Need Help Making Homemade Raw Food For Urinary Problems

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh okay, so this is quite different with what I was thinking of doing (removing 20% of the bones), good thing I asked!
Thank you so much for this, take your time with the consulting :)
Question. Have you been removing any bone at all with her recipe?? Because with her recipe she recommends to remove bone from 30% of the thighs which comes out to approximately10% of bone. Btw which country do you live in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ardeshir The Great

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question. Have you been removing any bone at all with her recipe?? Because with her recipe she recommends to remove bone from 30% of the thighs which comes out to approximately10% of bone. Btw which country do you live in?
To be completely honest, I cannot remember how much bone I removed, or any at all! Really sorry. I have a bad memory, especially from 2 years ago, and I didn't know much English at that time either so let's say that there is a high chance that I got the bone percentage completely wrong.
We live in Iran.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be completely honest, I cannot remember how much bone I removed, or any at all! Really sorry. I have a bad memory, especially from 2 years ago, and I didn't know much English at that time either so let's say that there is a high chance that I got the bone percentage completely wrong.
We live in Iran.
No need to be sorry! I'm just hoping I can help you is all. If you didn't know english that well at the time it must have been difficult to read the catinfo.org website. Her website even took me a while to decipher because the info is all over the place. I had multiple conversations with another much more experienced user before I even started making cat food (very recent).

Ardeshir The Great

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're very welcome. I'm sorry I'm not much help :(
This is a mystery, it's very strange that something as simple as steamed chicken would cause such a problem for her.
For urinary issues, even the most inexpensive canned food is better than the highest quality dry. Do you have access to a canned cat food that she likes and does OK on (as far as you know) that isn't prescription, until you can get things sorted out for her raw diet?
It is very strange, and quite frustrating as well. But honestly, I'm just 'hoping' that it was me that got something wrong, maybe she didn't get enough water when switched to steamed chicken?
Unfortunately (again), I can't find any brand of canned food that I can at least trust for a little bit. Although I checked again now and I do have the Royal Canin Urinary S/O for the next ~25 days, so I'm really hoping to get things figured out until then.

No need to be sorry! I'm just hoping I can help you is all. If you didn't know english that well at the time it must have been difficult to read the catinfo.org website. Her website even took me a while to decipher because the info is all over the place. I had multiple conversations with another much more experienced user before I even started making cat food (very recent).
Yep, now that I think about it, I was 17, didn't know English, I was in shock from what had happened to my cat so suddenly and also was just facing this huge amount of data about cat food. I guess it's possible that it was me who got something wrong.
So if 30% of the bones removed results in 10% bone, then should I just add more liver to lower bone content to 7%, or should I do something else?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very strange, and quite frustrating as well. But honestly, I'm just 'hoping' that it was me that got something wrong, maybe she didn't get enough water when switched to steamed chicken?
Unfortunately (again), I can't find any brand of canned food that I can at least trust for a little bit. Although I checked again now and I do have the Royal Canin Urinary S/O for the next ~25 days, so I'm really hoping to get things figured out until then.

Yep, now that I think about it, I was 17, didn't know English, I was in shock from what had happened to my cat so suddenly and also was just facing this huge amount of data about cat food. I guess it's possible that it was me who got something wrong.
So if 30% of the bones removed results in 10% bone, then should I just add more liver to lower bone content to 7%, or should I do something else?
I would remove 50% of the bone. Too much liver will lead to an unbalanced diet (liver is nutrient dense) and can cause diarrhea because liver is so rich. But if your cat has crystals make sure he eats his urinary food until they are gone.

Ardeshir The Great

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would remove 50% of the bone. Too much liver will lead to an unbalanced diet (liver is nutrient dense) and can cause diarrhea because liver is so rich. But if your cat has crystals make sure he eats his urinary food until they are gone.
Okay, that makes sense. I'll do that.
She's been on her prescription food for a few months, so I think any amount of crystals should have been gone by now.

Thank you again, you've no idea how much I appreciate the help and input :)
I'll come back with the hopefully good news!

Ardeshir The Great

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GREAT NEWS!
Just wanted to come back and give an update on the result!
Sorry that I took this long, I just wanted to make sure if everything would be fine after a couple of weeks of only raw food.

Long story short: I made the food, got the percentages of bone and meat all figured out (around 7%) and I'm so happy to say that Ardeshir eats ALL of her food while not having any signs of urinary issues!

I was a little worried about her being picky about the high amount of fish oil and the extra water when making the food, but not only she loves it, but I even add sooo much more water when serving and mix it, and she still eats all of that every time!

So I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with this, you've no idea how grateful I am :)
Ardeshir actually starts playing and jumping around after finishing her food, so I think it's safe to say that she's happy too!

Francis-My Big Boy 😻

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I was wondering what your exact formula is for your homemade cat food is. I need to start making my own as well bc my boy, Francis, kept getting blockages and the prescription food is soooo expensive. Thanks!