Need help!!

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just figured out how much I'm paying a month in cat food and now I'm in tears.

I feed feral cats who all seem to have issues with food. I also feed another cat who I think can't have anything with chicken , Turkey, Duck and peas.

Then there is my indoor cat who has IBD and allergic to everything.I have her under control but it costs a lot for her food but can't change anything to bring price down.

I have 4 cats that are doing good on the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry food and 2 cats that can't have it because of the peas and or Duck.

I have to buy several different foods all expensive.

Maddie is eating First Mate Chicken and Blueberries dry food and a a can of Chicken for kittens, it's the only canned food I have found she can eat. She still itches like crazy but it keeps her mouth from getting ulcers and swelling. She can't have peas and she can't eat any of the Friskies canned food like my other 4 can.

Shadow can't have anything with Chicken, Turkey, Duck or Peas. She is eating Fancy Feast canned Beef but she is not rubbing the fur off of her ears and nose.

We never have money for food so I sat down and figured how much as of now I'm spending on feeding the cats. It comes to around $215.00 sometimes more.

I don't really know what I'm asking, I just know we are hungry all the time. I guess I just needed to vent while I sit here crying.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really sorry you're in this situation.  You give so much to those cats.  I'm going to send you a PM but wanted to let you know about the following Washington resources in case you don't already know about them.  They might not be much help since all your kitties need special diets, but they're worth checking out.  

Bellingham, WA
Whatcom Humane Society Pet Food Bank
Food is distributed on a first come, first serve basis Tuesday � Saturday from 10am � 6pm at the Williamson Way facility. WHS distributes pet food at the Bellingham Food Bank on the last Monday of each month starting at noon.
Address: 3710 Williamson Way, Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 733-2080
www.whatcomhumane.org/php/index.php?outreach

Seattle, WA
Seattle Humane Society Pet Food Bank
For low income, elderly and disabled persons. Contact for more info.
Phone: (425) 641-0080
seattlehumane.org

Below are from Humane Society of US website   http://www.humanesociety.org/animal...ing_pet.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Washington

Northwest Spay & Neuter Center: Tacoma (spay/neuter assistance for owned pets and feral cats)

Concern for Animals: Thurston, Mason and Lewis Counties (spay/neuter, pet food and veterinary care assistance)

Forget Me Not Animal Shelter: Republic (spay/neuter assistance)

Humane Society for Seattle/King County: Bellevue (low-income senior citizen's pet food assistance, discounted spay/neuter and microchipping, pet project assistance for individuals disabled by AIDS)

Olympic Mountain Pet Pals: Jefferson County (spay/neuter assistance for low-income pet owners, TNR for community cats)

PAWS of Bainbridge Island: Bainbridge Island and North Kitsap (spay/neuter, vaccination, pet food, veterinary care assistance; additional services for seniors)

Seattle Humane Society: Seattle (services for low-income, disabled, and senior pet owners: spay/neuter, vaccination, pet food, veterinary care assistance) 

Progressive Animal Welfare Society: Lynnwood (spay/neuter assistance, microchip and vaccination assistance, behavior helpline)

Spokane Valley Regional Animal Protection Service: Spokane Valley (spay/neuter assistance)

Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Good Samaritan Fund  (veterinary care assistance)

Whatcom Humane Society: Bellingham (pet food, spay/neuter assistance)

Whidbey Animals' Improvement Foundation (WAIF): Whidbey Island (spay/neuter assistance for owned cats and ferals, crisis care assistance, pet food banks, and temporary foster care)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: I'm not surprised you're spending so much on cat food with so many mouths to feed. You're doing a wonderful thing by feeding these ferals, and I'm certain they appreciate your efforts :bigthumb:

Given the number of dietary issues you're dealing with, you might find it actually works out cheaper to make your own food. Check out the cooked recipies thread for balanced homemade recipes.

It might also be worth emailing the food companies praising their foods. You never know, they might send you some coupons. Worth a try ;) Consider signing up for a cashback site too, particularly if you get catfood online. You may not get much back per order, but every little helps! Run searches for coupons too...you never know what will come up ;)

You're doing an amazing thing for these cats, but you have to make sure to look after your own needs too. Don't lose site of that :hugs:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't already, try and get hooked up with a non-profit so that a) all your pet food for ferals/fosters is tax deductible and b) you might be able to get food or help with food from them. 

I agree with the other comment about making your own food. With so many cats with food allergies you'd probably save a lot making homecooked rather than trying to buy food that's novel protein.

I feed 10 indoor cats plus around 5 ferals and I spend over 1k a month in food/pet expenses. I'm working on completing the 501c3 so that i can write off and get donations for the cost of my feralsf/fosters.

