Need Help - Flying With Cats in 2 Weeks

sandi18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm looking to connect with others who have flown with their cats.

I am moving across the country - from Los Angeles to New Jersey. We are flying with our 2 cats. Both are emotional support animals.

The airline will accept one as an emotional support animal and the other as an in-cabin pet.

I have some concerns that are keeping me up at night I am so nervous. Hoping those that have flown with their cats can help.
Here are my questions/concerns

1) Both carriers are the right size to fit under the seat. My concern is that I watched a video from United that says the animal has to be able to sit up and move around. One of my cats is about 14 1/2 pounds so that when she sits in the crate she is comfortable and fine. I've taken her to the vet in this crate a couple of times.
But it is a little tight - she's able to do it though - if she has to turn around. But most times cats kind of hunch down anyway.
Question - How strict are the airlines - United - about that?
There is NO WAY I will let either cat go in cargo.

2. I've been told that you have to take the cats out of carriers at security but that you can ask for a private room screening so the cats are safe in a room with you.
Has anyone done this? What's your experience been like with TSA

3) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regarding supplies for them, what to take, when to feed etc.

Also, the vet has given me Gabapentin to help in keeping them relaxed.
I feel like I need some for me - LOL

Thanks,
Sandi

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fly all the time with my cats. Don't worry, it will be fine.

What type of carriers do you have for the cats? Soft sided carriers? Both cats are comfortable with their carriers?

For going through security, I recommend putting a harness on your cat so that you have something to grab if the cat gets wiggly while you are walking through the x-ray. I have never requested a private room so I don't know how that works, maybe someone else here has experience with that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise