Need guidance on cat introductions

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came home to a very scared Charly. Don't know why or what caused it. He didn't try to door dash. Just sat there looking at me. Didn't eat much and won't play (he looks like he wants to but is too scared).
No idea what could have caused this. When I left 8 hours ago he was all normal. He is walking around tentatively and flinches at every sound and is looking around wildly.
:( Was the door to Yoda's room closed? Any chance someone came into your place? Any workers outside? Any storms bad weather?

Are you on the ground floor or above the ground floor?

Yes, reassure him. Stay calm, give him love (safely). Hang out with him don't force affection. Don't do any face to face interaction with Yoda for now.

Just hang out with him and try to get him to calm down.

How is Yoda acting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yoda is perfectly normal. The door was closed. No chance anyone came in. My partner was here (with me) this morning for an hour or so? But Charly just slept on him the whole time he was here so I don't think it's that.
Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see or hear now. When I came in, Charly was already like this and Yoda was completely silent (pretty sure he was sleeping).
I tried playing with Charly but he seemed terrified of me and his usual fishing pole. I played with Yoda a bit and Charly didn't want in at all (he would meow at door in the past).

He did now do his clicker training "tricks" for his fave treat but is still acting like there's an invisible menace somewhere. He's not looking any specific direction - sometimes at yoda's door, sometimes entrance door. He runs to the kitchen when he gets startled (he has a cardboard box there that he likes). He's just walking shoulders low and looking around so tentatively and flinches with every little sound.

It's bizarre to see him like this. He's a bit of a scaredy-cat sometimes but I've never seen him this way.

The interaction this morning seemed fine and he was normal after my partner left too. I don't know. I'll just leave him be for now.

I'm on the fourth floor.

I just thought of something. My neighbours this morning put up the Christmas tree which is stored in the attic which is next to my entrance. So they went up and down quite a few times I imagine and then decorated downstairs but the stairwell carries noise a lot.
My flat is the only one in fourth floor and its top floor so usually no one comes up here much. Maybe that? Although he is looking in direction of Yoda door now. Maybe Yoda kicked up a ruckus in there while I was out..

He had an extra bit of zylkene now and ate a bit more and now he's come for his evening cuddles on my lap. A bit more agitated than usual (occasional tail wag) but overall calm and lying down on me eyes closed. No longer flinching.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoda is perfectly normal. The door was closed. No chance anyone came in. My partner was here (with me) this morning for an hour or so? But Charly just slept on him the whole time he was here so I don't think it's that.
Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see or hear now. When I came in, Charly was already like this and Yoda was completely silent (pretty sure he was sleeping).
I tried playing with Charly but he seemed terrified of me and his usual fishing pole. I played with Yoda a bit and Charly didn't want in at all (he would meow at door in the past).

He did now do his clicker training "tricks" for his fave treat but is still acting like there's an invisible menace somewhere. He's not looking any specific direction - sometimes at yoda's door, sometimes entrance door. He runs to the kitchen when he gets startled (he has a cardboard box there that he likes). He's just walking shoulders low and looking around so tentatively and flinches with every little sound.

It's bizarre to see him like this. He's a bit of a scaredy-cat sometimes but I've never seen him this way.

The interaction this morning seemed fine and he was normal after my partner left too. I don't know. I'll just leave him be for now.

I'm on the fourth floor.

I just thought of something. My neighbours this morning put up the Christmas tree which is stored in the attic which is next to my entrance. So they went up and down quite a few times I imagine and then decorated downstairs but the stairwell carries noise a lot.
My flat is the only one in fourth floor and its top floor so usually no one comes up here much. Maybe that? Although he is looking in direction of Yoda door now. Maybe Yoda kicked up a ruckus in there while I was out..
"Yoda is perfectly normal." - Ok, good

" The door was closed. No chance anyone came in." - Ok, good

" My partner was here (with me) this morning for an hour or so? But Charly just slept on him the whole time he was here so I don't think it's that." - Agreed, that waas positive

"Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see or hear now. When I came in, Charly was already like this and Yoda was completely silent (pretty sure he was sleeping)." - Ok, yes, it was something before

"I tried playing with Charly but he seemed terrified of me and his usual fishing pole." - Ok, yes, something spooked him :/

" I played with Yoda a bit and Charly didn't want in at all (he would meow at door in the past)." - Ok

"He did now do his clicker training "tricks" for his fave treat" - That is good

" but is still acting like there's an invisible menace somewhere. He's not looking any specific direction - sometimes at yoda's door, sometimes entrance door. He runs to the kitchen when he gets startled (he has a cardboard box there that he likes). He's just walking shoulders low and looking around so tentatively and flinches with every little sound." - Ok

"It's bizarre to see him like this. He's a bit of a scaredy-cat sometimes but I've never seen him this way." - Something spooked him, my guess something outside

"The interaction this morning seemed fine and he was normal after my partner left too. I don't know.
- SOmethig when tehy were alone

"I'll just leave him be for now." - Just hang out with him, give him that safety of your company.

