Need help to get two cats to get along.

pastelaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice on this situation.
About a week ago and a half ago, I got a new cat, set up a safe room for her and she's basically been living in that room. At first, she was rather scared. Wouldn't come out of her hiding spot to eat, drink etc. I eventually got her to come out by giving her some food, which she happily ate and of course, I also gave her a lot of affection and love.
Now she comes out of her hiding spot on her own, I assume because she is getting used to me and the house.
After she seemed to have gotten used to her new surroundings, I thought it was a good time to introduce my current resident cat to her. At first, the resident cat didn't like her and started to swipe her paw at her a few times, along with hissing and growling, but they never got into any serious cat fights.
Now, it seems like my resident cat is somewhat getting used to new one, but she only likes it when the new one stays in her safe room and if the new one tries to come out of the room to explore the house, the resident cat gets mad and pretty much chases her back to her safe room, but doesn't actually fight her.
However, if the resident cat is in the new cat's safe room, she doesn't hiss or try to swipe her etc. In fact, they can eat relatively close to each other, with only the new cat now seeming to hiss a little bit whenever the resident cat is too close to her (she never used to hiss at the resident cat before).
I was wondering if this is perhaps normal behavior for my resident cat and if she will eventually let the new cat come out of her room more and if the new one will also get used to the resident cat?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Cat to cat introductions can be tricky, and they take time. You're moving very fast, and its a fantastic sign that your resident cat will accept your new cat at all.

Basically, I'd suggest that you slow right down. Hissing is a sign that you're moving faster than your cats can handle. Work on scent swapping and site swapping for now. Its a non confrontational way to get your resident cat used to your new cat's presence in the home without the pressure of a face to face meeting.

This article sets out the best method to introduce a new cat to your home. Its a little involved, but it really is worth it to keep things as low stress as possible for all concerned.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been lucky in your introductions with no fights happening. I would say things are going rather well! I agree with the above, don't rush things, it takes one to several months for cats to get used to each other. Hissing and growling are completely normal. It is the only way cats can display their dissatisfaction with something or uncertainty. your new cat is hissing now because she is no longer as scared and uncertain, she is giving a warning to back off. Your new cat will get more comfortable and your resident cat will get used to having a friend around. Some day the new cat will stand her ground and a scuffle may happen. As long as there is no blood or deep bites it is normal. Loud screeching is normal but it should be over quickly. Do NOT leave them alone together until you are sure they get along. Just keep doing what you are doing, giving each a place to retreat to if they need it, like up on a table or on top of the fridge. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pastelaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Cat to cat introductions can be tricky, and they take time. You're moving very fast, and its a fantastic sign that your resident cat will accept your new cat at all.

Basically, I'd suggest that you slow right down. Hissing is a sign that you're moving faster than your cats can handle. Work on scent swapping and site swapping for now. Its a non confrontational way to get your resident cat used to your new cat's presence in the home without the pressure of a face to face meeting.

This article sets out the best method to introduce a new cat to your home. Its a little involved, but it really is worth it to keep things as low stress as possible for all concerned.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to work on scent swapping and I shall also check out the guide 😊