Need HELP with pancreatitis. Probiotics help or hurt?

catmom203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First my kitty has CKD. You will see that is you look at all my previous threads/posts. He was on the Renadyl (Azodyl in the human version) and I read that probiotics can kill you if you have acute pancreatitis. I asked the vet and he said he had never heard that but I read and although as I understand it probiotics are bad in acute necrotizing pancreatitis. I emailed the links to the vet and he didn't reply yet. 

My kitty isn't doing good. He isn't perky. He is eating and not vomiting but he is on Cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite and Cerenia for vomiting and nausea on alternating days.

I need more information on probiotics? Will it help or hurt pancreatitis?

I don't want to upset the apple cart with the CKD since his numbers improved quite a bit. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't heard that about probiotics before either.  It will be interesting to hear what the vet says about the links you sent him.

I do know that digestive enzymes can be a bad idea with certain types of pancreatitis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said that enzymes would be good to help reduce the load on the pancreas. Where did you read that enzymes were not good for pancreatitis?

He said that either Mercola pet enzymes or The Pet Health and Nutrition Center Digestive brand that I have would be good. Both have probiotics.  I don't know if he should have them or not now. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should always follow your vet's advice particularly if you trust him rather than what you read on the internet.

I have no personal experience with pancreatitis, only what I read here and seen on the internet.  The way I understand it there are two types of pancreatitis.  One is a chronic form that occasionally flares and is caused by the pancreas not producing enough digestive enzymes, that is the one that the addition of enzymes helps.  The other one is always acute and the pancreas is often actually producing too much enzymes.  The enzymes actually begin breaking down the pancreas.  The way I understand it that is the one that digestive enzymes shouldn't be given for.