Need help cleaning both sides of windows, without removing the storm windows :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a nifty gadget or some mystical and magical hack to clean this hard to reach area? The storm windows are way too heavy for me to remove and put back on by myself, so I just need to clean what I can reach as best I can for now. :wink:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Companies sell magnetic window cleaners just for the purpose.

There are two plastic bars with cleaning cloths attached. There are magnets in each piece that attract their mate.
Just put one part on the inside and one part on the outside and the magnets will hold the two parts together while you slide them around to clean the glass.

You can probably find such a gizmo at Home Depot, etc. :)

I suppose if you had two pieces of wood, some magnets and some hot glue, you could cobble something together but it would take some experimentation to get it right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Companies sell magnetic window cleaners just for the purpose.

[/URL]

There are two plastic bars with cleaning cloths attached. There are magnets in each piece that attract their mate.
Just put one part on the inside and one part on the outside and the magnets will hold the two parts together while you slide them around to clean the glass.

You can probably find such a gizmo at Home Depot, etc. :)

I suppose if you had two pieces of wood, some magnets and some hot glue, you could cobble something together but it would take some experimentation to get it right.
Awesome! Thanks ever so much. I never would have thought of something like that in a million years, but it makes so much sense.

I'll see if I can figure out how to make something similar that's not quite so pricey. Like many people these days, I have plenty of time at home to fiddle around with these DIY projects. :biggrin:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would make it myself.

For me, the journey is often more important than the destination.

I just didn't know whether you were the type who likes to tinker the way I do. :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We’ve used a product called Windex Outdoor Sprayer on unreachable second-story windows, and it actually works pretty well. You attach it to your garden hose, spray it on the window, and then rinse.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would make it myself.

For me, the journey is often more important than the destination.

I just didn't know whether you were the type who likes to tinker the way I do. :)
I do like to tinker a bit. But I have to confess, I'm often inspired more out of necessity rather than the love of doing it just for the fun of it. :lol:

I didn't have much luck with the magnet idea, but I did come up with a really low tech solution. I just straightened out an old wire clothes hanger, folded it over to make it sturdier, and stuck the pointy end into a good old-fashioned cellulose sponge soaked with Windex. It fit quite nicely between the two window panes, and I could kinda clean the back of the regular window and the storm window at the same time. There are some streaks that I couldn't get rid of completely, so maybe I'll try a microfiber pad to see if I can buff them out.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve used a product called Windex Outdoor Sprayer on unreachable second-story windows, and it actually works pretty well. You attach it to your garden hose, spray it on the window, and then rinse.
Huh. I'll give that a try when I get ready to clean the outside part of the storm windows. Thanks!

I've been too squeamish about trying Wet and Forget on the outside of the house. I know it gets all sorts of rave reviews, but if I understand correctly re: how it works, you don't see the results for the Wet and Forget right away. I mean, I'm okay with the idea that it might take a few weeks to really notice a huge improvement. I'm just scared that I'll screw it up somehow, and by the time I start to see any changes, it will be too late to fix it! :crackup:

My main problem had been trying to figure out how to clean the space between the regular windows and the storm windows, without removing the latter. On the bright side, I guess it's a good thing that the storm windows won't come off very easily since it's still hurricane season. :wink:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done the thing with the wire coat hanger. I used a microfiber cloth with glass cleaner then followed that with a dry microfiber cloth.