Need Feedback On Introducing Adult Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She did come down to eat the other night and she was on the counter while I stayed on the kitchen floor with Momo feeding him chicken to distract him and keep him from jumping up there. Amazingly, she noticed him, hissed once, and went back to eating. Small victory!
That's sounds like a slightly bigger than "small victory". Maybe keep feeding them treats like that whenever (if ever) they're in the same room/area at the same time.

I think this will also help Olive because "his" litter box will be in my office and she'll be forced to use it instead of "hers" in the basement. Is that a bad idea?
Not sure. Watch to ensure she will actually use it. You certainly don't need litter avoidance issues.

She still seems to prefer being in our bedroom most of the day, so anything I can do to encourage her to be out and about more in the rest of the house would be progress.
Again, not sure. Hopefully the members with more cat experience, especially with introductions, will reply with advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's sounds like a slightly bigger than "small victory". Maybe keep feeding them treats like that whenever (if ever) they're in the same room/area at the same time.
Thanks! I think what worked in our favor was that Olive was already eating when she spotted Momo, and she was up high, so we'll keep trying that. Generally she can't be distracted by treats or toys if he's around, even through a door. I just wish Momo didn't make a beeline for her as soon as he sees her, but I think (hope) he's just super-curious about this angry she-beast. :lol: She has started expressing the *tiniest* bit of curiosity about him too; she stands near the closed bathroom door (not the screen) sometimes when he's meowing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has started expressing the *tiniest* bit of curiosity about him too; she stands near the closed bathroom door (not the screen) sometimes when he's meowing.
And we'll take that with a big grin! ANY step forward is a victory!

olivecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week we had another incident where Momo chased Olive and she wet herself. I don't think he even made contact this time; her fur wasn't even ruffled. She's just so scared of him. I did observe that he's not making any aggressive noises when he gives chase, he just kind of runs after her and she flips out. All the noise is coming from her.

Feeling rather stuck at this stage, we decided to try putting Momo in the dog's crate and sitting with Olive in the room with him for a few minutes. We offered them both food and Momo happily ate his while Olive shot lasers out of her eyes at him and low-growled and hissed. Here's some video. As you can see in the second one, she eventually settles a bit in that she finally wears herself out enough to lie down fully, but she will not eat in his presence or approach the crate. The good news is, as soon as she's let out of the room she's recovering more quickly than in the past, eating and playing and being affectionate with us.

Thoughts on this approach and/or their interaction in the video? (Sorry for the crappy filming, I was in a weird position!) Our goal is to do this a couple of times a day until she settles, then gradually increase the time until we can try it without the crate. We will always be in there with them. I suspect her fear reaction is what's provoking him, so we just want her to chill out long enough to learn he's not trying to hurt her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last week we had another incident where Momo chased Olive and she wet herself.
:(

Thoughts on this approach and/or their interaction in the video?
I don't have any thing helpful to mention about the video, however, have we mentioned the possibility of taking both cats either to the vet, a friend's place, or just out in the car together. In separate cat carriers, of course. The thought being that if they went to the vet together, they might find the experience a bonding one. Really, though, anything to change the scenery for them, and maybe make it easier, or different, when they got back safe at home.

olivecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any thing helpful to mention about the video, however, have we mentioned the possibility of taking both cats either to the vet, a friend's place, or just out in the car together. In separate cat carriers, of course. The thought being that if they went to the vet together, they might find the experience a bonding one. Really, though, anything to change the scenery for them, and maybe make it easier, or different, when they got back safe at home.
Thanks, that's a good thought! Olive is very nervous in the car and at the vet, but Momo is quiet and calm. (None of that confidence was on display at the shelter where we got him, whereas Olive was a little ham when we adopted her...go figure. :lol:) Maybe she'd handle a short jaunt to someone's house better.

Our second evening of Kitty Exposure Therapy seemed a little better. Here's hoping this is the key...