Need help! Trying to determine if the feral/semi-feral cat under my patio could/should be a house cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly yes. Have the trap wired open and was hoping to put it out a day or two ago.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had had this feeling something was off, so my fiance and I made flyers and put them in our neighbors mailboxes explaining the cat was being cared for fed and to please not feed it. Got a call from my next door neighbor. Turns out she was feeding the cat three times a day 😳. We figured it out and said she would stop, so hopefully Kitty will be coming to us for food only. So far Kitty hasn't come today but I'm chalking it up to confusion and change in schedule?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had had this feeling something was off, so my fiance and I made flyers and put them in our neighbors mailboxes explaining the cat was being cared for fed and to please not feed it. Got a call from my next door neighbor. Turns out she was feeding the cat three times a day 😳. We figured it out and said she would stop, so hopefully Kitty will be coming to us for food only. So far Kitty hasn't come today but I'm chalking it up to confusion and change in schedule?
The other option you might consider would be to let the neighbor also feed the cat, but see if she would be willing to set up a trap as well. Perhaps, even plan a feeding schedule between the two of you so that the cat continues to frequent both places - just so it doesn't wander off only for some other neighbor to start giving it food? Just another idea if this cat doesn't come back to eat at your place very soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very soon being like the next day or two? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just don't have very much experience with cats
Theoretically, if the neighbor doesn't put out any food today, you would think you should see the cat come by your place for food. So, unless someone else is already been feeding it, I wouldn't wait too long. Maybe clue the neighbor in so you can have her keep a look out for the cat as well?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a great job and the flyers were a very good idea. I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that since there is a friendly neighbor which is not always the case with a stray cat it might make it easier on you to trap the cat if you both feed. It will also keep the cat in the same feeding pattern and probably prevent wandering off. You could probably then decide with the neighbor the best place to put the trap.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you fionasmom fionasmom and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner for all your help. Just called tbe neighbor and set it up. She'll do mornings since she is elderly and wakes up early and I will have evenings and we will go grom there. Seriously wouldn't be able to do this without all of your help ❤

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we were planning on trapping tomorrow but kitty came into the house and we thought we might try to just close the door behind it. That didn't work and we scared the poor thing. Worried now it won't come to us tomorrow for food let alone in the trap. We aren't even sure if it will go fully inside. The weather has been abominable so we were really just pushing the date forward. Feeling worried and frustrated. Do we put off trapping? In your all experience, will the cat avoid us for a while? Trying not to freak. I feel like I broke it's trust :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You really never know with cats if their trust is broken or not. I don't think that this cat has really lost trust in you as you are his caretakers and provide food along with the neighbor. I have had TNRed cats who were completely furious upon their release back at my property who ran off as if they would never return again which lasted right up until the realized that their next meal was only going to be served at my house. I would try to trap tomorrow which I realize might be today already.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty came back. Actually not long after I posted. Even came back inside which shocked me. We went ahead and tried to trap today but kitty wouldn't go in all the way. Must remember the last time. I guess it's back to start again. Feeling more confident, I guess it will just take more time. Thank you for the encouragement. Hopefully the saga is coming to an end soon. Always cringy to reread your own posts 😅