Need help on how to give liquid meds

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I need suggestions on how to get liquid meds into my demon spawn child spooky I've been wearing her meds more then her swallowing them I've tried putting them in wet food she covered it shes in a cage rn she ended up with a gash while I was at work I thought she ripped her stitches shes on the antibiotic and gabapentin I have burrito her shes found away to hide her head I really need help I'm sick of wearing her meds

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Spooky allow you to sweep back her whiskers, and hold her head, lightly, with your thumb on one side of her jaw, and fingers on the other side of jaw?

There's some good videos that you can watch and get tips on:
TCS has one...it's the 2nd video, way at the bottom of the page,...and if you can do it fast, it will often work.
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – Cat Articles

If you search youtube, you'll also find other helpful videos:

I especially like these ones, where Fundamentally Feline does a thorough job at explaining, and also giving little tricks...like using soft wet cat foods in a syringe, and chasing the awful tasting liquid medicine down. I used to use water in a syringe, to chase the meds, but using food sounds better.

In her other video, she provides even more tips and tricks...like first putting food in a syringe, then adding the liquid meds, and then again adding food. It seems like a good combination to use, if your cat likes the food, and cannot taste the meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks like a bulldog when she is done taking her meds shes drooling alot she also sounds like she's throwing up I checked her blanket nothing

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I put her anibotics and her pain med her wet food her antibiotic is vanilla I don't think she like it

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
When shes drooling like that after I give her med do you think she's asperating the meds just wondering

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No I think the meds probably taste awful, and that is why she is drooling.
(My one cat was foaming at the mouth, after a drontal pill, and the dumb Vet never told me that this would happen. I got scared.)

Are you able to feed her plain wet cat food from a syringe?

How long does she have to take her meds?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember to not tilt her head up, when you give her the liquid meds, to prevent aspirating or inhaling the liquid.
Try to give her the meds behind the first canine, or side of mouth, and slowly give her the liquid.
Don't shoot it in too fast, and not straight into back of throat. You don't want her tasting it with the front of the tongue, either.
If she drools too much, having water around might help. Or syringing a little in, might also help.

Next time, maybe ask the Vet for a different flavour, or maybe Spooky would be better with pills, that you can hide in pill pockets, or treats. It all depends on the size of the pills. Some people put pills inside of chicken flavoured capsules, and coat with some butter, to make it easier to swallow.

Hope she does not have to take them for too long, and that her gash heals quick.

ETA: I'd call the Vet, and tell them what is going on.
They will tell you what you can do about the drool.
And if there is a better way for Spooky to take the meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When Feeby foamed and drooled from the mouth because of her liquid antibiotics (I tried to give it to her via oral syringe), I started measuring the dose out into a dish and then would add just enough canned tuna or chicken water to it to mask the taste and ensure I could tell she took the whole dose. She lapped it up with no problem - and, then I would give her a piece of the tuna or chicken for a treat afterward.

If something similar doesn't work for you, I would definitely ask the vet about getting the meds compounded with a flavoring additive.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had good luck with BFF pouches of food and meds. Having said that, some liquid meds taste awful and have flavors like strawberry that cats do not like (pred for one, I believe). If you can get pills, I would try for a pill with a pill popper; otherwise, look into compounding with flavoringas FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I think i might have to climb into her cage pin her down to give it to her but I just want her to feel better she hides in the back of the cage I don't want her to be afraid of me

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Im stress eating I'm crying I feel so bad like she wants out when I clean her cage I let her loose in the bathroom but I did the burrito thing she fights me on that I'll try syringe water right after each med I just don't want it to dilute it

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
she threw up her food still drooling and fighting me I gave her water I pulled her food I wish I could take her out and hold her for a while but I can't

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of injury does she have?
Why did the Vets tell you that you cannot take her out and hold her?

Giving her a little water, or soft wet food by syringe will not dilute the meds....it will only chase the taste of the meds away.
Replace the bad taste with something good.

Try the tuna or chicken water trick mentioned in post #10...to mask the taste of the meds.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
i hid her pain med in her wet food and added dry food she ate some of it and proceed to drag her blanket aka my blanket into her cat box she hates me and now I smell wet food 😭😂