Need help with ??

Cheryl g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I’m doing a course about cats psychology and training
I have a ? What do you think about cats being desexed really need opinions please help 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As was stated, TCS is pro spay/neuter. We do have a forum dedicated to responsible breeding.
Showing and Ethical Breeding

I have always spayed or neutered any pet that I have owned, and participate in TNR as needed in order to control the population and enhance the quality of life for those ferals who have no chance of adapting to life as a pet on any level.

Pet Statistics
There are some statistics here from the ASPCA about the number of cats who enter shelters each year and who are euthanized for lack of homes.

If a single female cat has three litters a year, of three kittens each, and those kittens go on to breed there will be thousands of kittens born over the next few years.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes C Cheryl g as you've already been told, we are a dedicated spay and neuter site. What you will find here are reasons to do this, not whether it should be done. That's a given.
I'm not sure where you found a cat psychology and training course that would include whether or not to spay and neuter?

As noted above in the article offered to you, you have all the reasons that you could possibly need. The term 'desexing' should be replaced with spaying/neutering.
Just curious, do you call a tubal ligation or a vasectomy, in humans, as 'desexing'?
To be honest, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , it's a term that is used often in Australia. The AWL and RSPCA refer to it in that way.
Desexing

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a single female cat has three litters a year, of three kittens each, and those kittens go on to breed there will be thousands of kittens born over the next few years.
This. Daisy was three years old and hadn’t been spayed when I adopted her (she was immediately I did, of course; the RSPCA doesn’t release animals for adoption until it’s done). I shudder to think how many litters she must have had.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all I’m doing a course about cats psychology and training
I have a ? What do you think about cats being desexed really need opinions please help 😊
I regret not having my Mignon nutered sooner at 9yrs it's a bit scary but our old vet was concerned about a reaction to anesthesia he had as a kitten but it has caused some issues like unwanted pregnancy in a female rescue and spraying as well as occasionally attacking our spayed female when our old vet retired after getting COVID our new vet said he is willing to butter my boy the old vet was being overly cautious because he was a farm vet so my boys due to be neutered later this month after a series of delays due to my own health issues.