Need help potty training

Loveforallanimals92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a small dog I've had her since 2016 and she is stubborn with learning to use the restroom out side I can take her out and stay out a while but then I bring her back in and she uses the restroom on the floor and she knows not to do it cause soon as she does she goes straight to her crate... But the thing I don't get is I take her to other people's house to visit she will even let you know when even wants out to use the bathroom and she has never used the bathroom in anyone else's house just our house.. Please help me understand this and understand what im doing wrong

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She feels more comfortable in your house. Many dogs, especially small ones, are too distracted or feel too vulnerable to go easily outside. I have had several small dogs that I litter trained and that worked well for both of us. Get a litter box, put in a thin layer of unscented clay litter over a puppy training pad and see what she does. Or just a puppy training pad in the box. she may think it is novel enough to try it. You could also put the puppy pad upside down over a spot she peed in to soak some up and get her scent on it. Many breeders train their puppies to use a box and they are used to it. It wouldn't hurt!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There may be a smell in your house that reattracts her even if you are cleaning very well. Since she does understand the concept of not soiling houses, I would try the litter box and/or pads. I have had great luck with puppy pads for years with multiple dogs. It seems to sort of define that it is okay to use the house providing that you are only on this pad.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is there something in your yard she has an aversion to? Do you have a fenced in yard? Do your neighbors have a dog that may make her anxious? I would try to reinforce the good behavior outdoors with a special treat, e.g. something you don't usually give her in the house. Or take her on longer walks so that she becomes accustomed to going outdoors. Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Loveforallanimals92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there something in your yard she has an aversion to? Do you have a fenced in yard? Do your neighbors have a dog that may make her anxious? I would try to reinforce the good behavior outdoors with a special treat, e.g. something you don't usually give her in the house. Or take her on longer walks so that she becomes accustomed to going outdoors. Good luck! :goodluck:
I don't have a fenced in yard and yes the neighbors across the road from me has German shepherds and puppies .. But I will try keeping her out longer and treats thank you so much

Loveforallanimals92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a fenced in yard and yes the neighbors across the road from me has German shepherds and puppies .. But I will try keeping her out longer and treats thank you so much
Do you think the dogs across the road could affect her even with them being far

Loveforallanimals92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There may be a smell in your house that reattracts her even if you are cleaning very well. Since she does understand the concept of not soiling houses, I would try the litter box and/or pads. I have had great luck with puppy pads for years with multiple dogs. It seems to sort of define that it is okay to use the house providing that you are only on this pad.
Ok I didn't think of pads but I will try that to.. What's the best way to train with a pad

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think the dogs across the road could affect her even with them being far?
It's hard to say since I don't know the distance between your dwelling and their house, if they're outside often or barking a lot, etc. Is your dog well socialized with other dogs? This could make a difference especially if she has any anxiety. But since you can't change the dogs across the road you can change your route when you take your dog out. Keep those treats handy and have her look up at you with a treat in your hand to distract her when you are near their house. That way she will concentrate on the treat and you. I hope the situation improves for you as well as your dog. :bluepaw:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
How are your babies doing...???Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about both your babies..Members on this site are here to help...Glad to have You..Flossy..and Neptune aboard...