"I'm on the fourth floor." - Ok, a noise or something on your floor. Or above or below. Do you have noisy neighbors?

"I just thought of something. My neighbours this morning put up the Christmas tree which is stored in the attic which is next to my entrance. So they went up and down quite a few times I imagine and then decorated downstairs but the stairwell carries noise a lot.
My flat is the only one in fourth floor and its top floor so usually no one comes up here much. Maybe that? " - That very well could be it. Any change can be unsettling and noises especially. That makes sense.

"Although he is looking in direction of Yoda door now. Maybe Yoda kicked up a ruckus in there while I was out.. " - Well if it was that he would be focused only on the door.

I suspect it was the hallway, attic, etc.

Let's see how he does over the next 48 hours. I suspect he is fine soon. If not, we will work on it.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's back to stalking around scaredly. His tail is a bit puffed up now too. He's terrified of something. As all this is happening Yoda is sleeping. Like he isn't making a single noise. Nothing is really. But Charly is now sitting under my legs looking out the bathroom door like he expects something super scary to pop out from somewhere any second. He is looking in general direction of under the bed/yoda's room. He will just do that and then like recoil.
Maybe Yoda popping out of the room by himself last night spooked him more than I thought. Although he was fine this morning.
He is kinda looking at everything but more than anything the entrance door.
I remember now this morning when I left when I closed the door he was about to go out so it kinda stopped him in his tracks. I'm wondering now if I maybe got him with the door a bit when I was closing it?

From where he is, the entrance is right, Yoda room and bed straight ahead. Ignore friends playing in the background (he's more than used to me watching stuff on tablet A LOT)

Last edited:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charly was still tentative this morning but a bit better. Still some looking around wildly. He seems to fixate on either door (entrance and Yoda room) and like under the bed.
Wondering if anything happened under the bed with them that I didn't notice when Yoda escaped and they came to me in the bathroom?
Charly got into yoda's room again this morning. It's becoming virtually impossible to keep them apart. He dashed in there in a split second when I was leaving yoda's room.
Here are two vids of this morning. There was A LOT of hissing (as soon as I opened the door he hissed at Yoda multiple times from the gate, then dashed in). There was also a ton of unhappy sounding growling. Even as Yoda was distracted, Charly was growling at the dresser, under the wardrobe, behind the wardrobe. Just growling and making these weird noises. Didn't sound happy at all. Don't know that you can really hear it in the videos.
After they were both the same as before. So not great in Charlys case.
I noticed that Yoda destroyed some sheets of cardboard (huge) that I had behind the wardrobe. Like actually completely shredded them. Maybe that made lots of noise and that's why Charly is so scared. It also fits with the general direction he is looking in as that's right behind the bed (the wall where the destruction was).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's back to stalking around scaredly. His tail is a bit puffed up now too. He's terrified of something. As all this is happening Yoda is sleeping. Like he isn't making a single noise. Nothing is really. But Charly is now sitting under my legs looking out the bathroom door like he expects something super scary to pop out from somewhere any second. He is looking in general direction of under the bed/yoda's room. He will just do that and then like recoil.
Maybe Yoda popping out of the room by himself last night spooked him more than I thought. Although he was fine this morning.
He is kinda looking at everything but more than anything the entrance door.
I remember now this morning when I left when I closed the door he was about to go out so it kinda stopped him in his tracks. I'm wondering now if I maybe got him with the door a bit when I was closing it?

From where he is, the entrance is right, Yoda room and bed straight ahead. Ignore friends playing in the background (he's more than used to me watching stuff on tablet A LOT)
"He's back to stalking around scaredly." - Hmmmmm Ok

" His tail is a bit puffed up now too. He's terrified of something." - Yes

" As all this is happening Yoda is sleeping. Like he isn't making a single noise." - Hmmmmmmmm

" Nothing is really. But Charly is now sitting under my legs looking out the bathroom door like he expects something super scary to pop out from somewhere any second. He is looking in general direction of under the bed/yoda's room. He will just do that and then like recoil." - Is the attic on the other side of Yoda's room?

"Maybe Yoda popping out of the room by himself last night spooked him more than I thought." Although he was fine this morning." - I don't think so but maybe. Charly would have been spooked earlier I would think.

"He is kinda looking at everything but more than anything the entrance door." - That suggests the neighbors.

"I remember now this morning when I left when I closed the door he was about to go out so it kinda stopped him in his tracks. I'm wondering now if I maybe got him with the door a bit when I was closing it?" - Maybe but I don't think it would cause this issue this long.

"From where he is, the entrance is right, Yoda room and bed straight ahead. Ignore friends playing in the background (he's more than used to me watching stuff on tablet A LOT) " - This is the video? He is cautious, not bad, looks a lot to the right (entrance door). Something spooked him. :/ But he doesn't look that bad.