I'm very fortunate that we can afford it, but its not cheap to try and feed cats foods without fillers or novel protein sources. Good luck!

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the suggestions to find some help is going to have to happen.  There comes a point where you have to put yourself first.  It's one thing to go without now and then to help someone or something else. It's another when it is impacting your life daily.  You need to get help from an animal organization or a food bank for yourselves.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what  a selfless person you are, I hope you can find help. It is people like you that make me proud to be associated with the TCS.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seriously. I am so humbled and impressed by all you do for these cats. You are amazing. Never forget that. 

I second reaching out to a non-profit to see if you can get registered for help with pet food for your cats. I think meeting with someone and explaining your situation will help. I know of a few non-profits in my area that provide all of the vet cost, food, and litter for cats that you foster. I bet there is something similar for feral cats. Especially if you can provide receipts, vet records, etc of your care for them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do have a few places that hand out food but not the kind mine can have.

I was just having a little pity party and feeling so down today. I think tomorrow will be better. 
I just get so frustrated that my feral cats have so many issues and I try so hard to find something they all can eat and 3 years later I'm still looking.

I just need to stop sitting at the computer and trying to find something in my budget that they all can have. I know after a few hours on the computer I end up in tears.

The weather has been spring like here and I see all these feral cats running around looking so good that I know the people are feeding Friskies dry food and Friskies canned. I spend so much money on mine and no matter what I feed 2 of them look horrible. None of them can eat any cheap food or they get mouth ulcers and itch like crazy.

Anyway thanks for being there for me while I had my meltdown.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know how you feel, I spend ridiculous amounts of money on cat food too.

I've found I can save quite a bit by shopping around. Look out for special offers, 2 for 1 deals, money off vouchers etc. Some places sell one of the kinds of food my cats like much cheaper than others. Make a note of what brands cost what at each store and bulk buy whenever you spot a bargain. It's often cheaper to buy online. You've just got to keep checking prices and buy a lot when the prices are low.

My cats don't get the best diet possible, but the important thing is they aren't starving, they have a safe place to sleep and they are loved. I know you can say the same for your ferals too.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do have a question about the amount of food one of my feral cats eat.

Maddie used to be my smallest one, she was not fat but not real skinny either. I have been having a hard time finding food she can eat without her bottom lip and chin swelling. If she eat anything with peas in it her front paws will swell too. She has always been a cat that is a little OCD when grooming but she never made herself bald.

She now has major bald spots on her back area and the base of her tail, she has this even after she has been treated for fleas. Her coat looks bad and the areas she does have fur it's broken fur that is short, hard to explain.

I have her on First Mate Chicken meal with Blueberries dry food and the canned food she gets is Blue Wilderness kitten formula. She can't seem to have anything that says chicken liver in the ingredients and that's why she is on the kitten canned food.

I feed her 1/8 cup of dry with half of a 3 ounce can in the morning. She gets 1/8 cup dry and the other half of the 3 ounce can in the evening. Since I started her on this food she has gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I don't feel it is to much food for a feral cat, the dry pieces are big so she doesn't even get as much food as the others. Could it be the POTATO that is in both foods causing her to gain so much weight?

I have tried so many different foods for her and this is the one that doesn't make her mouth or feet swell. Like I said she still pulls her fur out but I think that is better for her to deal with then the swelling. I can't see giving her less as she is the first one done and always wanting more.

If I were to take away the dry every now and then and feed her canned only, would two 3 ounce cans be enough? Do you think it would help her to lose some weight?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up the chicken with blueberries food (this one, right?) and see that potato's the second ingredient, which would make me suspect the carbs are pretty high. I'd guess the potato's likely contributing to the weight gain. I wasn't sure which of the BB foods you're feeding but since you said it also has potato that could be contributing, too, as could other starchy vegetables in the food.

I'm not sure how big she is, but two three-ounce cans a day might be enough, particularly if they're caloric kitten food. Do all the labels have enough calorie and volume/weight numbers that you can calculate how much canned food to substitute for the dry food you take away? (That should be easier than it probably is, considering labels!)

How frustrating that you've gone through so much to find a food she can eat without an itchy reaction and then she gains too much weight! You do so much to take care of so many cats!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing an amazing job for those cats! On the other hand, self-care is very important. You can't continue to help others if you yourself can't eat.

We live on a pretty modest income and I have two "unplanned kitties." I didn't intentionally seek them out but they needed my help and I couldn't say no. In addition, I foster for a local rescue. We were spending so much on food bills! I finally had to give myself permission to feed the cats cheaper food. Eating cheaper cat food is preferable to being homeless or worse alternatives. So I wait until Friskies 13 oz pate cans go on sale for $0.70 each and buy 36 of them. That will be mainly be for the fosters.

