they think are tumors. They called the lab and the lab thinks his mass that was removed is cancerous.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I am so sorry.....we will all be here anytime you need us, my heart goes out to you and that brave boy. I'll keep him in my prayers, right now he just needs you and the comfort you can provide him. There is no way to prepare the heart for what is coming, my heart breaks for what you are going through.....:grouphug:

cspressler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who reached out to help. My little boy is now gone. It has been a heartbreaking day. I've never felt a loss like this. He was in my life for 17.5 years. I'm really hurting right now, wondering what-if, feeling guilty. It was so hard today.

Tuxedosintoronto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So very sorry. Sending lots of care. May all of your memories of him comfort you and relieve your guilt. You loved him and you did all you could. <3

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers are with you, please try to concentrate on what he brought to your life and not the loss. When you are able, tell us his wonderful story in the Crossing the Bridge forum. Please know I'll pray for you both, his pain is over and yours has begun. Don't ever feel guilty for ending unending pain. This is the time to rely on what the vets told you. They are not filled with pain and anguish like you were. It takes a strong love to do what you did, believe me, he understands and loves you even more for loving him so much. Enough not to prolong a life that is endured, not truly lived because there is no cure and no end to the pain.....

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I'm so sorry! Shocked! :sniffle:

Don't second guess yourself. Don't start thinking "Woulda' Coulda' Shoulda' "
It won't get you anywhere and will only make you feel worse.

If he had cancer, there was nothing that anybody could have done.

He was a 17 year old cat going on 18. It was just his time.

Just remember that your pets never really die.

I remember the dogs and cats that I had, growing up.
There was Sam, the German Shepherd. He was my first dog.
There was Dutch, the crazy dog that drank beer and caught frisbees.
There was Reggie, the black lab that chased fish.
There was K.C., my first cat that played fetch better than any dog I ever knew.

There are always stories about pets from times, past. Whether you're sitting at your holiday dinner table with family or drinking some beers around the campfire with friends, you're bound to tell stories that start out like, "I remember good, ole' Sam... Now, THERE was a dog!"

"Then, there was K.C... I never had a cat quite like him and probably never will again!"

As long as they remain in your heart, your old pets will always be with you in spirit. :angel:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, tonight.