Need Help With Fiv Positive Male Tiger Cat

janeeller04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter has a cat, Willie, who is FIV positive. He is such a loving, sweet cat and so affectionate. He was a stray she took in and she has had him since 2015. However, she has also taken in other cats who are negative to FIV and feline leukemia who the humane society is trying to help her get adopted. She has too many cats and her health precludes her from being able to care for all of them. The problem is that the humane society will help her get her cats placed only when it has been 90 days from the date that Willie is removed from the household. She separated him right away on June 23 when all the cats were tested but he must be removed from the home before they will start counting the 90 days. She loves all of her cats and has taken good care of them but it is too much for her. They are going out of their way to help my daughter so does anyone know of a place that will take Willie? He is a really good and lovable guy. Is there anyone who would foster him for the 90 days or adopt him. She might consider keeping him but if he could be adopted it would be better for him to be in a home by himself or with other FIV cats. Otherwise she has to euthanize him. It could be that he was vaccinated against FIV and that is why he tests positive. Could someone please provide some ideas and help? Thank you for listening. She lives in Dayton, Ohio.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV is transmitted through deep puncture bites, not casual contact. There are many members on this site who have FIV positive and negative cats living together. Can't your daughter just isolate him to a room for 90 days? I find it odd that the humane society is saying he must be removed from the house.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an FIV positive kitty and he lives with 2 other cats that are FIV negative. As mentioned above, it is only transmitted through deep puncture bites/wounds. Most cats that live together and are all neutered do not fight to that level. My cats share everything. They eat together, groom each other, play, etc...

I hope that she can find out some more information from the Humane Society.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just to agree with the other posters, FIV is only transmitted through deep bites. In the internet cat duo, Cole and Marmelade, Marmelade is FIV+ and Cole is FIV-, and they live together purrfectly. Here's a video clip explaining more about them:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am in California and can't help except for prayers and suggestions. You can try joining NextDoor.com and try posting in the buy,sell,trade section on FaceBook.
Sadly, in my area, the same notion about FIV prevails so I understand what you are up against. The rescue group has no guarantee that a cat isolated in a room wont be allowed out/accidentally escape. I will keep all of you in my prayers - that your daughter gets her health restored, that you have peace and happiness, that Tiger gets a loving home, that the other kitties also get great homes. Please tell your daughter that I salute her for all the help that she has given the kitties so far - the needs are great and the resources few.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janeeller04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions but the humane society wont budge on this and wont help her with others until Willie is out of the home for 90 days. He is such a lovable guy and gentle soul. Once we wait 90 days they will retest rest of cats and then take as many as they can for adoption. My daughter wants Willie back. I will keep plugging away and try the sites you recommend. Thanks so much for all of your kindnesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janeeller04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your support. I made a lot of calls yesterday and found out that Cleveland Ohio has a rescue for positive FIV cats. I am awaiting a call for intake appointment and they totally get FIV cats and it sounds like they will take Willie and get him adopted. For the time being I am having my daughter bring Willie to my home tomorrow and I will keep him until we can get him in for appointment. I also called Humane Society today telling them what we are doing and again asking if we could at least get credit for time he was separated from the other cats starting June 23. Crosss your fingers. I have allergies but can tuff it out for Willie's sake. I will keep all of you updated to the outcome to all of this.