Need Food Recommendation For Smelly Poops Please!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish i could claim my cats poo smells like rainbows and potpourri, but i cant :) My entire house smell like Waste Management. I’ve tried at least a dozen or so litters and none really helped.

Ive tried raw food and some of thtem didnt care for it. I sometimes let the strays cat come inside when theres inclement weather and their pooops is comparable to wet diapers x 10. I cant take them all to the vet to get checked out for worms bc there are just too many and its not a one and done thing.

Please recoimmend either wet ir dry food that reduce the smell. Thanks

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food is the wrong food for a cat’s digestion. The excrement will let you know that every time.

Look for a wet food that is as close to meat, moisture, organs, and supplements (and nothing else) as you can afford. Fancy Feast Classic pates (none of their other lines) are actually pretty good here. Purina Beyond makes some decent looking formulas. They have carrots but if that’s all they have against them, I’d be willing to try that if my kitty didn’t already have so many IBD sensititivities. Friskies is cheap, but it’s also inappropriate. It’s organs over meat with rice. It sounds like poop soup.

Search the forums for recommended probiotics. Add probiotics to everyone’s food (even the strays) and that should help some. Probiotics can’t fix a broken food. But if the food is good, then probiotics can be the missing piece.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think i had tried Fancy Feast before and the poops still smell like fresh horse manure :)
Did you mean Purina’s wet food? If so in your opion i shiuld stay away from all dry food regardless of brands? Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats' poop smells worse than others, no matter what they eat. One of mine eats raw, and his poop doesn't smell. The other eats a very low carb diet (as close as I can get him to raw), yet his poop will clear the house unless he buries it. Another member here feeds raw and their cat's poop still smells something horrible, or so I've been informed. What I'm getting at here is that food may not change how your house smells.

I know if you google your question, it says NOT to feed a high protein diet, which makes no sense at all to me since cats are obligate carnivores and most cats on a raw diet have odorless poop. So, based on that I would say, try to feed them a diet without artificial flavors or fillers like wheat gluton, corn, etc. But, most of all, make sure you are cleaning the litter boxes timely. It's possible that's the issue. We clean ours twice a day, and remember the rule of thumb for boxes...you need one per cat and then one more :wink:

And I forgot to add that you might try adding in pro-biotics to their food. That might help their gut flora. We give our furries 1/2 capsule each, split into two meals. I just add it right to their wet food.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just realized Purina makes Friskies. I tried Friskieswet food from walmart and saw no improvements. It actually made the smell worst. Maybe Purina Beyond can food is better?

Ill look into the probiotics thanks.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
And lots of litter. Boxes need to be more than twice as long as the cat. Best ones are homemade.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Purina Beyond myself or rather with Krista. Or if we did, it was a long while back. But looking at the ingredients, it has carrots and guar gum. Those are the only objectionable ingredients I see. Fancy Feast has guar gum. Guar gum isn't as bad as xanthum gum as far as my Krista will tell me. Anything with xanthum gum is going to tie up her tummy and soup her poops.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your indoor outdoor cats might also have worms if you don’t deworm them monthly. That’ll cause smelly poops.
I’ve always used everclean. Best litter on the market for odor.
My cats are on high quality canned, nature’s variety raw boost kibble, and some raw and I can never smell their poop.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Purina Beyond myself or rather with Krista. Or if we did, it was a long while back. But looking at the ingredients, it has carrots and guar gum. Those are the only objectionable ingredients I see. Fancy Feast has guar gum. Guar gum isn't as bad as xanthum gum as far as my Krista will tell me. Anything with xanthum gum is going to tie up her tummy and soup her poops.
Just gave the p b Turkey liver quail. They loved it. I couldn't see the carrot so it must be very tiny pieces. It is pate filled to the top.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aside from when my cats IBD acts up and causes loose stools, I can't think of a food that actually increased the odor level of his stools. I think I'm with mrsgreenjeens on this one. At least for my kitty, it doesn't seem to matter much what he eats as long as the stools are firm. He was recently switched from dry to canned and I do notice a slight difference in odor when I scoop the box, but not a difference in the degree of odor. He just has never stunk it up other than when he has had loose stools from IBD flare ups.

That said, Yucca is added by some manufacturers to reduce stool odor. I've read that it may decrease odor by up to 26% but I think it's highly individual. Of course it comes along with questions as to whether it's appropriate for animals to be eating it.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yucca. Interesting. Amazon has it in powder form for less than $10. I might give that a shot thanks

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yucca. Interesting. Amazon has it in powder form for less than $10. I might give that a shot thanks
I'd do a search first for "yucca in cat food", or similar. Read the differing opinions on any risks versus benefit.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yucca is a starchy, carby vegetable. I would opt for a probiotic instead and try to do as much as possible to treat the cause rather than the symptom.