Need Help Transporting Rescue Kitten Houston To Nyc Or Mass Area.

flash whitelock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone traveling by American or Delta airlines in the next few weeks that would be willing to have a rescue kitten as their carry on? Kitten has slightly injured paw and is just barely old enough to be flying. It would be better for her healthwise to be in the cabin rather than in cargo. Trying to get her from wildlife rehabilitator to new prospective owner.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From @tarasgirl06 ;

bestfriends.org/resources
alleycat.org
and use your search engine and input something like "animal transporters" and the areas.
also, look up "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy on any/all social media. He and others are involved in freedom flights for cats from high-kill shelters in the South to other areas where there is a need for more adoptable cats.

Facebook

Pet Airways

Let me know if you need more. I'd start with Best Friends. They're getting organized in a major way in Houston

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try reaching out to Imagine Home and TheCatzMeow Care&Share on Facebook. You might be able to locate a flight-chaperone through their connections. And some of the TCM stories are awesome - just the other day, there was a happy ending for a military family who was moving across country & their 3yo let their cat out of an Idaho motel room. The cat was found days later but needed fostering or else would be taken to the kill shelter. TCM located a foster plus another transporter to get the cat from the motel to the foster & now arrangements are being made to ship the cat to her family in GA!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
TheCatzMeow Care and Share is the organization that I am most familiar with, and they've been mentioned. They have both a web site, and a Facebook presence, and a lot of wonderful folks there, moving kitties all over the country.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flash whitelock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TheCatzMeow Care and Share is the organization that I am most familiar with, and they've been mentioned. They have both a web site, and a Facebook presence, and a lot of wonderful folks there, moving kitties all over the country.
thank you for the reference. So far I have not had much luck. the wildlife rehabilitator agrees that she should be flown carryon not cargo and not go on a 3 day car ride. She's not eligible for many of the groups because she is too young (7 1/2 weeks we think) and she is not yet in shape that she can be vaccinated. Because she had hurt her foot she shouldn't be putting too much stress on it and I would like to minimize the jarring from long transport. She is finally healthy enough that she can be moved but I don't want to risk her going backwards. I want to get her up here to my vet and where I can oversee her care.

I was hoping to find someone already traveling that I could pay the costs to fly her as carry on and a stipend.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

flash whitelock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try these guys. I HAVE heard of them, but that's about all. If I had heard something bad, I'd have remembered that, for sure. That said, do due dilligence, as I know you would anyway!

://www.preciouspetstransport.com/services.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgMPgBRDDARIsAOh3uyJIWRpCCuHf4MiEdJajHgscJRAKvBzq5_tqF4rnf7COiTAqbXJdn2kaAslGEALw_wcB
Thanks for the tip, they apparently are for cargo. I need to find someone flying already that will take her. Between the wildlife person and myself, I can get her to and from the airport.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you've thought about this, but is there any way to adjust things somehow so she is a little easier to transport?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...I just had a really bizarre thought. Are there any fixed-base operations nearby? A fixed-base operation is a business that caters to small aircraft only. They may have private fields, or be adjacent to airports. IF there are any, call them, explain the need, and ask if they have pilots in the area going where you need to go who would be willing to take a kitten bound for a new, permanent home. My dad used to occasionally transport animals for people like this. All they can do is say no, which leaves you no worse off than you are right now. The down-side to this is that you would not have insurance unless you took it out yourself, privately.

Dad was a pilot, and was Chief of Operations at a fixed-base place. Many, many years ago, I actually air-hiked around the country like that.

flash whitelock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you've thought about this, but is there any way to adjust things somehow so she is a little easier to transport?
Time, just time. If I wait a month or two, she probably will be strong enough to deal with anything but that's not fair to the kitten or the wildlife rehab person.

flash whitelock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK...I just had a really bizarre thought. Are there any fixed-base operations nearby? A fixed-base operation is a business that caters to small aircraft only. They may have private fields, or be adjacent to airports. IF there are any, call them, explain the need, and ask if they have pilots in the area going where you need to go who would be willing to take a kitten bound for a new, permanent home. My dad used to occasionally transport animals for people like this. All they can do is say no, which leaves you no worse off than you are right now. The down-side to this is that you would not have insurance unless you took it out yourself, privately.

Dad was a pilot, and was Chief of Operations at a fixed-base place. Many, many years ago, I actually air-hiked around the country like that.
Brilliant idea. I will try on monday. Thanks