Need advice: Poor food & fluid, chattering mouth with salivation

TeePieNhie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. This is long but I really really really need help for my cats!!!

I currently have three outdoor cats ( less than 1 yr/old ) and their fluid and food intake are not very good for the past three days. Citro (male cat) started to show these symptoms. I noticed he had some light brownish mud-like stuff on his nose, jaw, and legs. I assumed he walked through the muddy area (we live in the country). He meows, walks, and runs just like he always do. Then the other day, I noticed black stuff on his body. I pulled at least 10 tiny baby SNAILS and I went ahead and cleaned him up. I noticed he was a bit better. Based on my research, snail and slug poisons contain a compound called metaldehyde, which is extremely poisonous to cats and dogs. Then the next day, that's when I noticed he was not drinking and not eating at all. So I gave him a 10 mL (syringe) of fluid (filtered water) with a little bit of water to make sure he's hydrated. One of the tips I found online was to add flavor in their water or food, such as tuna. He ate a pinch but not a lot. Then here comes our Tigra (female cat), she started but I didn't find any snails on her. So now I am speculating if there was chemicals spilled outside or something and I found NADA. The this morning, our third cat Cali (female and just had kittens last week) started the same. I gave her milk this morning and she drank it.

I have been trying from pure water, to sugar water, to salt-water ( 1/4 tsp / gallon of water ), to milk, to sugar-milk ( 1/4 tsp / 2 cups milk ), to vienna sausage and sauce ( they didn't say no to that ), and I have a running water outside for them. However, they're seem looking for something else. You know when you're sick, you only like certain food (e.g. soup, oranges), because I believe the body system is demanding it (correct me if I'm wrong). With this COVID-19 situation and the vet office being close, I don't know what to do. I will still force water every two hours to flush out whatever they have in their system, but is there anything else I can do or avoid? They are walking around, meowing, and all, but just not drinking and eating. Also, their mouth is like chattering. I know they are thirsty there's no doubt to that. And I have not seen them poop or peed ( or maybe they did when I wasn't around ) I'm even suspecting that there must be something wrong with our water, or maybe their cat food... but my indoor cat is healthy.

If anyone can help me please? I really appreciate it. - thank you in advance.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets and their staff are essential employees much like doctors and nurses. Vet offices are open but hours may be limited. At the very least, give your vet a call and explain your cats' issues. If you get a voice mail message, listen to it as it will tell you who to call.

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Might be a stupid question but have you looked inside their mouths?
Sounds like some sort of poisoning, I would try and find a vet that is open. Hope it turns out well for you and your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeePieNhie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Might be a stupid question but have you looked inside their mouths?
Sounds like some sort of poisoning, I would try and find a vet that is open. Hope it turns out well for you and your cats.
Not stupid question at all :) --- yes I did check their mouth. I checked everything to make sure, especially after I found out about what snails can do to dogs and cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeePieNhie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Thank you for the quick response. I do appreciate it.
I did call the vet offices around the area and left a voicemail. I will call back again if I don't hear back in an hour.
Just a few minutes ago, I noticed that Citro and Tigra seems like they're coming out of it but they still don't have the appetite. What worries me now is my mama cat.