Need Advice: Worried (should I Be?) About Brownish-red Urine...

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Freaking out a little about blood in my cat's urine. The back story...

Gracie's four and was adopted in October 2018. She's a fabulous cat -- very affectionate and playful, and eats/sleeps/poops/pees normally. She had a full wellness work-up at the vet's when I got her, and everything was A-OK.

This afternoon, she walked into the room after having used the litter box and I noticed a few clear brownish droplets on her floofy haunches. At first, I thought it might be poop residue... but she'd already pooped this morning, so I suddenly realized it might be pee. Bloody pee.

EEEEP!

I went to the litter box to investigate: a normal sized pee clump that didn't look to be an odd colour... though, the litter is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat and it turns dark grey when wet, so it's hard to tell what colour the pee was.

But on the tile floor just next to the litter box was one drop of a clear, reddish-brown liquid that I assume was a droplet of pee.

It's a holiday in Canada, so I'll be calling the vet's office first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get a same-day appointment, but wanted to post here to see if anyone can calm my nerves a bit. ;-)

Googling "blood in cat urine" has scared the bejesus out of me -- mainly because she has exhibited no other signs of a UTI or cystitis, which are the most benign of the long list of possible causes. She's behaving totally normally, isn't frequenting the litter box (still two normal-sized pees a day), isn't straining or yowling while using the box, etc. So, THAT has me worried because what if that means what she has is actually something more serious???

She's also been quite sneezy, which I chalked up to seasonal allergies since everyone I know is also sneezy these days.

One thing that gives me hope that it might be something fairly benign: I was away on holiday for 10 days, and she was staying with my sister (who has an oafy but gentle male cat named Larry, who's Gracie's frenemy). Gracie came back to my place this past Saturday (May 18th), so I'm wondering if any of this can be chalked up to the stress of all that...?

Oh, and her diet is 50/50 wet/dry. She's a normal weight (about 8 pounds) and also a good drinker: she has a big drink of water (sometimes two) every morning, usually just before/after a poop.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance! :-)

And here's the obligatory photo of my little schmooper waiting for cuddles...

schmoop.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, abyeb abyeb -- I'm calling the vet as soon as they open this morning. Yesterday was a holiday here, so all clinics (save for the emergency vet, which is nowhere near where I live) were closed... and both Gracie and I were long since in bed by the time you posted.

She is eating, sleeping, playing and behaving TOTALLY normally, and is having zero litter-box issues, so I'm really hoping it's just stress-induced cystitis that will settle now that we're both back at home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The brownish fluid could also be related to the anal glands, which sometimes can start to become clogged and doesn't always have a reason behind it. If that is the case, the vet can express the glands to correct the problem. Then, it would be a matter of time to see if she is going to have a recurring issue with them.

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . She saw the vet this morning, who said her physical exam (heart, lungs, et al.) was totally normal. He said it's odd that she wasn't exhibiting any of the typical signs of cystitis or a UTI, such as frequent visits to the litter box or crying while in there, though.

He said it could all just be an anomaly, or something that's easily treated, or the very early stages of something more serious (kidney-wise), when cats are basically asymptomatic.

They're doing blood, urine and stool tests, and there *was* blood in the urine sample when they took it. :-( Results should be in tomorrow, so all fingers and paws are crossed in the meantime.

Does anyone know how long kidney issues take to develop? She had a complete blood panel done back in October and everything was A-OK... which I'm hoping is a good sign?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I hope it is not kidney issues! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

But, cystitis can cause blood in the urine - without an infection. It is an irritation/inflammation of the bladder lining and can precede a UTI or be seen after a UTI begins. I think it is even possible without a urinary infection ever happening at all.

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, it can be stress-induced... but the vet said even in those cases she would typically be exhibiting some other signs of an inflamed/irritated bladder, but she hasn't been. Honestly, had I not seen those brownish droplets, I never would have guessed anything was amiss.

That's why he said her bladder may actually be totally fine, and the blood could be originating higher up in her urinary tract somewhere.

At this point, I'm really hoping it's just cystitis. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, you're sure he checked her anal glands??

I am sure other members who deal/have dealt with kidney issues will come along and give you some tips/first hand information - when they have time to log on and read through new posts. But, from what I have read on this site, if any such kidney problem is identified fairly early on, it can be managed and treated and not necessarily have to get worse. Let's go with that, if not cystitis!!

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All test results are now in: it's a bladder infection/inflammation. There was blood, white blood cells, and crystals that result from infections (not diet) in the urine.

So, she's on a course of antibiotics and seems to be tolerating them well. All other test (blood, fecal) results were 100% normal. PHEW.

:yess:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad to hear that you got everything figured out! The antibiotics should clear that up soon.