"Charly was still tentative this morning but a bit better. Still some looking around wildly. He seems to fixate on either door (entrance and Yoda room) and like under the bed." - Ok. Good he is better. What is on the other side of the wall where the bed is? The attic?

"Wondering if anything happened under the bed with them that I didn't notice when Yoda escaped and they came to me in the bathroom?" - I think it would have been known earlier. Maybe but I suspect that is not the issue.

"Charly got into yoda's room again this morning. It's becoming virtually impossible to keep them apart. He dashed in there in a split second when I was leaving yoda's room." - Ok, anything happen? IF Charly is scared of Yoda he would not being going in there.

"Here are two vids of this morning. There was A LOT of hissing (as soon as I opened the door he hissed at Yoda multiple times from the gate, then dashed in). There was also a ton of unhappy sounding growling. Even as Yoda was distracted, Charly was growling at the dresser, under the wardrobe, behind the wardrobe. Just growling and making these weird noises. Didn't sound happy at all. Don't know that you can really hear it in the videos." - Ok, I will take a look

"After they were both the same as before. So not great in Charlys case." - Ok

"I noticed that Yoda destroyed some sheets of cardboard (huge) that I had behind the wardrobe. Like actually completely shredded them. Maybe that made lots of noise and that's why Charly is so scared. It also fits with the general direction he is looking in as that's right behind the bed (the wall where the destruction was). " - Ok, that could be it. And Yoda might have been reacting to the noises by shredding that. Is the attic near the walls to Yoda's room?

Video 1 - Looks great. I see no issue between them. IF Charly had issues with Yoda Charley would not act that way in the video. Yoda has both paws up playing and Charly doesn't care then Yoda jumps over Charly and nothing negative.

Video 2 - Charly looks like he might want to play then walks away. Positive.

I am not seeing any issues in the videos. They look great. It is not Yoda causing the issues in my opinion.

Things will go back to normal soon. I am not at all worried. I think it was the noise in the hall, attic, etc.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes so behind the wall where the bed is is yoda's room, and behind that is the attic. Next to the bed on the other side there's the hallway so in front of attic too.

He looks fine in the videos but he was growling the whole time and he sounded so unhappy. When Yoda jumped over him he tried to swat at him and was growling again. Also the way he was walking around growling at everything (just basically growling whole time) is so out of character for him...he scared easy sometimes but if he's startled by STH he'll give a jump and be over it. It's more like a constant state of terror he's been in and I don't know why. Maybe the attic and Yoda destruction in room noises combined.

How do we interpret growling? I'm trying to internalize that hissing isn't so bad :lol: but I'm not sure about how to interpret his constant growling in yoda's room today? It was like a idk, he didn't sound happy growl. I can see if can find something that sounds similar on YouTube lol. I don't know how to explain it.

How should I proceed at this stage, just keep doing short sessions as we have? Should I be doing sth differently? Maybe give them both some time alone in the others rooms too?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes so behind the wall where the bed is is yoda's room, and behind that is the attic. Next to the bed on the other side there's the hallway so in front of attic too.

He looks fine in the videos but he was growling the whole time and he sounded so unhappy. When Yoda jumped over him he tried to swat at him and was growling again. Also the way he was walking around growling at everything (just basically growling whole time) is so out of character for him...he scared easy sometimes but if he's startled by STH he'll give a jump and be over it. It's more like a constant state of terror he's been in and I don't know why. Maybe the attic and Yoda destruction in room noises combined.

How do we interpret growling? I'm trying to internalize that hissing isn't so bad :lol: but I'm not sure about how to interpret his constant growling in yoda's room today? It was like a idk, he didn't sound happy growl. I can see if can find something that sounds similar on YouTube lol. I don't know how to explain it.

How should I proceed at this stage, just keep doing short sessions as we have? Should I be doing sth differently? Maybe give them both some time alone in the others rooms too?
"Yes so behind the wall where the bed is is yoda's room, and behind that is the attic. Next to the bed on the other side there's the hallway so in front of attic too." - Ok, that makes sense. I think it almost assuredly is all the neighbors/attic/hallway noises.

"He looks fine in the videos but he was growling the whole time and he sounded so unhappy." - Well, his body language did not look like that nor did he look like that towards Yoda. I think he may be warning whatever is on the other side of the wall to "watch it and not try anything". Growling is not that big a deal unless supported by other negative actions.

" When Yoda jumped over him he tried to swat at him and was growling again." - A very mild swat (which I would expect). Seemed pretty mild, almost a touch of play in it.

" Also the way he was walking around growling at everything (just basically growling whole time) is so out of character for him...he scared easy sometimes but if he's startled by STH he'll give a jump and be over it. It's more like a constant state of terror he's been in and I don't know why. Maybe the attic and Yoda destruction in room noises combined." - Yes. I think it all has to do with the attic etc. I am guessing Yoda destroyed the cardboard because of the noises as well. I just don't see Yoda as the problem at all (other than the destroying of the cardboard). .

