Need help w/ outside kitties

cranny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a major problem w/ cats outside. We have 3 rescues which stay outside and are all neutered and spayed. One of them is feral(female) and all have been living here for the past 3-4 years. We have a large garage. I've mounted a pet door for them so they have access to it. For the last 2 wks. one of them, don't know which one, has been doing their business in the corner of the garage and will not stop! It is clean and free of dirt or debris so it can't cover it up. Also one of them, the male I assume, will jump up on my toolbox in my truck bed and spray the back window of my truck. We live in the country. You can't see any of our neighbors. We have close to 4 acres w/ a third being wooded. The remaining is all grass. Why w/ all of that space do they now want to crap in the garage where they sleep and eat?! Ughhhh! Is there any type of spray or chemical I can put down in order to deter this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just either cover the area with something large (temporarily), or else institute a cat box or even a pile of dirt or straw for them to use that can be raked up periodically.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cranny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Why not just either cover the area with something large (temporarily), or else institute a cat box or even a pile of dirt or straw for them to use that can be raked up periodically.
I put boxes in the area that's being used and now they're going right in front of that. No thanks on a litter box in the garage. I deal w/ enough litter for my inside cats. I'm not about to go through that outside when they have the entire yard to use. If I can't remedy this I'll just cover up their access and will not permit them inside the garage.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about rigging them a lean-to type of thing, deep enough so they can get in out of the rain if necessary, but not otherwise interesting enough to hang around in. The garage might have other attractions that you're not aware of... things cats like to chase, for instance!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, outside cats will spray or urinate or even poo as a sign that they're upset by the unfamiliar. Assuming it is not a health issue, it's probably a reaction to a strange animal (another cat, a rat, a fox, etc.) It could even be a new tool or car you bought.
Clean the soiled things with a good enzyme cleanser and consider a vet check up.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

In my experience, outside cats will spray or urinate or even poo as a sign that they're upset by the unfamiliar. Assuming it is not a health issue, it's probably a reaction to a strange animal (another cat, a rat, a fox, etc.) It could even be a new tool or car you bought.
Clean the soiled things with a good enzyme cleanser and consider a vet check up.
Completely and totally agreed. Let us know how things go!

Good vibes to you and yours!