Need help with food switch!

JonesyS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m new here, and I desperately need some help/advice/tips! I’ve been trying to switch my two young cats from wet food to raw food. I bought the TC Feline supplement mix and I’ve been mixing in the chicken liver and some chicken thighs with bone. They keep getting diarrhea from the mix. I had started by just giving them ground chicken thighs with bone before I added the liver and TC mix. They did amazing with the chicken thighs, but the second I incorporated the liver/TC powder—crazy watery diarrhea. I’ve been trying to slowly add it in for little over a month and they keep having intermittent diarrhea! I’ve even started baking the liver/thigh mix. If I try to add more than a teaspoon they get diarrhea. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, are you saying you’re using meat with bone and add TC Feline? I think TC Feline should be added to the boneless meat, I’d verify that. Not sure if they have several formulas for meat with/without bones as Alnutrin does. If you add TC Feline with freeze dried bones to the meat with bones, that also could be the cause of the problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JonesyS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wait, are you saying you’re using meat with bone and add TC Feline? I think TC Feline should be added to the boneless meat, I’d verify that. Not sure if they have several formulas for meat with/without bones as Alnutrin does. If you add TC Feline with freeze dried bones to the meat with bones, that also could be the cause of the problems.
Yes, so this was my first time creating the mixture and I had read that ground bones were good for cats, so I thought I could take the liberty of adding bone-in chicken thighs. But that was me improvising...I know the TC mix doesn’t call for bones to be added at all. Do you think the combo could be part of the problem?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ground bones are good for young cats provided you’re following the recipe. If you want to use ground meat&bones, you can use Alnutrin premix for meat&bones, just make sure you’re adding right % of bones to the meat (probably no more than 10% or less).
When you use premixes, you must follow the recipe, otherwise you loose control over the mineral/vitamins content of the food and it can cause nutritional deficiencies/excess and other serious problems. I wouldn’t be surprised if the extra bones cause diarrhea as well (although I would expect the opposite..). I’d discard your current batch and prepare a new one without additional bones. TC Feline already have them. Or get Alnutrin and add to the correct mix with bones.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd follow the exact instructions as printed on the TCFeline label instead of adding extra things because you think it's good. Too much bone /calcium can cause constipation.

TCFeline has two products with liver added already. Maybe try that instead of adding fresh liver to the Original product.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JonesyS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both very much! This is super helpful and I’ll definitely follow the directions very carefully from now on!