Need help!

Minorchord84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beloved cat Lucy is a rescue, and she is my best friend. She came to us with a severe case of ear mites. During the course of the treatment, we’ve been swabbing her ears out, which she HATES. She’s still scratching at her ears to the point of them bleeding. She was a very social cat before we started the treatment, but now she barely comes out from under the bed. She will only eat if she’s put Into a room by herself, and just generally stays completely out of sight. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain and irritation of the ear mites, and anything I can do to help her return to her old loving, lap cat self? I’m getting desperate! Thanks for you time!

Attachments

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to hear that about your Lucy. My feral last fall when I found her also had ear mites. I bought at Walmart the ear mite drops, and then an ear wash. I’d warm it up underneath warm water, and drop it into her ears and wipe out with cotton... now she HATED & DESPISED this process. ( you know) I’ve still got scars from her scratches. She began to hide and wanted nothing to do with me. But the issue was eradicated before she was taken to vet to be spayed. During my search on reading on ear mite issues, if they are severe enough they will cause parasites ( that could be part of her issue as well) and there is a topical medication that will combat both issues. And for the life of me I cannot recall what it’s called. Ugh, maybe you can internet search or talk to your vet. Love and hugs to you and Lucy.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! It's nice to meet you. Lucy is a beautiful girl and bless you for rescuing her. Did the vet prescribe an ear mite medicine? The reason I ask is because our vet prescribes ear drops that just require a gentle rubbing after application. The cats still hate them, but they get over the experience quick. I was wondering if maybe you could ask for a change in medication, if your vet thinks there is another alternative. Good luck and please keep us posted on how she does. Ick, how I hate ear mites!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minorchord84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the replies! The mites finally seem to be clearing up a bit, and though Lucy still HATES the process, she is finally out from under the bed, and seems to be feeling much better. Thank you all for your advice, and thanks for just being so nice! I had asked the same question a few other places and this was by FAR the nicest message board. Thanks again!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stronghold (the USA name is Revolution) treats ear mites too. If you haven't used a treatment for parasites (or for the next time) check with the vet if it's OK to use that as well in addition to wiping the ears. Also, she's a cutie pie.