NEED ADVICE?

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a year ago I had this wild cat come into my house and she has since made herself at home. She seems to have gotten pregnant. I dont know when tho. I thought she was just gaining weight from being fed all the time instead of fending for herself . Well, 3 days ago she started meowing and she had à clear kinda abloodyish discharge. Her meowing lasted less then 10 minutes but i then realized she was pregnant although i never felt any kittens moving inside of her. Then lastnight she was breathing really fast and meowing loudly and wanting attention. Also seemed to have contractions.She tried pushing and nothing came out. She then went too find a place to have them and couldn't find one that was suitable i guess. This lasted about a half an hour. She didn't have any kittens. That happened at 11pm last night. Its now 11pm the next day. No kittens. No sign of labour. And i still dont feel any kittens. She had contractions last night and i read contractions were the.babies moving. Was she in her first stage of labour last night and it just hasn't been Long enough? Has anyone else had similar experience? Any help would be appreciated. thank you

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is stopping labour as she's not happy with where she is.

If she was in labour 12 hours ago she should have a kitten by now.  If she was mine I'd be talking to my vet.  (I would also have taken her for spaying soon after she turned up)

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl, sounds very stressed

I'd have vetted her once she was pushing with no results, hopefully you've taken her in by now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be some sort of precontractions, esp as you didnt felt kittens moving. You usually do feel them kittens move about 2 weeks before delivery.   Precontractions happens sometimes.

But here we are in guessing zone, so please contact your vet. If you have several vets, choose one who is used to cats and cat pregnancies...  Phone at least. The vet will know which follow up questions to give.

Be prepared to take her in to the vets place.

How is she now?  You say no sign of labor.  If she is calm, no distress, etc, you dont need to panic.

If she is in any sort of unfruitful labor, hurry.

As said, we shall not guess on a Forum, let the vet do the guesses.

If you come in, and he wants to x-ray; better ultrasound or palpitation if the vet can such.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She wasn't pushing hard or a lot. Just a couple of times and it ended. She's acting completely normal aside from these things i've mentioned. She's eating,drinking,playing and seemed relaxed. I wasn't sure if should call a vet so soon or just wait it out and see if maybe yesterday was just a first sign. She's young so im pretty sure this would be her first litter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So lets assume it WAS precontractions this time. But for next time, find a suitable vet to phone and ask,  and if necessary visit /rush to, if you dont already have one.

Next time it may be for sharp.  You never know.

Good luck!

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. So about 10 minutes ago, willow was laying on my bed and when she got up i noticed there was a very liquidy brownish red under her.would this be her water breaking or a bloody show? i contacted my vet who basically said she should have kittens soon. was this liquid her water breaking?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't break water as such, each kitten has its own sack sometimes before the first one you'll see the water first but it should be clear

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so what do you think it was?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be anything really, generally it's a sign of infection or separated placenta. I would be vetting her personally. 

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought willow to see the vet and he said she could have a urinary infection. Either that or a misscarriage. He didn't feel any lumps in her belly but her stomach is bigger and hard so he said she could be in an early term of pregnancy as her belly is bigger. Bu with an infection. So glad I got that done I was soo worried. Hes going to test her and check if that's what it is. Thanks soo much guys.great advice! and nice too meet you. :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great you got her to the vet, if she is in early stage you can spay her ASAP

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great you got her to the vet, if she is in early stage you can spay her ASAP
Right, and if she had a miscarriage its too wise to spay her as soon practically possible. Ie as soon the infection /inflammation is stabilized (=downgraded).

So spaying in whatever variation, as soon the vet tells it is OK for him with this infection/inflammation.

Good luck!    :)

Last edited: