Need Help Please

Ricoalyssa7893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a friend that found a stray kitten on the side of the highway and he didn't want want to care for it so I took her in. She looks like she is maybe 2.5 to 3 weeks old. I have never taken care of a kitten this young so I have so many questions if someone could please give me some answers. I tried the bottle feeding and she didn' take to that so I am using the oral medicine syringe with the nipple but she just wants to chew on it? I pour it into her mouth little by little and she swallows but I have only got her to latch for 1.5ml and she loses interest. How much should she be eating in one sitting? After I feed her she wants nothing to deal with the nipple but is constantly searching for something to suckle on and bite. She is always biting and suckling on my skin. Is that normal? I have had her since about 5pm yesterday and have stimulated her into seeing but she still hasn't had a bowl movement. And her anus kinda protrudes a little when I do that but no poop comes out. She also has fleas. What can I do to get rid of them since she Is so little? She does not live in my purse or anything. I just put her in there with her heating pad so she wasn't left alone while I went to Wal-Mart to get her a crate, etc. Lol TIA for any answers.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re constipation, you can add a couple of drops of olive or canola oil with her food. In every meal. Literally just 2 max 3 drops. Coldpressed is best, but almost any will do.

Fleas. Safest is to just pick them up / comb them out. If necessary, you CAN bathe, for example with Dawn liquid soap. Be sure you cleanse thoroughly afterwards. Be sure she dont get chilled off! No draugh, dry off, keep warm afterwards. The wet are always freezing afterwards, no?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ricoalyssa7893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding her on her tummy and she is doing much better with the feedings. I finally got her to latch on and stay latched. Thank goodness. She still has not had a bowel movement but I will try the oil and some other techniques. She likes to roll over on her back and put her feet in her mouth a lot. Do you think she is just playing? Sorry for so many questions I am just so nervous that something is going to go wrong and I won' catch it or something.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be play, although I suspect its self suckling. :)

Of course you do have a lot of questions and do worry. If not you, so whom?
YOU are the caretaker.

And we are here to try and help you with support and trying to answer any questions. :)
Its OUR part in this.

Ricoalyssa7893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i took the little one to the vet earlier and she finally had a bowel movement. But i had asked the vet about how she rolls onto her back a lot and she is really wobbly when she trust to walk he said she has Cerebellar Hypolasia? Which everything I have read online says that kitten don' start walking really well for a couple more weeks. We also found out she is 2 weeks not three. Have any of you dealt with this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is only 2 weeks old she will barely be able to walk, and will roll around a lot. Kittens do not walk well this young. I think the kitten is too young to be diagnosed with CH. Give the kitten time!

She probably also needs more to eat. How much does she weigh?

Watch this video about feeding:

Syringe Feeding

Ricoalyssa7893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They said she weighs 302 grams yesterday. I have to buy scale today to see what she is today. That is what I figured. I didn' think she was old enough to be really good at walking yet. Thank you all so much for all your help!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thank you for taking on the challenge of new kitten "mama". She is adorable, and looked quite content in your purse. :catlove:

Good luck with the little darling. Does she have a name yet? :hearthrob:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She weighs 10.6 ounces, which is not bad if she’s between 2 and 3 weeks. See that she gains 6-10 grams per day minimum. More is always good too! :)

Ricoalyssa7893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We decided to name her Smokey. And I will make sure she is gaining everyday. She had an accident last night in her crate and now has poop stuck all over her. Is okay to give her a bath to get it off? I've been trying everything else and it isnt coming off at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can bathe her in the sink. Don’t put her head under or get anything in her eyes, nose, or mouth. And dry her well with a warm towel.