Need help going through this

webdj777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have severe anxiety disorder. Life is a struggle for me to not feel overwhelmed and like the sky is falling in general ;) My cat Rey helps with that. It's been a rough couple years for me with cats, though -- my senior cat died of cancer, then my replacement was too sick too take care of, and now this with Rey.

Rey has something going wrong inside her, and the vet isn't sure what. For now, she has to be given metronidazole twice a day. She's a super picky eater so pill pockets and hiding the pill form in food doesn't seem to work with her. So liquid form it is.

She is 3 and I've adopted her for 1 year. She has never liked being picked up, but she likes to jump on my lap on her own. But I have to grab her and hold her for this med. At first it was just a little whine. After a couple days it was a wail. And now (day 4) it's ears pinned back and starting to growl. I have to do this for 7 more days.

My fear is that at some point she will develop a fear of me, start avoiding me, and hiding under the couch etc all day.

Anyone have thoughts on what to expect or advice to help me emotionally get through this? (And I don't necessarily want to just hear that everything will be fine if it isn't true.)

Thanks <3

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry you are going through a tough time. Some cats take meds easily, with others it's a battle, as it appears to be with Rey. The only suggestion I can make is to give her a treat before the medicine and directly after then hopefully she will associate the meds with a treat. I'm sure other members have had similar problems and hopefully you will find a trick that works.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can get that particular medication made up into a transdermal gel if that would help get it into her. You just rub it into her ear flap. Still not all that easy, but easier than what you're having to do now. I'm doing that right now with my very picky eater, and I just do it when he's napping really quick.

As far as how YOU can handle it, do you ever do things like deep breathing, meditation,yoga? Those things can help. Since you have SEVERE anxiety, I'm guessing you may have a therapist and/or medication. I would give the therapist a buzz and see if they can suggest something very specific to you since I would assume they know you. Also, there are essential oils specific to anxiety. I am only familiar with Rescue Remedy, but if you were to google it, I'm sure you will find many different oils. Just be careful using any essential oils that you defuse around cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One other thing, if the transdermal mentioned above doesn't work for any reason, would it be possible that a veterinary technician might be able to stop by to help you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you said Rey is a picky eater, but there are tons of cats who will readily eat baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) and the liquid could be mixed in with a spoonful or two of the meats.

I have also used canned tuna or chicken in water to mask a liquid med with Feeby. Just enough of the 'juice' to ensure she is eating the meds. And, with Feeby, I would then give her a bite of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.

Just recently, I have used Tiki Cat Mousse and that has also been a big hit with Feeby.

I mention all of these because Feeby has become very picky about her foods recently, and is rejecting foods she used to really like. And, one of the meds that I used these techniques with tasted so bad to her that she foamed at the mouth, spat, and gagged. When put in one of the above foods, she never even noticed the meds at all.

Worth a try at least.