Need Help - Destructive Cat

TheZeeBee33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have 2 cats and one of them is extremely destructive with his chewing. He is a 3 year old Balinese.

He has destroyed couches, clothing, shoes, towels, oven mitts... basically any and all fabrics. We've had to resort to closing all of our doors so he doesnt have access to anything he can chew. He'll sneak out of our view to go chew on something.

Anyone have any idea what we can do? We've tried bitter apple sprays, lemon sprays and they do nothing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to wonder if he may have PICA, a disorder that causes the eating/chewing of inappropriate objects. There are a good many variations of this, from chewing on and eating any and everything to only chewing/eating certain things. I'd suggest a vet check, and ask specifically about PICA. There are medications that can help control it. I'd also ask about a dental exam. There may be something going on in his mouth, and the fabrics soothe it when he chews on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheZeeBee33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to wonder if he may have PICA, a disorder that causes the eating/chewing of inappropriate objects. There are a good many variations of this, from chewing on and eating any and everything to only chewing/eating certain things. I'd suggest a vet check, and ask specifically about PICA. There are medications that can help control it. I'd also ask about a dental exam. There may be something going on in his mouth, and the fabrics soothe it when he chews on them.
Vet mentioned PICA could be a possibility. We tried a medication but it turned him to a zombie basically. He was on it for a week and took him off of it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you consider a lower dosage, or a different medication? As with humans, every cat reacts differently, and sometimes it takes some tweaking and finessing to get things just right.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats chew out of stress and some just for fun or as a stress reliever. First thing you want to do is have your vet take a good look at his teeth to make sure he doesn’t have a tooth or teeth bothering him. If he doesn’t eat the pieces, most cats don’t, get him a large cardboard box and let him chew on that. Usually the cats will chew and peel strips and spit them out. While it does make a big mess it gives him a chewing outlet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you were told it might be PICA, I think I would try to see if the dosage could be changed and give it a second chance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have chew toys like the banana and kicksters, long circular shaped..if you see her chewing make noise to distract her. Does she like electric toys to distract her?

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats chew out of stress and some just for fun or as a stress reliever. First thing you want to do is have your vet take a good look at his teeth to make sure he doesn’t have a tooth or teeth bothering him. If he doesn’t eat the pieces, most cats don’t, get him a large cardboard box and let him chew on that. Usually the cats will chew and peel strips and spit them out. While it does make a big mess it gives him a chewing outlet.
some cat like my baby Taz likes to destroy stuff cuz it fun man lol
like yours she knew exactly what she was doing & would sneak off to get it done, after i got her a cat castle she was cool