Need Advice!

cat112233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray about a year ago. Kitty is a beautiful, all black cat, and I just fell in love with him immediately. He was about 2 when he started coming around, and is 3 1/2 now. He has had all his shots and I give him flea medicine every month. I would love for him to be an indoor cat, but we have made tremendous strides since I first took him in. He now stays in almost all night, and always stays close to home. If I hear an animal or if the weather is turning bad, I clap my hands and he comes running right over.

Just a quick background story: On 2 seperate occasions he was attacked by an unknown animal. The first time his ear had a slash mark, and the 2nd time he had a bite mark on his cheek. Both times I heard the incidents go down, but never saw anything. When I heard his howl I went running.  Both incidents took place at night, and Kitty, wanting to defend his territory, didnt want to come in, but I finally made him. I took him to the vet both times. He was treated and made full recoveries with no scars! He now stays in most of the night which is great!! I know its bad to let them out at all, but he loves being outside so much, so I try to monitor his outdoor time and then he comes in before it gets to late.

So, lastnight I heard his howl and was afraid of another fight. It was earlier in the evening than usual. When I ran downstairs, there was an orange cat sitting near Kitty. I have never seen this cat before. Kitty was clearly upset by this and was howling and wining. The orange cat appears to be very gentle, and the confrontation may have even been coming from my cat, so I tried to calm him down but his tail was fluffed (I dont know the exact term, but it only happens when he fights). I tried to shoo off the other cat, but I was afraid Kitty would go after it, so when he wouldnt come in I picked him up and brought him in. He was, of course, furious with me, but atleast he was safe.

Kitty is the first cat I have ever had, so I am new at all this cat stuff. I want to be a good cat mom, and dont want him to get hurt again, but I also dont want to make the situation worse if he goes looking for this other cat. Do they need to settle their differences?

So tonight the orange cat came back and I heard Kitty howling again. I went outside and tried to play mediator. I tried to let Kitty know that this was his home, and no one would take his place, and if he didnt want the other cat around I would shoo it off again. I tried to take my cue from him. They 2 sat near each other for a while, and every now and then Kitty would wine, I dont know if that means he was upset or scared or angry? The other cat still doesnt seem confrontational, but I am still nervouse (especially since I dont know if he is healthy).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your try to talk them down may very well be a good solution.

Them sitting opposite each other is a sort of armed neutrality, they dont fight but are essentially hostile, waiting for the first to tire or be scared...

Here. They can do so as pals, but it is not teh case here.

As said, talking down helps sometimes...  Proceed to try!

Good luck!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Next time you see both of them outside, try taking out some treats and giving each of them treats, toss one towards the orange cat, and give one to Kitty, so Kitty associates a good thing (treats) with an unknown/scary thing (Kitty).

If you have a friend, I would suggest playing with them, one friend playing with one cat, the other, you, with Kitty or Orange Cat.  (I would avoid competitiveness.)

I assume Kitty is neutered.

I assume Orange Cat is NOT (orange cat is probably male, maybe not, but odds are slightly in his favor that Orange Cat is male).