Need CKD recipe

Harinio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I read an article on Dr. Mercola/Dr. Beckers website about CKD and diet. Becker interviewed Dr. Pierson who is a cat expert. She disagrees with most vets who say protein is the enemy. She says diet s/b 40% protein and 60% fat (and zero carbs). Plus vitamins and minerals. She doesn’t mention what the fat source should be other than fish oil. Do you know if fish oil should be the only source of fat or if there are other things? If other than what specifically? How would proportions be calculated?

Thanks

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fat sources can include fatty parts of muscle meat and organs as well as skin. Check out feline-nutrition.org for a recipe. You’ll want to use the boneless version (the most popular is the eggshell substitute) for a CKD kitty since bone is high in phosphorus. I would probably also consult with a nutritionist for a CKD cat to make sure the phosphorus level is at the right amount, but feline-nutrition is a good place to start.

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is my recipe for my late stage CKD cat. Remember, this is a really low phos recipe. If your cat is not that bad, a normal raw diet without bone will most likely work.

45 days of serving

3lbs Pork Shoulder

3lbs chick thigh meat ( 6 leg?)

8oz of liver

1.5 cups of raw sticky rice

Cook them all

Fish oil every day

5.55tsp calcium carbonate(6600 mg of Calcium )

800IU vitamin E

6000mg Taurine

2x B50

2000mg Choline

2 Iron sup (130mg of iron)

6 x thyroid sup (picture attached mostly for lack of zinc, iodine and copper )

8g of Potassium (2880 mg of Potassium)

less than 1/4 tsp of sea salt

Attachments

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my recipe for my late stage CKD cat. Remember, this is a really low phos recipe. If your cat is not that bad, a normal raw diet without bone will most likely work.

45 days of serving

3lbs Pork Shoulder

3lbs chick thigh meat ( 6 leg?)

8oz of liver

1.5 cups of raw sticky rice

Cook them all

Fish oil every day

5.55tsp calcium carbonate(6600 mg of Calcium )

800IU vitamin E

6000mg Taurine

2x B50

2000mg Choline

2 Iron sup (130mg of iron)

6 x thyroid sup (picture attached mostly for lack of zinc, iodine and copper )

8g of Potassium (2880 mg of Potassium)

less than 1/4 tsp of sea salt
That is an awful lot of liver and vitamin E for only 3 pounds of meat. :eek3:

What is the purpose of the sticky rice? Why do you add both sea salt and thyroid supplement?

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have 6lbs of meat in the recipe so not sure If it shows up correctly on your end?
My cat doesn’t eat food that’s watery and my goal is to add at least 120ml of water daily in her diet beyond what’s in the meat. So sticky rice is a perfect binder to create a sticky consistency instead of a soupy mess. Also, sticky rice is low on the allergy list and chicken and rice is a classic CKD recipe amount cat nutritionist.
As for the thyroid supplement, I’ve attached the image of the product. it’s a combination of copper, iodine and zinc. If a cat Is fed a chicken only diet without lamb and beef liver, they are deficient in those micronutrients. So those supplements are necessary if you want to create a somewhat balanced meal. As for salt, that’s the amount of sodium lacking in the recipe so I added that.

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is an awful lot of liver and vitamin E for only 3 pounds of meat. :eek3:

What is the purpose of the sticky rice? Why do you add both sea salt and thyroid supplement?
Also, rice adds calories to the meal with the tiniest amount of phos, probably the lowest in the food list per 1000kcal. It only provide 10-15% of her daily caloric intake and my cat metabolizes it very well. For most cats fed on traditional dry foods, the amount of carb I add is pretty negligible. So even tho she’s feed 180Kcal daily, she poops only every 2-3 days with her victory tiny poop :)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have 6lbs of meat in the recipe so not sure If it shows up correctly on your end?
My cat doesn’t eat food that’s watery and my goal is to add at least 120ml of water daily in her diet beyond what’s in the meat. So sticky rice is a perfect binder to create a sticky consistency instead of a soupy mess. Also, sticky rice is low on the allergy list and chicken and rice is a classic CKD recipe amount cat nutritionist.
As for the thyroid supplement, I’ve attached the image of the product. it’s a combination of copper, iodine and zinc. If a cat Is fed a chicken only diet without lamb and beef liver, they are deficient in those micronutrients. So those supplements are necessary if you want to create a somewhat balanced meal. As for salt, that’s the amount of sodium lacking in the recipe so I added that.
Sorry I missed the extra 3lbs of meat! You're right.
Have you considered feeding the meat raw with its moisture intact? That would be the best way to add both water to the diet and maintain the natural nutrients. I'm not a big fan of feeding large amounts of grains to cats as they are carnivores and don't have the physiology to properly digest grains.

Cats need a very small amount of sodium. The sea salt is also a source of iodine so the thyroid supplement and the sea salt are both contributing to iodine. It would be good to do some calculations to see what the amounts are and to compare with the AAFCO min and max values.

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I missed the extra 3lbs of meat! You're right.
Have you considered feeding the meat raw with its moisture intact? That would be the best way to add both water to the diet and maintain the natural nutrients. I'm not a big fan of feeding large amounts of grains to cats as they are carnivores and don't have the physiology to properly digest grains.

Cats need a very small amount of sodium. The sea salt is also a source of iodine so the thyroid supplement and the sea salt are both contributing to iodine. It would be good to do some calculations to see what the amounts are and to compare with the AAFCO min and max values.
Yes, I did initially tried to feed raw but had to give up cuz my cat is not a huge fan of being fed on time. She had food poisoning as well, mostly my fault for leaving the food out a bit long. But after I switched to cooked, I feel more comfortable leaving the food out for her to eat whenever she feels like and she never had an incident again. Since she’s a CKD cat, the most important thing is that she eats her food. So I gave up the fight on her eating on the clock haha.

As for the salt,I actually didn’t use sea salt lol. I use non- iodized table salt, and yes I calculated the amount before I decided on 1/4 tsp. I use NRC guideline myself :)