Need help on ideas to get cat to use house i got her

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in a pickle i bought a home for my kitty its really nice it has a front flap door so she can get in it's made of cedar to keep her warm and has a 1 way escape door encase unwelcome guest should show up but i can't seem to get her to use. i don't force her in but i need some ideas cause winter is coming and I'm not able to bring her in as much as i want to i have a plan to put some cat nip in the box but  i fear she is just not going to take 2 it. now she is a stray cat and is not feral she is a sweet heart. but i know the coat on cat's are not made to keep them warm under extreme cold. any ideas would be help i'm slowly learning how to understand my precious freind but cat's are so confuseing ;p

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try taking the flap door off so that she gets used to it first.  Once she gets used to going in and out you can put the flap back on.  Also try working with her during the day by placing yummy treats inside or putting her food inside.  Just don't leave food in there at night or other uninvited guests will find their way.  I have used catnip too, but find food rewards work better.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with my indoor cat too. Bought a $200 condo and he doesn't even want to climb the first platform. 
 He seems to like the floor, never shown much interest in heights.

You said she's stray, is she very friendly towards you? You can bribe her by placing treats and/or feeding her in the house. Put her bowl inside the house, and then leave a trail of food from the bowl through the door towards the outside. Leave the flap open too, perhaps she hasn't recognized that she can walk through it. Definitely try the catnip too. I hope you find a way that works! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes she is a sweetheart very very friendly and  r family enjoys her company

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have the same problem with my indoor cat too. Bought a $200 condo and he doesn't even want to climb the first platform. 
 He seems to like the floor, never shown much interest in heights.
You could try catnip, treats and wand toys to entice him to climb it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so i was still having trouble getting the cat to go into its home and its so cold outside so i bought this and put it in the box my brother moved the house into the corner of the porch and got her to go in she has been laying in there for hours now.i think this may have done the job. but i won't beable to tell for a few days.