Need help finding a suitable alternative to CurcuVET-SA50 and lactoferrin :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The CurcuVET-SA50 that Buddy had been taking for inflammation has been discontinued. Can anyone recommend a good curcumin alternative, preferably a human version that would be less expensive than a pet version? Buddy is on so many supplements for his FIV/FHV related issues, we try to economize where we can whenever possible. :)

Also, is there anything new that's being recommended as an alternative to lactoferrin to help modulate a kitty's immune system? It really worked wonders to help calm Buddy's wonky immune system, but it makes him throw up every time we gradually work back up to the recommended maintenance dosage. Then we tried other colostrum type products, but they didn't agree with Buddy's tummy either. So for now, we're back to the prunella vulgaris per our vet's approval, which while helpful, isn't anywhere nearly as effective for reducing inflammation than the lactoferrin was.

Does anyone have any ideas to help tamp down on Buddy's inflammatory response that we could run by our vet? We live a bit off the beaten path, so sometimes it takes a while for newer info to make it to our neck of the woods. :wink:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is still curcumin on amazon, 4.2 ounces for 24.00 dollars. My cats have leukemia and I give them DMG for immune health for cats, and Life Gold by Pet Wellbeing on Amazon. It is one drop for every two pounds. I may check into that lactoferrin too. They have been on it for 15 months now, and act perfectly healthy and happy. Of course, they are strictly indoors now so they don't come in contact with any nasty viruses or bacteria from other cats outside. You might check out a site called HomeoAnimal.com, it has MANY cancer treatments and supplements offered. I like that it is mostly natural products and they back up their reports with reviews.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is still curcumin on amazon, 4.2 ounces for 24.00 dollars. My cats have leukemia and I give them DMG for immune health for cats, and Life Gold by Pet Wellbeing on Amazon. It is one drop for every two pounds. I may check into that lactoferrin too. They have been on it for 15 months now, and act perfectly healthy and happy. Of course, they are strictly indoors now so they don't come in contact with any nasty viruses or bacteria from other cats outside. You might check out a site called HomeoAnimal.com, it has MANY cancer treatments and supplements offered. I like that it is mostly natural products and they back up their reports with reviews.
Thanks oodles! *hugs you tight*

We were thinking about giving the Doctor's Best curcumin a try, mostly because it's a brand Buddy has tolerated well for other supplements. So I guess it's more a case of sticking with what we know. I'd just have to whip out our tiny Norpro measuring spoons to work out how many doses we'd get from a single capsule. But we're certainly open to trying other brands that might be better options for Buddy. :)

DMG sounds awfully familiar, but I can't remember why we discontinued it. I know part of it was because Buddy didn't like the taste of the NOW brand that we tried, but I vaguely seem to recall something about how it can stimulate the immune system, as opposed to strengthening it and helping to calm it down. Or maybe the DMG had been recommended when he had an active infection, and could have used a little extra boost to help him fight it off. Sometimes RL gets the better of me, and my notes aren't as complete as they should be. :paperbag:

I have to confess, when we learned that Buddy had FIV when we took him in (among other health challenges), we thought it would make sense to boost his immune system since he's almost always sick with some kind of infection, often related to his FHV. So it took us a while to wrap our noggins around the concept that his immune system was actually too active, and we needed to calm it down to tamp down on his body's inflammatory response. That's why we were so disappointed that Buddy can't tolerate lactoferrin or other colostrum based products anymore, because they really helped to cut down on the number of infections he got because his immune system wasn't so stressed all the time.

I did find something in my notes last night re: resveratrol, but danged if I can recall why it's there. Hee! Guess I'll have to research that and see if I can figure it out, as well as take a look at the HomeoAnimal website and see if there's anything that might be helpful for Buddy's needs.

Is this the Life Gold formula that you use? And just in case I'm misremembering why we discontinued the DMG, is there a particular brand that has worked best for your kitties?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is I think the only one on Amazon, VetriScience. I give all their meds mixed in Hartz Delectable Lickables, in the stew flavors. They love them so much they cry for their medicine! I get them at Wal-Mart or Target. I also keep a box on hand in case they get sick and totally stop eating, this keeps them going because they always take a few licks. It has pulled them through more then once!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is I think the only one on Amazon, VetriScience. I give all their meds mixed in Hartz Delectable Lickables, in the stew flavors. They love them so much they cry for their medicine! I get them at Wal-Mart or Target. I also keep a box on hand in case they get sick and totally stop eating, this keeps them going because they always take a few licks. It has pulled them through more then once!
Ah, okay. Thanks bunches!

That's great that you've found a way to make your kitties actually look forward to their meds!

Thus far, we haven't had much luck with pill masking products. Bless his heart, Buddy has required so many meds and supplements over the years, I think he's just too suspicious for his own good. ;)