"How do we interpret growling?" - It is a warning to something (I suspect something in the attic/hallways/neighbor. An unease. But I am not worried about it regarding their relationship.

" I'm trying to internalize that hissing isn't so bad :lol:" - Good. I had a feral that hissed and growled t me every time we were close. I would feed her chicken from my hands and she would growl, hiss before, after, etc. I was like "whatever". She ate every piece. She was telling me not to try anything (which I didn't). We were fine, she never bit me, never scratched me. I know what the growling, hissing meant and respected it. Wasn't an issue.

" but I'm not sure about how to interpret his constant growling in yoda's room today?" It was like a idk, he didn't sound happy growl. " - He is just uncertain about what is behind there making the noises and if it is a threat. He will not be hurt by anything so therefore he will get over it.

"I can see if can find something that sounds similar on YouTube lol. I don't know how to explain it." - I wouldn't waste the time. It is fine.

"How should I proceed at this stage, just keep doing short sessions as we have?" - I think so. They are fine together. So just make their encounters as positive as possible. The video were great.

" Should I be doing sth differently?" Not now.

" Maybe give them both some time alone in the others rooms too?" - Sure, love and reinforcement never hurts. Play with them if possible (separately). Keep them on a routine, be calm and confident around them, love them, etc.

Charly is going to be fine as long as the noises don't happen again.

Hang in there and don't worry. They are doing great. Charly will get back to normal soon. :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll never believe this. There's a third cat in my flat. Under the bed.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Remember I felt something when I closed the door going out yesterday? It wasn't Charly after all. Calzino, one of our ferals managed to get in. On the fourth floor. And he's been there over 24 hours!!!
I can't believe it.
I was with Yoda and Charly in yoda room. And they were both a bit tense. And I was like hang on I hear sth now too. And I was getting real scared (I watch too much true crime). And while I'm playing with Yoda and giving Charly treats a head pops out under the bed and grabs one of the treats that fell outside the gate of the room.
I nearly had a panic Attack cause I thought I was hallucinating at first.

Long story short, Calzino is now back outside with his colony. I can't believe it.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember I felt something when I closed the door going out yesterday? It wasn't Charly after all. Calzino, one of our ferals managed to get in. On the fourth floor. And he's been there over 24 hours!!!
I can't believe it.
I was with Yoda and Charly in yoda room. And they were both a bit tense. And I was like hang on I hear sth now too. And I was getting real scared (I watch too much true crime). And while I'm playing with Yoda and giving Charly treats a head pops out under the bed and grabs one of the treats that fell outside the gate of the room.
I nearly had a panic Attack cause I thought I was hallucinating at first.

Long story short, Calzino is now back outside with his colony. I can't believe it.
Oh my, they will try to get in sometimes. :/

Ok, it is not funny but seriously the way you wrote that I laughed out loud. I can just imagine. This cat coming to have a treat.

Whew, well, now we know. Cats will tell us something is up

Whew..............

So how long until you bring Calzino in????? ;)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I could! It was really sad having to move him back outside, although he sure wasn't having a good time up here. Pretty sure he was under the bed the whole time. He's also very scared of humans. He actually ran out by himself when I started moving the bed a bit. In any case, as much as I would love to, I've burned through all my "savings" with Yoda (well actually im quite a bit in debt now as I had no savings to speak of). Plus I don't have enough rooms to tame a feral and get these two introduced and all that :(. Although I'd love to.
On the upside, Calzino is sleeping with his brother in the cat house outside now after some extra dinner. Charly is completely back to normal.

I actually took some videos before the whole cat appearing situation. Charly whacked Yoda on the head quite hard, Yoda didn't even react. Just sat there. Nothing happened. We'll see how they are tomorrow with the intruder gone.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could! It was really sad having to move him back outside, although he sure wasn't having a good time up here. Pretty sure he was under the bed the whole time. He's also very scared of humans. He actually ran out by himself when I started moving the bed a bit. In any case, as much as I would love to, I've burned through all my "savings" with Yoda (well actually im quite a bit in debt now as I had no savings to speak of). Plus I don't have enough rooms to tame a feral and get these two introduced and all that :(. Although I'd love to.
On the upside, Calzino is sleeping with his brother in the cat house outside now after some extra dinner. Charly is completely back to normal.

I actually took some videos before the whole cat appearing situation. Charly whacked Yoda on the head quite hard, Yoda didn't even react. Just sat there. Nothing happened. We'll see how they are tomorrow with the intruder gone.
Oh I know, I was just joking. I know how hard it is to want to save them all but not being able to. :(

Great Calzino is back outside enjoying himself. And that Charly is back to normal. It makes sense now what was going on.

Yeah, I wouldn;t worry about Charly whacking Yoda. That was probably redirected aggression caused by Calzino. Great Yoda was good about it.

