Need Advice

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here and I'm looking for advice on canned foods for a cat with kidney disease, my cat Simone will be 14 yrs old this April, She just started Subcutaneous Fluid Therapy today, I'm looking for foods low in protein and phosphorus, any help would be appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you LTS3...I will check the sites, and those threads out!! :)

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UGH, I am having the hardest time finding a decent food for Simone, we've gone through at least 6 new brands if not more, and she will seemingly like a food but then next feeding she turns her nose up, I really messed up with the Weruva Truluxe as it is shreds and she hates them, I've been trying to go back on the felinecrf.org site to choose a few more foods to buy this week, but the site is down, this is so frustrating!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH, I am having the hardest time finding a decent food for Simone, we've gone through at least 6 new brands if not more, and she will seemingly like a food but then next feeding she turns her nose up, I really messed up with the Weruva Truluxe as it is shreds and she hates them, I've been trying to go back on the felinecrf.org site to choose a few more foods to buy this week, but the site is down, this is so frustrating!!
cats can be so hard with food. i have one that likes shreds, the others do not, they want minced. i found that with many of the shreds i can mash and chop them up with a fork and the other cats will eat them. I have heard others say a quick mix in the blender or food processes works for them?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she on anti-nausea meds? CRF cats often get nauseated from their poor kidney function. What happens is that they eat a food, get nauseated, and assume that the food caused it. So the next time, they refuse to eat it. And then you end up having to look for more foods.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've pureed minced food before for my cats and it doesn't take long. Worth it if it gets them to eat!

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did the food processor yesterday and that didn't work for her, I have cut it up before too, I guess it's just not her thing!!
I tried the weruva truluxe from a recommendation in another thread, and I was hopeful as she has had some weruva before and she did eat some of that but it was the regular canned food, I guess the texture of some foods are the problem as she likes the consistency of the fancy feast pate, and the primavera flavors, but I know it's not good for her so I'm trying to find a happy medium!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried toppers to get her started? My fussy cat needs something sprinkled on his food just to get him eating, once he starts he's usually pretty good at finishing up his bowl. Things like Fortiflora and crumbled freeze-dried meats work well. I do wonder about the meat though with a cat with kidney disease.

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried toppers yet, I did order the freeze dried duck treats yesterday from chewy so I could try it on her food today!