My personal cats will eat mostly 4Health grain free canned food from a Tractor Supply. At $0.69 per 5.5 oz can it's very economical and it's a good food.

I had to tell myself that the cats don't benefit if we can't pay our rent or heating bills.

I hope that something works out for you.:hugs:

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I looked up the chicken with blueberries food (this one, right?) and see that potato's the second ingredient, which would make me suspect the carbs are pretty high. I'd guess the potato's likely contributing to the weight gain. I wasn't sure which of the BB foods you're feeding but since you said it also has potato that could be contributing, too, as could other starchy vegetables in the food.

I'm not sure how big she is, but two three-ounce cans a day might be enough, particularly if they're caloric kitten food. Do all the labels have enough calorie and volume/weight numbers that you can calculate how much canned food to substitute for the dry food you take away? (That should be easier than it probably is, considering labels!)

How frustrating that you've gone through so much to find a food she can eat without an itchy reaction and then she gains too much weight! You do so much to take care of so many cats!
Yes, that is the dry food she is eating right now. I would like to get her off of that but not sure if I could afford just canned food for her. I wish she could eat what the others are eating. That little bag is not cheap so maybe I wouldn't be spending much more if she went on all wet food.

I feed her the Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe for kittens in the canned food. It says on the 3 ounce can it's 126 calories. It doesn't come in a bigger can. I'm not good at figuring out how many calories they need or I should feed. I can't weigh her to see how much she weighs right now.

I just know that she has gotten huge in a short amount of time on what I'm feeding her and she always seems to be hungry. Do you think 2 cans would be enough for the day?  I might try again looking for something canned that she can have but I hate to see her mouth get so bad.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked the calories on the food page and it looks like the calories for 1/4 C of dry food, her daily dry ration, are around 135-140, so a bit higher than one can of food. The canned food might sate her more, though, because it has more protein and water. Plus it would be have lower carbs so should help with the weight.

Might it work to feed her half the dry food and 1.5 cans of wet food a day? Even that might help since it would cut half of the dry food. It sounds like there aren't really any other (cheaper) wet food options, right? (I know how frustrating it is to have limitations! We have them, too, and they are not cheap to follow.)

Good luck! Your cats are very lucky to have you looking out for them!

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked the calories on the food page and it looks like the calories for 1/4 C of dry food, her daily dry ration, are around 135-140, so a bit higher than one can of food. The canned food might sate her more, though, because it has more protein and water. Plus it would be have lower carbs so should help with the weight.

Might it work to feed her half the dry food and 1.5 cans of wet food a day? Even that might help since it would cut half of the dry food. It sounds like there aren't really any other (cheaper) wet food options, right? (I know how frustrating it is to have limitations! We have them, too, and they are not cheap to follow.)

Good luck! Your cats are very lucky to have you looking out for them!
Last night I fed Maddie one 3 ounce can of the Blue Wilderness Chicken with no dry food and this morning I fed her one 3 ounce can. I'm still wondering if that would be enough for her for the day.

I will finish the bag that I have but I really don't want to buy this anymore. It's a small bag and it costs me over $16.00 a month just for her dry food. The pieces are big and she has a hard time eating them anyway.

She started to gain weigh right away and I used to call her my little Maddie........she is not so little anymore. The small can of kitten says it's 126 calories, If I fed two cans wouldn't 252 calories a day be enough or maybe I didn't figure something out right. I'm just trying to find a way to cut out this dry food.

I already pay $30.00 a month for the Natural Balance dry food and then all the canned food I buy is really adding up. This would all be so much easier if they could all eat the same foods.

Thanks for your help.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered purchasing Blue Wilderness canned food in 5.5 oz cans and buying a case at a time from Chewy.com? I've seen some really awesome case prices on there before.

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you considered purchasing Blue Wilderness canned food in 5.5 oz cans and buying a case at a time from Chewy.com? I've seen some really awesome case prices on there before.
The thing is she can't seem to have anything that says liver or chicken liver in the product. The kitten food does not list liver and her lip doesn't swell on it. I did start out with the bigger cans but her bottom lip got really bad so had to stop that food.

I had once bought her some First Mate canned food because all that's in it is Chicken , Chicken liver and then the vitamins. I tried the First Mate Turkey also because again it was only Turkey, chicken liver and vitamins, that is when she got really bad and it took a long time to get her mouth to look better. Something about the chicken liver is causing problems. The only canned food I have found without any kind of liver in it is the BB Wilderness Chicken Recipe for kittens.