I suspect they should be fine, back to normal very soon.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night, there was quite some hissing and growling and swatting from Charly.
Tonight as well (he's back to normal otherwise when he's by himself). He hissed and growled quite a bit, then I decided to try and have them eat. After the video of tonight, Charly went behind the table again. As Yoda walked past, he whacked him real hard on the head from behind the table, while growling or hissing, I can't remember. Yoda again didn't react but I broke it up then, getting them back into respective rooms alone. Charly dashed in again and growled some more and Yoda went out, to which Charly followed him. Didn't look too happy to me. I don't know. Feels like Charly likes him less and less every day :( he seems to be getting a bit hostile to him now maybe. Maybe I should try and not have interactions for a few days? How would you proceed?

Yoda is less and less distracted by feather toy and Charly gets agitated real fast now. I feel like it's getting a bit out of hand (for me to know how to handle)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, there was quite some hissing and growling and swatting from Charly.
Tonight as well (he's back to normal otherwise when he's by himself). He hissed and growled quite a bit, then I decided to try and have them eat. After the video of tonight, Charly went behind the table again. As Yoda walked past, he whacked him real hard on the head from behind the table, while growling or hissing, I can't remember. Yoda again didn't react but I broke it up then, getting them back into respective rooms alone. Charly dashed in again and growled some more and Yoda went out, to which Charly followed him. Didn't look too happy to me. I don't know. Feels like Charly likes him less and less every day :( he seems to be getting a bit hostile to him now maybe. Maybe I should try and not have interactions for a few days? How would you proceed?

Yoda is less and less distracted by feather toy and Charly gets agitated real fast now. I feel like it's getting a bit out of hand (for me to know how to handle)

"Last night, there was quite some hissing and growling and swatting from Charly." - Ok, not too surprising.

"Tonight as well " - Ok

"(he's back to normal otherwise when he's by himself). " - VERY good

"He hissed and growled quite a bit, then I decided to try and have them eat. " - Ok. Did they eat ok?

"After the video of tonight, Charly went behind the table again. As Yoda walked past, he whacked him real hard on the head from behind the table, while growling or hissing, I can't remember. Yoda again didn't react but I broke it up then, getting them back into respective rooms alone." - Ok.

" Charly dashed in again and growled some more and Yoda went out, to which Charly followed him." - Ok. Maybe Yoda has Calzino's scent on him?

"Didn't look too happy to me. I don't know." - Ok

" Feels like Charly likes him less and less every day :( he seems to be getting a bit hostile to him now maybe. " - Hmmmm, I didn;t see it in the previus videos but I will look at the new videos shortly.

"Maybe I should try and not have interactions for a few days? How would you proceed?" - I will answer after I view the videos.

"Yoda is less and less distracted by feather toy and Charly gets agitated real fast now. I feel like it's getting a bit out of hand (for me to know how to handle) " - Ok, Are they fighting at all? Acting any differently after these encoutners?

Video 1 Tonight - Overall, really good. Was Yoda not hungry? Seemed like it. Body language was fine. They were focused on food not each other. Yoda went towards Charly and Charly was fine focused on the food. Then Charly went to Yoda's bowl and Yoda came and the hiss but nothing negative, Yoda respected it. Overall very positive. I am not seeing any real issues between them in that video.

Video 2 Yesterday Evening - Fantastic. Yoda was focused on something outside of the room. Charly looks great. Neither focused on the other. Accepting each other. Yoda went on the back by Charly, Charly swatted, hissed and Yoda respected. Then Charly sat up there and watched Yoda play. Didn't attack him. Yoda shows no sign of aggression towards Charly. Absolutely a positive video.

I am not seeing any real issues at all. Charly let's him know if he gets too close but nothing out of the ordinary, nothing worrying.

I would keep doing what you are doing. Maybe do a touch less distraction, stay calm, confident around them. Just kinda hang out with them. Talk lovingly.

So to answer the questions -

"Maybe I should try and not have interactions for a few days? " - No, keep doing what you are doing and try to make it as positive as possible. If it is like the videos it is positive.

"How would you proceed?" - As I said above - Maybe do a touch less distraction, stay calm, confident around them. Just kinda hang out with them. Talk lovingly. Keep feeding them together. Enjoy them.

They are doing great. If the videos are how it is it is going great. There is A LOT of acceptance and trust already. :) GREAT JOB!!!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should do some more research. Every time he swats hisses and growls it looks like the opposite of trust and acceptance to me.

If I don't try to distract him, Yoda will just go walking or chasing after him all the time. He really, really wants to interact with him ALL the time.
He does sort of accept Charlys hisses and swats even without reacting at all, but it seems Charly gets more agitated the longer it goes on.

When it's just me and Yoda, I can't watch YouTube or be on the phone. He will walk all over me, meow, rub himself on me. He wants SO much attention round the clock when I'm in there. When Charly is in too, it's more Charly that he wants to interact with.

