Need Grain Free Canned Recommendations

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We currently feed Innova EVO Venison and Turkey/Chicken, but our youngest cat doesn't like the Venison.  We tried Wellness grain free chicken and while everyone liked it, it made their poops very stinky.  (I've had that experience with Wellness previously as well.)  We need to stay away from fish flavors as well.  We've tried Blue Buffalo but had tummy problems with that.  Need some suggestions. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not saying it's the bestest food possible...but we use Fancy Feast classic pate'. It's grain free.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot about Fancy Feast 
There are brands like Fancy Feast that are grain-free. It may not be specifically listed on the label so you would have to read the ingredient list. I know Friskies has a few grain-free varieties but not sure which ones. Fancy Feast Classic has a couple of grain-free varieties. I'm not sure if Elegant Medleys or the other complete diet lines have any grain-free varieties.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We currently feed Innova EVO Venison and Turkey/Chicken, but our youngest cat doesn't like the Venison.  We tried Wellness grain free chicken and while everyone liked it, it made their poops very stinky.  (I've had that experience with Wellness previously as well.)  We need to stay away from fish flavors as well.  We've tried Blue Buffalo but had tummy problems with that.  Need some suggestions. 
Red Barn Tricky Chicky is grain free and was a big hit with all 3 kitties in my house. Merrick pates have gone over well also and are grain free. They like the duck, chicken and turkey. I just ordered a case of Dave's turkey & giblets (grain free, too). It's coming today. That (hopefully) will be their dinner. Other than the once in a blue moon exception, their litter box deposits don't smell at all. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edwina and Ireland recommend:

-Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen foods with chicken: Double Dip, Fowl Ball, Chicken Frick A Zee

-Nutro Natural Choice's minced chicken, sliced turkey, chunky chicken

-TIki's "luau" chicken foods and any of the non-fish Gourmet Carnivore

-Pouches of chicken shreds with pumpkin from Soulistic or Weruva Cats in the Kitchen, as a treat

-Hound & Gatos lamb (they're on-again-off-again with that one!)

Good luck!

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd have a full on revolt on my hands if I ever ran out of Weruva Truluxe Quick 'n Quirky Chicken and Turkey or Peking Ducken Chicken and Duck.  They like On the Cat Wok every once in a while, but that's because they tire of beef cat foods quickly.  Two out of four like the Tiki Gourmet Carnivore Chicken and Turkey and Chicken and Duck, which is a shame because it has more meat than the Weruva.  Weruva is meat in gravy and Gourmet Carnivore is mostly meat with a little water (the "and liver" varieties have more moisture and less meat).  Heck, I would eat the Gourmet Carnivore, it smells that good.  I don't know what's wrong with my cats 

Pride by Instinct is also popular in our house, but only the rabbit and lamb.  And it has to be flaked, not minced 

Hound and Gatos used to be a huge hit, but I think it was too bland to maintain their interest...or they started rejecting it due to the high gum content.  The company is removing the gums later this year, so we may try again when the new formula comes out.

My IBD girl eats Instinct exclusively, but no one else will touch it.  

Everything mentioned above is grain and carrageenan-free, with human-grade meat.  

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have a full on revolt on my hands if I ever ran out of Weruva Truluxe Quick 'n Quirky Chicken and Turkey or Peking Ducken Chicken and Duck.  They like On the Cat Wok every once in a while, but that's because they tire of beef cat foods quickly.  Two out of four like the Tiki Gourmet Carnivore Chicken and Turkey and Chicken and Duck, which is a shame because it has more meat than the Weruva.  Weruva is meat in gravy and Gourmet Carnivore is mostly meat with a little water (the "and liver" varieties have more moisture and less meat).  Heck, I would eat the Gourmet Carnivore, it smells that good.  I don't know what's wrong with my cats :dk:

Pride by Instinct is also popular in our house, but only the rabbit and lamb.  And it has to be flaked, not minced :rolleyes:   

Hound and Gatos used to be a huge hit, but I think it was too bland to maintain their interest...or they started rejecting it due to the high gum content.  The company is removing the gums later this year, so we may try again when the new formula comes out.

