Need Advise, Should I Bring Stray Cat In Just For The Winter

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi peoples. I am in a dilemma, thought to ask before I do something stupid.

Where I live there are many stray cats roaming. There is one particular cat that is so friendly and cute, and the winter is coming. I know that unfortunately I cannot adopt another cat. I also heard, and I don't really know how much this is true, that once you bring a cat home, he cannot survive anymore when released back to the outside.

So, I don't know if I should leave the cat outside since I can't keep him forever, or bring home for just the winter and release back when the weather is good again. Of course I will try to find a permanent home for him while he is with me, but that's not easy given where I live, people rarely have pets.

I also have a cat at home, I think he will enjoy the company of a bro, would it be cruel to separate them once they bond? Ugh..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a bit confused as to why you cannot keep him inside all of the time? Bringing him in for the winter and then setting him free might be very difficult for him. He may not understand why he is no longer allowed back inside.

If you truly cannot bring him inside, could you make a winter shelter for him outside? There are some amazing ideas for shelters that are simple and cheap and also more expensive models that use heat pad and heaters. It all depends on your budget.

First step for this kitty is to be sure he is neutered. If not, he will roam, fight, yowl and howl in search of a mate. Also he will be impregnating female cats and producing more and more unwanted kittens.

If you do decide to bring him inside, even though you current cat might like a playmate. Cats are very territorial. Just throwing them together is a recipe for disaster. Especially if one of them is not neutered. The outside kitty, would need a room of his own to start. Introductions would need to be made slowly between the two cats. Some cats will adapt quickly while others can take months.

Thank you for caring about this kitty and wanting the best. We can help to give you suggestions if you decide to bring him inside or build him a shelter outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a bit confused as to why you cannot keep him inside all of the time?
I just am not ready to adopt 2 cats, primarily financially, but also I'll be moving from the country soon, by myself, and I'm overwhelmed by having even one creature to be responsible for.

Regarding the shelter, I can ask someone to build it, but where I live pet stores do not have prebuilt shelters. We don't even have animal cruelty laws. I guess I can see if that can be done, but the shelter might not be able to protect that cat, cause there are many and most likely bigger cats will take it. He is about 4 months old now.

I just came home from feeding him and was a hair away from bringing him up to the apartment with me. For neutoring it's too soon, my cat is a male too and the vet refused to castrate him before he was 9 months old.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just am not ready to adopt 2 cats, primarily financially, but also I'll be moving from the country soon, by myself, and I'm overwhelmed by having even one creature to be responsible for.

Regarding the shelter, I can ask someone to build it, but where I live pet stores do not have prebuilt shelters. We don't even have animal cruelty laws. I guess I can see if that can be done, but the shelter might not be able to protect that cat, cause there are many and most likely bigger cats will take it. He is about 4 months old now.

I just came home from feeding him and was a hair away from bringing him up to the apartment with me. For neutoring it's too soon, my cat is a male too and the vet refused to castrate him before he was 9 months old.

My advice: take the kitten in and then try to see if you can find somebody who will adopt him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over the years I have cared for many feral cats. I started with a very basic rubbermaid container stuffed with straw and gradually each year created something news. All of the shelters I used were made by myself or my DH. Here are some of the shelters I used: Shelters

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am assuming there is hesitation to add another cat because of where you live? I saw your other posts about the government and microchipping. I know some things can be complicated but if you can bring the cat in permanently, that is best. What about the possibility of a cat door? A garage or outbuilding where it can go in and out? Any chance it could be and in and out cat? Any possibility of fencing a small area to put a shelter so you can permanently care for kitty? A shelter during a very harsh winter is a must if you want to help this kitty survive. Just how bad are the winters there? That information would be helpful. If you cannot keep him, finding another person to take him is the second best option. I really hope you can save him. I am very grateful that you are such a caring person. We look forward to an update.

JakCrow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Work with someone to trap them and get them into foster homes so they can ALL be adopted.