Need Guidance On Switching Feeding Approach

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For years, we have thought ourselves clever with our approach. Fresh 5.5 oz can in the morning for our 2 cats, leave it out until its gone, replace in the afternoon/evening & dry food at night. Unfortunately with our older 12 or 13 year old cat slowing down, they no longer eat enough, the food sits too long, and the older cat especially is refusing to eat the oxidized food no matter how long it sits or how hungry he gets. I understand that as they get older the sense of smell declines. Anyway, this approach is not really working anymore.

If it has to be half a can and refrigerate the rest, how do people work this? Is there a lid specifically designed to attach to a 5.5 oz can that will prevent the smell from leaking into the fridge? Do you really have to microwave it (hassle!)? And will I have to go from 3 feedings to more?

We have had 3 sets of cats over the years but I've never really fussed with this. But I want to make sure the senior cat eats enough so it seems like its time. Any guidance on this?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
There are silicone lids that fit over 5.5 oz cans. Any pet store should carry them, and it works well. We don’t ever smell any cat food in the fridge.

Olive has no issue eating cold leftovers. They should be good for about 3 days.

Gohan doesn’t seem to like his cold, so we put his food in a plastic bag and warm it up with hot water. It is a mild hassle.

You should be fine with three feedings, we did that for Olive for a long time. We fed at 7 am, 5:30 pm and 11:30 pm. Gohan didn’t finish his food enough so we did add a noon feeding.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try the silicone lid, but my cat never accepted food that has been refrigerated in the can. So what I do, in the morning I give my two cats half of big can, transfer the remaining food to the glass jar, and refrigerate. They get it two hours later, before we're gone for the day, with the addiction of hottish water (160degrees). Or I warm it up on a plate over hot water, depending on the food and time that I have for that. i wouldn't microwave it.
I repeat that process in the evening. For the last meal they get one small can. So yeah, 5 meals a day.
One of them doesn't accept a refrigerated food from plastic container either. It has to be glass for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll try those lids as a first step. So microwaving changes the taste/smell or you just need to be careful not to burn them or what?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So microwaving changes the taste/smell or you just need to be careful not to burn them or what?
Yes to all of that.

My preferred method of warming up leftovers is to remove the portion from the can to a baggie and run it under warm water. Since I weigh Krista's portions every meal, I fill a shallow bowl with hot water from the sink while I'm weighing her portion into the baggie. Then I press the portion flat a few times under the water with a spoon. I turn the baggie out on a plate when the food no longer feels cold in the baggie. Sometimes I'll go all the way to lukewarm and other times just long enough to take the chill out. Depends on how picky Krista is feeling and how lazy I'm feeling. None of this takes more than a couple of minutes though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you try microwaving, be sure and stir the food before serving, because hot spots develop inside food :)