Need Help With Cat Introduction

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for advice on how to make introducing a new cat to my resident cat go more smoothly. Plus reassurance that it will all work out eventually. I've never had this much trouble before.

My resident cat, Emily, is about 3 years old. She was rescued off the streets at 4 months of age and I adopted her from a foster home (where she was one of 13 cats!) when she was 18 months old. She is a rather timid cat but has lived around other cats until I adopted her. I recently moved to a new house on a busy road so she has had to become an indoor-only cat. Previously I let her roam freely during the day. I was worried she'd be bored stuck on her own indoors all day while I was at work (in the old pre-Covid 19 days) so I decided to adopt another cat.

Four weeks ago I adopted an 18 month old male cat called Goblin. He has always been a pet cat but was put up for adoption as he was too playful and was keeping his previous owners up at night. He plays rough so I suspect he was taken from his mother at too early an age. He was said to be a timid cat also and one who likes to be around his human but not sit on laps. I thought he sounded a good match as Emily loves sitting on laps when she's in the mood but otherwise prefers to be off doing her own thing.

The first week I kept Goblin in the spare room. I spent time in there just hanging out and also playing with him. I would pat him with a sock on my hand and then go and pet Emily using the same sock to get them used to each other's scent. There was no hissing so I let them start sniffing each other under the door. Again no hissing so in the second week I let them meet. They were wary but sniffed each other and then backed off, but no hissing so I thought this is going well.

We are now at week four and it has been going mostly downhill. One step forward and two steps back. Initially Goblin was very nervous about leaving his room and exploring the rest of the house. Now he is full of confidence and he is very playful. He wants to play with Emily and pounces or stalks her. She gets frightened and hisses at him before running off. He thinks this is part of the game and chases her. I've tried distracting him by playing with him - wand toys or laser points - and this worked for a while. I would also give Emily treats whenever she would tolerate him having him in the same space.

We've managed to watch Netflix together all three of us on the couch twice and in the same room perhaps twice more but not recently. Goblin really likes being around his human. If Emily is on my lap he has to come over to investigate. She gets agitated, hisses and runs off and he chases. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Today I just gave up and have Emily shut up in my bedroom so she can have some peace and quiet. But I'm not sure what to do next. I can try keeping her here for a few days and then try brief, controlled meetings when Goblin is at his least playful before letting them both have free range of the house but why will it work any better a second time?

I have a two storey house, with two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs - all with doors - but the downstairs is just one big open plan area so one cat gets to roam freely while the other gets a single room. Putting a gate across the stairwell so I can separate upstairs from downstairs won't work unfortunately as letting one be an upstairs cat and the other a downstairs would be a decent, stopgap solution.

Suggestions for what I can try next would be most welcome.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not clear that more introduction-y stuff will help, since Emily seems to be bothered by Goblin because he is a hyper 1 1/2 year old, not because of any intrinsic hatred or fear. This is a not uncommon problem when only one cat is super active. You heard from the prior owners that Goblin was super active, so this isn't a fluke, and wont change right away.

There is really no fix for this sort of thing except time together. Eventually, Goblin will calm down a bit and Emily will become more comfortable with him. As long as they aren't fighting for real, and Emily is eating and using the box, you can let them work it out. Give Emily a break now and then behind a closed door, but don't overdo it since Goblin will just get more eager for her, and she will never see chill Goblin - and she needs to see chill Goblin.

In hindsight, this probably wasn't a good match. It is considered important to match cat activity levels, especially with adult cats, and Goblin's seems to be higher than average. But I don't think its hopeless, and you should see improvement with time. If nothing else, almost all cats chill out gradually as they get close to two years.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't really sound too bad, if it's only hissing, chasing and running. Generally we say, if there's no fur flying, blood, or one cat seeming really scared or stressed, that things are ok.

As A ArtNJ wondered, is Emily eating and using the litter box normally. If so, just keep spending time with her and telling her you still love her. You can try doing doing things like giving them treats when they're together, so she can learn to see Goblin in a less negative way.

Here's the TCS article on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction, if you're interested.

Also Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. It is comforting to hear it isn't perhaps as bad as I think.

I hadn't realised how hyper active Goblin was. He'd been given up at about 12 months and put into foster care. I assumed his previous owners had misunderstood typical kitten behaviour. Also, as he was now 18 months old I had assumed he had calmed down some. His foster carer didn't hadn't any complaints but then she didn't have other cats too.

Emily is eating and using the litter tray normally. I make sure she can do so without interference from Goblin.

Emily generally likes to hang around when I'm playing with Goblin, and even took a swipe at the toy herself once or twice, so she doesn't find him entirely too much.

I'm just not sure how much I should intervene when there is hissing and chasing. Leaving them to it seem unkind to Emily.