My IBD girl eats Instinct exclusively, but no one else will touch it.  

Everything mentioned above is grain and carrageenan-free, with human-grade meat.  
Have you tried tiki Puka Puka luau all white meat chicken? Mine also like Nutro natural chunky chicken and red barn tricky Chicky and Iams liver and chicken delicacies

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys (& gals) are great!  Thank you for all the suggestions!  Are all of these pate?  My crew doesn't like chunks or shredded meat.  They're not picky at all!  LOL

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You guys (& gals) are great!  Thank you for all the suggestions!  Are all of these pate?  My crew doesn't like chunks or shredded meat.  They're not picky at all!  LOL
All of the Nature's Variety Instinct lines except Pride and Go Natural are pate. The Pride is minced and chunks. All of the Weruva lines and Soulistics are shredded / chunk / slice type in gravy. The food looks good enough for a person to eat, lol
Just take a look at the pictures on the Weruva web site. Your cats may like Weruva even if they turned their noses up at other similar foods in the past. I can't remember what Before Grain is, possiby pate? Halo Spot's Stew has some pate foods. Tiki Cat is shredded / chunks/ slices.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All of the Weruva lines and Soulistics are shredded / chunk / slice type in gravy. The food looks good enough for a person to eat, lol
Just take a look at the pictures on the Weruva web site. Your cats may like Weruva even if they turned their noses up at other similar foods in the past.
One of our local pet food stores says the Weruva rep actually will eat the food out of the can! As it's true what LTS3 says about cats changing their minds about shreds: our current cats and previous cat all got to love shreds after being dry food and pate eaters.

The Nutro Natural Choice chunky chicken is pate with some chunks of, yes, chicken. The cats really love that one even though they're more into shreds these days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need the pate style because it's easier to mix up their meds into it.  Also, one of my kitties will not eat anything chunky or flaky.  Been there, done that! 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need the pate style because it's easier to mix up their meds into it.  Also, one of my kitties will not eat anything chunky or flaky.  Been there, done that! 
Ah, got it! Nutro Natural Choice has some soft loaf foods that are pates without chunks: our cats love pretty much anything from NNC, though some of them (including duck, which they love as an occasional treat) have carrageenan.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, got it! Nutro Natural Choice has some soft loaf foods that are pates without chunks: our cats love pretty much anything from NNC, though some of them (including duck, which they love as an occasional treat) have carrageenan.
Chunky chicken and turkey and minced chicken and turkey and sliced turkey have no carageenan

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chunky chicken and turkey and minced chicken and turkey and sliced turkey have no carageenan
Indeed! Those are the ones (minus the chunky turkey, which they're not so wild about) I feed regularly.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Nutro Natural Choice Chunky chicken and Turkey is sort of mis-named. My guys will also only eat pate but they do like the chunky Turkey (avoiding chicken because of possible allergy). It only has two or three very small "chunks" of meat...the rest is totally pate. I will just mash the little chunks when that's what is left after they finish...And then they eat it. Wild Calling is grain free and pate, but my guys aren't too impressed--sort of like Hound and Gatos--love it or hate it...mine hate it. My two pate loving guys eat NVI rabbit and lamb; Natural Choice Chunky Turkey; Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets;Great Choice Classic Turkey and Giblets; and Mauri Kangaroo.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
The Nutro Natural Choice Chunky chicken and Turkey is sort of mis-named. My guys will also only eat pate but they do like the chunky Turkey (avoiding chicken because of possible allergy). It only has two or three very small "chunks" of meat...the rest is totally pate. I will just mash the little chunks when that's what is left after they finish...And then they eat it. Wild Calling is grain free and pate, but my guys aren't too impressed--sort of like Hound and Gatos--love it or hate it...mine hate it. My two pate loving guys eat NVI rabbit and lamb; Natural Choice Chunky Turkey; Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets;Great Choice Classic Turkey and Giblets; and Mauri Kangaroo.
My cats used to be strictly Pate, but when I stopped giving dry they started eating everything, freeze dried, shreds, chunks, minced.