Need Help With Baby Stray! Please Help!

jcrusher929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Monday my father went out for a run with a friend and found a cat meowing under a portapotty with a flea collar on but no identification collar or tag. It was about to storm so he brought the cat home. The cat looks to be around 6 months to a year old. We are not sure if it has an owner or if it is a stray. We have made a post in a facebook relating to our area an hour or so after we found it but no one has responded claiming the cat yet. The cat was potty trained but can be a bit frisky (it will bat your hand but with no claws or rarely nibble you for a second). It meows almost a lot and I and I am not sure if it just wants attention because it is a youngling or if it is missing its mother or something. It also runs around the house and easily gets scared, it also attacks its carrying bag in a somewhat playful way for some reason. I am not sure if the meowing and We have a cat already at another house so I know at least the basics to take care of it but our cat is older and we got it when it was pretty much out of its young sparatic days. Please let me know why the cat keeps meowing and how I would be able to help it out in anyway to feel more comfortable while we try and find its potential owner (if you think it might have one or not let me know).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: jcrusher929, welcome to TCS!

As you mentioned that the cat has a flea collar and potty trained, likely it belongs to someone who has let it out or have moved and left thence behind or just simply abandoned it.

The cat is meowing and somewhat afraid is because the place and surroundings are new to him and maybe also looking for it's mates or momma.

You can try calming him down with food and play with him using a cat wand but get yourself low so that you don't look intimidating to him. Once he realized that you are not a threat to him and you are the one with food, he'll naturally calm down and slowly warm up to you.

Do keep us posted of the progress please.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No way to know what he/she has been thru but it is probably scared. can u fix up a cardboard box on its side with a soft blanket in it? That way it can have a safe place from where to observe the new surroundings. A stuffed animal would be a nice touch too. You didn’t mention food so I assume it is eating. But I would offer both some wet and dry food since you don’t know what it is accustomed to. Then of course pet and love on him/her as much as it is comfortable with. Thanks for helping this little one both you and your dad are great! I’m sure others will have advice to help soon too

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take off the flea collar! They are not a healthy way to control fleas for a cat. plus they can snag on things and potentially strangle your cat. If you want a collar, buy a regular one (not a flea collar) that is labeled as a "breakaway" collar.

Your cat sounds like a healthy 6 month old kitten. Give or take several months. You should feed her/him kitten for wet or dry until a year of age.

You might want to take the cat to a vet or rescue group for a scan to see if it has a chip. If there is a chip, you can find the owner. And if it has been spayed or neutered. If female, she might be going into heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcrusher929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It started off by hiding in the corner with a pile of work boxes but know roams around the whole house. When we brought it home it ate almost 2 cans of tuna and a cup of dry food. The flea collar looked like it was recently put on since the fur on its neck wasn't too ruffled and I found the brand at the store saying that it was a 7 month flea collar. I think that it is a breakaway since there is a sliding piece on it that can come off with a decent tug. We bought it a bed and some toys which it loves the toys and looks like it is taking some energy out of him so he won't be jolting around as much. I hope that he likes the bed because so far he has only slept under the couch where he usually retreats to if there is a loud noise or something and the treadmill where he slept once on the first night before we showed him around. We are planning to take it to the vet soon I think so we can get it check for a chip and see what it really is (I think it is a male from a quick check but idk :I) For food we are using dry for breakfast and a mix of wet and dry for dinner (the brand is fancy feast and we got some Friskies as well... my other cat only eats dry food and human food so let me know if either of those brands are bad for him) Thank you all so much for the help so far, I don't really know much about this cat so the info is much appreciated!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he is still a kitten. Which means he needs lots of kitten food to grow. The meowing may be him saying I’m hungry. Leave dry kibble out all day for him with a bowl of water. And feed him wet food 4 times a day. Getting him his own bed and toys is great. He should start feeling like he belongs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to call Animal Control to report him found. There's a procedure to follow to make sure everything checks out legally. Also post on your town's lost and found pet Facebook page (pretty much every town has one).

jcrusher929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I will upload a picture soon, we posted a picture on our towns facebook page but he was found around the edge of our town so we will check if he has a chip this weekend. For Animal Control will they take the cat away from us? Like if the cat is not found with a chip then are they able to take it or are we able to help it find a home for adoption? I would prefer him to not be in a storage center waiting to be adopted when I know many people that would be willing to take him. Also how am I able to check if everything is legal... I don't want to break any laws.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can’t imagine anyone taking him from you if there is not a known owner. A vet can check for a chip instead of animal control and if there isn’t a chip and no one responds to your post. Then you finding him a forever home would be wonderful! You might want to post on Nextdoor app a lot of people use it in my area. Im so glad he is safe with you now. Let us know what happens please.

jcrusher929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got him checked a couple of days ago and there was no chip. The post is still up but as of right now we are just fostering the cat until we can find what to do with him. IDK if we are allowed to keep the cat or for how long we can keep it or what the steps to fostering the cat are. He is doing well though and has gained quiet a liking to us.

jcrusher929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Umm not to sure, I mean I wouldn't mind keeping how but I do not know if that is possible or what steps I would have to go through. If that is not possible then I guess we would try to find a good home for him that we know will treat him well.