When shall I distract then? I don't want it to get to a fight :ohwell: like I don't know what will happen if I don't distract them or break it up after that last hard swat at the end (after the eating vid). But I'm scared Yoda will stress Charly out too much.

Should I keep them in the room for now? If I leave the door open, Yoda wants to go out and Charly wil follow. Or will they feel caged in if the door is closed? Ie Charly can't leave. Although he never wants to. He seems agitated but doesn't leave. I don't get it really, when he's all growly and hissy sitting under my legs, but it's like the door is open, if you hate it you could walk out?

He's been a bit more agitated in general. I played with him alone again for the first time after the Calzino intermission earlier (after the video). There were a few times where he was about to attack me (and once where he latched on to my sweater which he obviously doesn't normally do). He seems to still be quite fired up. I hope getting back into the routine with play will help. Even skipping two days makes him like this a bit, without Yoda in the mix.

I doubt Yoda has calzinos scent on him, as calzino never came into yoda's room and Yoda didn't go out while he was up here.

I don't know about fighting, after the swatting Yoda just kinda isn't fazed at all. So I guess no fighting?

Im not sure how to interpret the last swat today, after the video. Charly behind the table, and as Yoda walked by he smacked him hard from behind the table. Could be hunting instincts but he made some noise with it. Nothing happened tho. Yoda just kept on walking basically. I'm worried that as Charly becomes more confident around him, he'll get more aggressive like that?

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should do some more research. Every time he swats hisses and growls it looks like the opposite of trust and acceptance to me.

If I don't try to distract him, Yoda will just go walking or chasing after him all the time. He really, really wants to interact with him ALL the time.
He does sort of accept Charlys hisses and swats even without reacting at all, but it seems Charly gets more agitated the longer it goes on.

When it's just me and Yoda, I can't watch YouTube or be on the phone. He will walk all over me, meow, rub himself on me. He wants SO much attention round the clock when I'm in there. When Charly is in too, it's more Charly that he wants to interact with.

When shall I distract then? I don't want it to get to a fight :ohwell: like I don't know what will happen if I don't distract them or break it up after that last hard swat at the end (after the eating vid). But I'm scared Yoda will stress Charly out too much.

Should I keep them in the room for now? If I leave the door open, Yoda wants to go out and Charly wil follow. Or will they feel caged in if the door is closed? Ie Charly can't leave. Although he never wants to. He seems agitated but doesn't leave. I don't get it really, when he's all growly and hissy sitting under my legs, but it's like the door is open, if you hate it you could walk out?

He's been a bit more agitated in general. I played with him alone again for the first time after the Calzino intermission earlier (after the video). There were a few times where he was about to attack me (and once where he latched on to my sweater which he obviously doesn't normally do). He seems to still be quite fired up. I hope getting back into the routine with play will help. Even skipping two days makes him like this a bit, without Yoda in the mix.

I doubt Yoda has calzinos scent on him, as calzino never came into yoda's room and Yoda didn't go out while he was up here.

I don't know about fighting, after the swatting Yoda just kinda isn't fazed at all. So I guess no fighting?

Im not sure how to interpret the last swat today, after the video. Charly behind the table, and as Yoda walked by he smacked him hard from behind the table. Could be hunting instincts but he made some noise with it. Nothing happened tho. Yoda just kept on walking basically. I'm worried that as Charly becomes more confident around him, he'll get more aggressive like that?
"Maybe I should do some more research. Every time he swats hisses and growls it looks like the opposite of trust and acceptance to me." - No. The swat and growling is a warning not to try anything. It is defensive not offensive. The trust and acceptance is looking away from Yoda, turning his back, walking by, etc.

"If I don't try to distract him, Yoda will just go walking or chasing after him all the time. He really, really wants to interact with him ALL the time." - Really? In the videos I don't see that BUT I trust you. So if he does look like he wants to bother Charly then distract.

"He does sort of accept Charlys hisses and swats even without reacting at all," - Yes, so Yoda knws it is defensive and not an offensive threat so that is why he isn't bothered by them.

" but it seems Charly gets more agitated the longer it goes on." - Ok, yes, we want to keep it as calm as possible (and positive).

"When it's just me and Yoda, I can't watch YouTube or be on the phone. He will walk all over me, meow, rub himself on me. He wants SO much attention round the clock when I'm in there. " - Awwwwww, terrific.

"When Charly is in too, it's more Charly that he wants to interact with." - Ok, yes, cats tend to be more fun. :/

"When shall I distract then? I don't want it to get to a fight :ohwell: like I don't know what will happen if I don't distract them or break it up after that last hard swat at the end (after the eating vid). " - Ok, what you are doing is working so just keep doing it. Maybe in a few days give them more leeway, use words to distract, etc. If Yoda respects the hiss and swat and walks away then no need t distract (later) but if it looks like it is going to escalate then distract best you can. It is more art than science but use your instincts, they are very good.

