Need Help! Mama cat in interrupted labor or something wrong??

MeanJaneenBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To start off, I haven't had this cat for the entirety of her pregnancy or even for most of it. I found her at an apartment complex with a myriad of other strays on 5/10. Talked to a bunch of people there to make sure she didn't belong to anyone (if she had, I'd be more concerned because of all her health issues). She didn't belong to anyone and was very sweet and seemed eager to be loved on, so I took her home.
She's about 10 months old, by the looks of it, very pregnant, and I believe has mange. She was also severely malnourished and weak when I found her. I took her home and gave her a flea bath and planned to take her to the vet in the morning to get her medical care and find out how far along she was. I got her set up in the guest bedroom (to quarantine her from my other cats) and decided to sleep in there with her to keep an eye on her. I stayed up for hours that night researching kitten pregnancies and all the possible complications, thinking I would have a few days to get her a nesting box and prepare for the kittens.
Well, I woke up in the morning and she had already successfully delivered one kitten. So I started a log of delivery times and gently palpated her stomach after each birth to try to guesstimate the number of kittens left in there. She delivered four throughout the day, with several hours between each delivery, two of which were born with complications. One was trapped in the amniotic sac when born and another was born breech and not breathing. I was able to get both of them breathing and into a semi-stable condition minutes after birth. The breech baby passed away about a day later after mama rejected him, he stopped eating right (even with syringe feeding), and his temperature dropped (even with a heating blanket and keeping him against my own body for warmth). The other three kittens are still doing well and eating perfectly.
Mama is eating and drinking, using the bathroom well, and her discharge still appears normal for postpartum. She's also still taking good care of the kittens. However, when I palpate her stomach, it still feels like there's a kitten in there. It's been over 48 hours since she delivered the fourth kitten, so it may just be very interrupted labor or something, but I'm still a little worried. I've called three separate vets and explained the whole situation, but none seemed alarmed and told me not to worry unless she starts showing symptoms of sepsis, infection, or pain.
I just wanted to ask about it here to see if anyone knows if this is normal for a mama as young as she is or if anyone has ever seen interrupted labor occur for this long before. Any help or advice is very appreciated.
Posting pictures of mama and the babies for cuteness' sake. <3

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To start off, I haven't had this cat for the entirety of her pregnancy or even for most of it. I found her at an apartment complex with a myriad of other strays on 5/10. Talked to a bunch of people there to make sure she didn't belong to anyone (if she had, I'd be more concerned because of all her health issues). She didn't belong to anyone and was very sweet and seemed eager to be loved on, so I took her home.
She's about 10 months old, by the looks of it, very pregnant, and I believe has mange. She was also severely malnourished and weak when I found her. I took her home and gave her a flea bath and planned to take her to the vet in the morning to get her medical care and find out how far along she was. I got her set up in the guest bedroom (to quarantine her from my other cats) and decided to sleep in there with her to keep an eye on her. I stayed up for hours that night researching kitten pregnancies and all the possible complications, thinking I would have a few days to get her a nesting box and prepare for the kittens.
Well, I woke up in the morning and she had already successfully delivered one kitten. So I started a log of delivery times and gently palpated her stomach after each birth to try to guesstimate the number of kittens left in there. She delivered four throughout the day, with several hours between each delivery, two of which were born with complications. One was trapped in the amniotic sac when born and another was born breech and not breathing. I was able to get both of them breathing and into a semi-stable condition minutes after birth. The breech baby passed away about a day later after mama rejected him, he stopped eating right (even with syringe feeding), and his temperature dropped (even with a heating blanket and keeping him against my own body for warmth). The other three kittens are still doing well and eating perfectly.
Mama is eating and drinking, using the bathroom well, and her discharge still appears normal for postpartum. She's also still taking good care of the kittens. However, when I palpate her stomach, it still feels like there's a kitten in there. It's been over 48 hours since she delivered the fourth kitten, so it may just be very interrupted labor or something, but I'm still a little worried. I've called three separate vets and explained the whole situation, but none seemed alarmed and told me not to worry unless she starts showing symptoms of sepsis, infection, or pain.
I just wanted to ask about it here to see if anyone knows if this is normal for a mama as young as she is or if anyone has ever seen interrupted labor occur for this long before. Any help or advice is very appreciated.
Posting pictures of mama and the babies for cuteness' sake. <3
You seem to do nicely as caretaker! Alike a pro! :) Sure you are a sheer amateur and new at this?? :)

Pity about the kitten whom died, but this does happens... You did your outmost, and thus, hishers soul will rest in peace.

Re momma, we advisors here do agree with these vets... Nothing is 100% sure nor ironclad, but that is the experience and heavy money bet.
DO observe as you do, but unless you notice alarming symptoms, take it easy and wait.

There may be two common explanations:

She is done. its just the usual swellings of the organs / uterus, and perhaps some afterpains. That is quite common; but many of our forumites become worried there is a kitten left.

There MAY be another kitten, whom will be delivered later in its time.
Why, its even possible although rare, a cat may have two entirely different litters, typically born 3 weeks apart.... With any luck, both may be delivered healthy.
So for example, my ex neigbour had a cat born in such a second litter...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ . IF there is a kitten left, it should come when it and mom’s body are ready. If not, it may just be the lumpiness of the uterus post-delivery until it shrinks back to normal.

Did you count placentas? If all were delivered that is good. As the vets said, if there is no fever, no unusual or foul smelling discharge, and no lethargy beyond the usual tired from labor, delivery, and nursing, she should be okay.

Mom should not have any vaccines until she is in better health and the kittens weaned, but IF she has mange it should be treated. It could be she just needs a proper diet.

Do feed mom as much as she wants, and begin giving her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she needs through her nursing days.

Thank you for the rescue and do keep us posted! She is a very pretty mama cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeanJaneenBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama and kittens have all been doing super well! Mama has been eating well, drinking plenty, using the bathroom normally, and caring for the kittens. Her discharge has also been normal and she's had no fever or anything to indicate something may be wrong.
However, about 3 hours ago (2pm EST, 5/16), she became more affectionate than usual, stopped eating and drinking, and I haven't seen her use the bathroom since this morning. She's still caring for the kittens and her discharge is still normal, but she also expelled two small fleshy looking clumps about thirty minutes apart. They're not red or gray, just a pale pink. Could she be going back into labor or is something potentially wrong? She still doesn't have a fever and doesn't seem to be distressed or anything. I've attached an image of one of the expulsions. It's only about an inch long.
20220516_132001.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is a kitten fetus that stopped developing very early on. Her hormones geared up to expel this “miscarriage.” The other clump may be either another undeveloped kitten or a placenta. Let’s hope she is all cleaned out now and all will be well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeanJaneenBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any updates?
To update everyone!
Mama and three out of four of the kittens are doing well. Unfortunately, the runt who was born breech did pass away a couple of days ago. His body temperature dropped and I kept him on my chest and covered with a heating blanket. I tried to force feed him, but he wouldn't take even a whole ml at a time. He passed away in his sleep, right on my chest. I like to believe that he knew he was safe and loved for his short few days of life.
Luckily, the remaining kittens are healthy and seem to be developing normally! I think (and hope) Mama is all cleaned out and we'll have no more births in this house for a long time. She's caring for the kittens beautifully and is a wonderful mother, despite being so young. The babies have all lost their umbilical cords and are so huge! I can't believe how big they've gotten in just over a week.
Thank you so much to everyone who offered support and advice. ❤