Need Help With Multiple Cats And Different Feeding Needs

rcasey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I am having a problem with feeding my two geriatric (18yo) cats, a male and a female. The boy has been losing a lot of weight, his blood work is perfect, he does have some dental issues.

I began feeding some wet foods a few times a day on the advice of the vet although dry and freeze dried raw is always available but dry is hard in their old teeth. The problem is he likes to eat a couple bites and walk away to revisit a few minutes later but she is a garbage disposal and devours her food and then goes to clean his plate. I've tried feeding separately in different rooms but with the way he eats one of them would have to be locked up indefinitely, which I can't do. As a result she is eating too much and he isn't getting enough, sadly she's literally killing him or that's how it feels.

Any tricks or advice anyone can think of for a situation like this? It's become very stressful for us. Thanks!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try a microchip feeder - it’s programmed to open only for the correct microchip so he can go as often as possible.

We have a similar issue with our 9 year old Gohan - a grazer - and 4 year old Olive - our piggy. We eventually switched Gohan to regular mealtimes. Not sure how hard that would be on an older cat, and it did take time. We feed them four times per day and eventually he figured out he will be hungry between meals if he doesn’t finish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rcasey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Karenkat. I will try the regular feed times and see how he does with it, if that doesn't work I'll be ordering that device! I appreciate you taking the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rcasey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and loving that you named your kitty Gohan!! :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem! It did take him a week or so to get used to the regular meals. Honestly I think he had to stretch his stomach a little to eat more. We also found he did best with 4 meals a day, my BF works from home so he is able to feed a noon meal, which helped a lot.

And my boyfriend is a huge DBz fan, so he gets all the credit.