"But I'm scared Yoda will stress Charly out too much." - Ok, we do not want that. how Charly acts after will tell you if he is too stressed (if he is acting different than normal).

"Should I keep them in the room for now? If I leave the door open, Yoda wants to go out and Charly wil follow. " - Ok, for now yes. Maybe in a week we can give them more room to roam.

"Or will they feel caged in if the door is closed? Ie Charly can't leave. Although he never wants to. " - Neither seems like they are caged in at least from the videos I see.

"He seems agitated but doesn't leave." - If he is not leaving he is not that agitated.

Other then the swat and hiss in the video do you think Charly was agitated?

" I don't get it really, when he's all growly and hissy sitting under my legs, but it's like the door is open, if you hate it you could walk out? - Exactly. :) He is just trying to teach Yoda the rules of the house.

"He's been a bit more agitated in general." - Ok

" I played with him alone again for the first time after the Calzino intermission earlier (after the video). There were a few times where he was about to attack me (and once where he latched on to my sweater which he obviously doesn't normally do). He seems to still be quite fired up." - Hmmmm, that is not good.

" I hope getting back into the routine with play will help. Even skipping two days makes him like this a bit, without Yoda in the mix." - Ahhhhhh, ok, so it does happen before. Yes, keep him on a routine and play like usual.

"I doubt Yoda has calzinos scent on him, as calzino never came into yoda's room and Yoda didn't go out while he was up here." - Ok

"I don't know about fighting, after the swatting Yoda just kinda isn't fazed at all. So I guess no fighting?" - Yes, Yoda does not seem to want to fight which is great. He is actually the ideal cat to do an intro with.

"Im not sure how to interpret the last swat today, after the video. Charly behind the table, and as Yoda walked by he smacked him hard from behind the table. Could be hunting instincts but he made some noise with it." - Could be hunting, play. Could be a warning. Hard to know without seeing it. What happens after is key.

" Nothing happened tho. Yoda just kept on walking basically. " - Ok, and that is what is most important. Yoda is telling us it was no big deal. GREAT.

"I'm worried that as Charly becomes more confident around him, he'll get more aggressive like that? " - Possible. But Charly looks pretty confident and usually the more confident a cat is the more they accept and are accepted. At this point I am not worried Charly is going to be offensively aggressive towards Yoda. But w will se and deal with it.

I think they are doing great and are going to be fine. If there were issue neither cat would turn their back on the other, look away, their body language would be really negative, they would avoid, hide, not eat, etc. I am not seeing anything that is really concerning at this point and I just don't get the sense something big is going to pop up.

Let's take it day by day and go with it. So far things are going great.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Feeling like this morning went much better. Before the videos, they were together a bit already with Charly mostly sitting on the dresser watching Yoda.
I was doing what I usually do with Yoda -playing with his feather. He is obsessed with that thing and will get reallyyyy vocal when I try to put it away lol. Charly was accepting treats and just walking around (first vid) eating the ones I'd thrown for Yoda who couldn't care less about these treats.

Trying to focus more on the positives you have pointed out helps. I'm noticing Charly turning his back, eating. He wasn't hissing much today (just at the start, after he came in, he hid under the blanket that was hanging off the couch and hissed at Yoda once when he came close. Then I started playing with Yoda and there weren't any hisses after.

Towards the end of the first video and in the second video there are some swats from Charly but no hissing nor growling. Yoda as always isn't fazed by his swatting.

Thinking I shouldn't have "told Charly off" for swatting in the second video. Knee jerk reaction. Must relax even more :) I do speak a mix of Italian and English and sometimes German to them lol, but I guess it doesn't matter what I say, more so how.

After the video they stayed in there another bit and then I lead charly out with his target clicker. Yoda stayed on couch with his feather friend... :lol:
(I did go back in to put it away. Not leaving string toys unsupervised).

Charly was normal after. He transitioned neatly into following the target stick up on the bed and I closed the door, then he got his reward and then we did a couple tricks with the clicker on his pillow and then he went off to go lie on his favourite chair and relax.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Feeling like this morning went much better. Before the videos, they were together a bit already with Charly mostly sitting on the dresser watching Yoda.
I was doing what I usually do with Yoda -playing with his feather. He is obsessed with that thing and will get reallyyyy vocal when I try to put it away lol. Charly was accepting treats and just walking around (first vid) eating the ones I'd thrown for Yoda who couldn't care less about these treats.

Trying to focus more on the positives you have pointed out helps. I'm noticing Charly turning his back, eating. He wasn't hissing much today (just at the start, after he came in, he hid under the blanket that was hanging off the couch and hissed at Yoda once when he came close. Then I started playing with Yoda and there weren't any hisses after.

Towards the end of the first video and in the second video there are some swats from Charly but no hissing nor growling. Yoda as always isn't fazed by his swatting.

