Need help identifying giblets

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Former vegan here. I can cook a piece of fish and make an omelette but meat is still foreign to me. Except what I’m learning in Krista Test Kitchen. 😹

I bought a bag of turkey giblets from the butcher I get thighs for meat and wings for stock. This saves me a 3 hour errand because they get the same turkeys as the raw feeders co-op.

However, I realize that I don’t know a heart from a gizzard.

They came wrapped in paper all together and several of these bundles were in the bag I bought. I don’t know if one of each (liver, gizzard, heart) is included in each bundle or if some of these pieces are still stuck together (didn’t completely thaw these.). I separated them as best as I understood them. Then I put them into sandwich bags corresponding to the numbers and back into the freezer they went. Once you help me with the key, I can weigh and grind Krista’s food tonight. First batch with fresh heart!

Here’s the pictures with my guesses.
E9754E09-75C2-4B2F-ACE3-7F0BCFD2232C.jpeg
1. Heart
2. Heart
3. Gizzard
4. Gizzard
437F41CB-1049-4FE3-88D4-7C3C08E58364.jpeg
5. Gizzard?
6. Gizzard?
7. Liver
8. Liver
6B0F428D-9538-47B4-A7E3-F2805CB8F948.jpeg
9. Thigh meat? :D I Maybe a heart? I don’t even remember and can’t tell from this picture now.
10. Liver
11. Liver
12. Gizzard

How did I do? What did you get? Just tell me I have 1&2 correct so that I can grind those into the thigh meat and make her food tonight.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks right to me, but hard to tell from the pics. Usually the heart has that disgusting tube sticking out of it and liver is slimey, while gizzard is really tough.

God, chicken meat is so disgusting. :barfgreen:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is turkey.

And these would be far grosser if I thawed them. These were all still mostly frozen which made identifying individual pieces even harder. For example, 6&12 I wasn’t sure if those were the same organ or separate ones smooshed together.

This is one time where being a not-very-visual person is a benefit. I won’t be reassembling this turkey in my head at any point in the butchering/food-making process. This all just cat food as far as I’m concerned.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
This is turkey.

And these would be far grosser if I thawed them. These were all still mostly frozen which made identifying individual pieces even harder. For example, 6&12 I wasn’t sure if those were the same organ or separate ones smooshed together.

This is one time where being a not-very-visual person is a benefit. I won’t be reassembling this turkey in my head at any point in the butchering/food-making process. This all just cat food as far as I’m concerned.
Ah, turkey- even grosser and stinkier!

My cats gotta know how much I love them for putting up with that nasty turkey liver smell.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hearts have ventricles and stuff. You can see them if you cut it. Gizzards look like clams and are tough. Livers are slimy.
This would all be easier to compare your key to my giblets had I thawed these. However, by the time I got towards the end, the liver thaws quickest and made itself more apparent than when I started.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, turkey- even grosser and stinkier!

My cats gotta know how much I love them for putting up with that nasty turkey liver smell.
Turkey stink has nothing on rabbit stink! Krista needs to really understand how much I love her to be willing to get her another rabbit. That’s tomorrow night’s prep.

Having cut up a whole leg for her today, I now understand why I haven’t been able to replicate Rad Cat in the past. The chubs I buy have too much leg meat and not enough thigh meat. I’m teaching my nose how to speak cat food too.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey stink has nothing on rabbit stink! Krista needs to really understand how much I love her to be willing to get her another rabbit. That’s tomorrow night’s prep.

Having cut up a whole leg for her today, I now understand why I haven’t been able to replicate Rad Cat in the past. The chubs I buy have too much leg meat and not enough thigh meat. I’m teaching my nose how to speak cat food too.
Yes you are a hero for butchering a rabbit for her. I don’t think I could bring myself to it.