Need Help With Kitten Wet Food

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone
My son got me a kitten..And the lady that had him..says he only eats dry kitten food..which I believe thats what she started giving him regular as soon as he could eat solid foods..Im guessing
But ive bought so many wet brands and either donated or sent back for refund cause Fudgey will refuse to eat
I need some suggestions on some wet foods
Please..cause I do not want him eating dry only
He does eat I would say in the morning 1/2 of a 3 oz can if im lucky
But none in the afternoon or evening
He wants the dry
Im at a stand still
I just recently lost my precious Snowball
I cant go through this again
But I had Snowball 12yrs
Had kitten few months..
My son got him for me
Any help is appreciated

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Try adding a tiny bit of water to his dry food, and if he eats it that way, you can continue to add more and more over time.
You can also try using his dry food as a topper to the wet foods, and vice-versa - some wet food as a topper to the dry. Again gradually increasing the wet food and decreasing the dry.
He is still a kitten, so he should have access to dry as well as any wet food that you can get him to eat - at least until he stops growing.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CatLover49 CatLover49

Dry food is not needed for kittens, high protein and low carb wet food is much better. Adding water to dry food is not a good idea either, as it will grow bacteria if not eaten right away.

Unfortunately, your kitten has gotten used to dry food early. They can become dry food addicts, as the spray used on dry food is enticing to cats.

I would limit the dry given and not leave it out all the time for free feeding.
As he is eating wet, try introducing different flavors and textures slowly over time to give more variety.
For a topper, try crumbled freeze dried treats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are tips:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
CatLover49 CatLover49

Dry food is not needed for kittens, high protein and low carb wet food is much better. Adding water to dry food is not a good idea either, as it will grow bacteria if not eaten right away.

Unfortunately, your kitten has gotten used to dry food early. They can become dry food addicts, as the spray used on dry food is enticing to cats.

I would limit the dry given and not leave it out all the time for free feeding.
As he is eating wet, try introducing different flavors and textures slowly over time to give more variety.
For a topper, try crumbled freeze dried treats.
Yes the previous owner when he was with them..she had said dry was his favorite..n I said well he will get a little dry in the evening maybe
But hes getting wet mostly
And no I dont leave the dry out for free feeding

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely try using his dry food as a topper on the any wet food you try. Crush the dry food first or else mix it into the wet, or try it both ways.

Try all kinds of different textures and flavors of wet. Some cats like pate, some like slices, some like minced, some like shreds, some like turkey, some like lamb, some like rabbit - you ger the idea. And you don't need to stick to just Kitten foods. You can go with any All Stages food, which may open up a whole new world. Also, if using crushed kibble as a topper doesn't work, you might try FortiFlora. when all else fails with one of mine, including freeze dried raw and/or 100% freeze dried chicken or salmon, I pull out the FortiFlora. Works every time. Not all cats like it, but most do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And no I dont leave the dry out for free feeding
When they are kittens, there is nothing wrong with leaving out dry food, as they need all the food they desire. The key is to throw out old dry food that he has eaten from (because of saliva remnants) and replace it with new in a clean bowl. Overnight is not going to be harmful enough to worry about, and will allow him to eat some if he needs it. If you are worried about him eating too much dry, just don't leave out as much, and then toss the remainder in the morning.