Thinking I shouldn't have "told Charly off" for swatting in the second video. Knee jerk reaction. Must relax even more :) I do speak a mix of Italian and English and sometimes German to them lol, but I guess it doesn't matter what I say, more so how.

After the video they stayed in there another bit and then I lead charly out with his target clicker. Yoda stayed on couch with his feather friend... :lol:
(I did go back in to put it away. Not leaving string toys unsupervised).

Charly was normal after. He transitioned neatly into following the target stick up on the bed and I closed the door, then he got his reward and then we did a couple tricks with the clicker on his pillow and then he went off to go lie on his favourite chair and relax.
"Feeling like this morning went much better. " - Great.

"Before the videos, they were together a bit already with Charly mostly sitting on the dresser watching Yoda." - Great

"I was doing what I usually do with Yoda -playing with his feather. He is obsessed with that thing and will get reallyyyy vocal when I try to put it away lol." - Awwwwwwww

" Charly was accepting treats and just walking around (first vid) eating the ones I'd thrown for Yoda who couldn't care less about these treats." - GREAT. Exactly what we want to see (Charly having something good near Charly - Positive Association - and Chrly having a Positive Encounter with Yoda - no fighting, no challenging, being together in a positive way).

"Trying to focus more on the positives you have pointed out helps." - Ok. Let's focus on everything and weigh them all out to get an accurate picture of how they are together.

" I'm noticing Charly turning his back, eating." - GREAT!! HUGE sign of trust because what animal, human would ever turn their back on a potential threat?

"He wasn't hissing much today (just at the start, after he came in, he hid under the blanket that was hanging off the couch and hissed at Yoda once when he came close." - Great

" Then I started playing with Yoda and there weren't any hisses after." - Great

"Towards the end of the first video and in the second video there are some swats from Charly but no hissing nor growling. " - Ok, I will take a look.

"Yoda as always isn't fazed by his swatting." - GREAT!!! This tells me Yoda doesn't view it as serious.

"Thinking I shouldn't have "told Charly off" for swatting in the second video. Knee jerk reaction." - Ok, I will take a look but I doubt it is an issue.

" Must relax even more :) " - Well, you are doing great. It is only a problem IF the cat then responds negatively. Of course cats take on our emotions so being as calm, confident, positive and loving is helpful but sometimes cats see through our bursts of emotions. We are human.

"I do speak a mix of Italian and English and sometimes German to them lol, but I guess it doesn't matter what I say, more so how." - Well, true BUT they do understand words as well. BUT tone is very important as well as you rightly point out.

"After the video they stayed in there another bit and then I lead charly out with his target clicker. Yoda stayed on couch with his feather friend... :lol:" - Sounds great

"(I did go back in to put it away. Not leaving string toys unsupervised)." - Great, yes, have to be careful.

"Charly was normal after. He transitioned neatly into following the target stick up on the bed and I closed the door, then he got his reward and then we did a couple tricks with the clicker on his pillow and then he went off to go lie on his favourite chair and relax. " - Perfect. SO that tells me it was a Positive Encounter.

Ok, to the videos

Video 1 - Here is a great learning moment. At about 29 seconds Yoda jumps down and Charly doesn't even flinch. Just looks at him. THAT is a HUGE sign of trust between them. He then goes to eating with his back facing Yoda. TRUST!!! Then Charly walks under the table and comes out (confident, trusting) and Yoda doesn't care. Another sign of where they are at (positive). They look at each other, look away. Positive body language. Charly is eating a treat, Yoda then jumps up and Charly doesn't flinch. Another positive sign of trust. And Charly looks like he wants to jump up and play and Yoda runs to the edge and Charly doesn't flinch. These are all signs we look for. how they react when something could be perceived as a threat, etc. Then Yoda jumps down for a treat as Charly is eating one it seems and again, body language is great. I am not seeing any insecurity, etc from Charly. And of course Yoda is perfect. This is another time where if there were issues it would have caused a fight, or serious negative body language. Then Yoda looks down at Charly and Charly is fine. Another sign. Ok, now Yoda went down (fell off) and Charly swatted as it caught him by surprise (normal) And it gets resolved quickly because Yoda didn't react. Then Charly is a bit cautious (not bad), then scratches to cover something up (not sure what that was about) but they do that sometimes and all seems fine (video ends). So overall this is extremely positive and hopefully I explained why a bit better.

Video 2 - Fantastic. So when Charly swats at Yoda jumping up that happens. AND Charly did not follow up. So not a big deal, not surprising he would swat but great it did not continue. Then when Yoda jumps down Charly is fine then at the end Yoda jumps up and Charly is fine. Interactions like this tell us a lot about where their trust is, etc. Answer, it is very high. So would we like Charly not to swat? Sure. It is an issue or a sign of trouble? Absolutely not.

So I did not see in the videos or read anything to suggest any real issues. They are absolutely on track for being successfully intro'd. :) Fantastic.

GREAT JOB!!!! Keep up the great work!!!