Need advice please

Paladin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted two barn kittens in hopes to makes them house kittens. Long story short. They are beyond terrified. Barely eating, haven’t seen them drink, not using a litter box, but have been peeing on themselves/their beds. They shake any time we go into the room. But we are able to pet them without them attacking. Only had a few hisses. We’ve had them three\four days. I know they are understandable stressed. I’ve rescued feral cats before, I get it. I have never had kittens like this. One is about 8 weeks and the other is older about 12-15. My question is at what point is it too much. I feel terrible that they are so stressed, is this all for nothing? The whole reason we got kittens was for our other kitten to have a playmate.
Again, I understand it’s only been a few days, and they are stressed to the max. But they can only go so long without really eating, up til now they just been tiny amounts or going number 2 or drinking water that I know of.

any advise is appropriated
we have been using cat music defusers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paladin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for all the typos. Using my boyfriend’s iPad and I’m not used to the keypad.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were a bit late for easiest socializing. Prime time for socialization is a bit earlier than their ages.

They should warm up to you pretty soon, but the lack of eating is a real problem. Just keep trying different foods, particularly smelly ones like tuna, to see if something will whet their appetites. Leave it out for them to eat at their pleasure, and try not to bother them.

Something soothing will help. You can try a pheromone diffuser. You might try a radio, set to play softly on a talk station as an alternative to the cat music (it's what I've used). Kittens sometimes miss the sounds of their siblings and mother. They make artificial heartbeat toys to take care of that, or you can use a ticking clock or watch to mimic mom's heartbeat.

Being outside cats, they may not know what the box is for. Cats sometimes need a bit of help in that respect. Put something soiled with their urine and a bit of scat (if you find some) under the litter. Cats being very scent-oriented, they should get the idea that the box is for pooping from the smell. They might need help digging, too. You can dig a small hole in front of them and put them over it, or maybe take their paw and make a digging motion in the litter.

A toy or two won't hurt. I suggest a ping pong ball. The noise seems to be irresistible to cats, they're cheap, and you can hear if they're playing without disturbing them.

If you have time, go into their room and interact indifferently with them. Go about dusting, pick up the room quietly (no vacuum cleaner!), and read out loud to them, or just try talking to them, but limit eye contact. They'll come around.

Paladin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were a bit late for easiest socializing. Prime time for socialization is a bit earlier than their ages.

They should warm up to you pretty soon, but the lack of eating is a real problem. Just keep trying different foods, particularly smelly ones like tuna, to see if something will whet their appetites. Leave it out for them to eat at their pleasure, and try not to bother them.

Something soothing will help. You can try a pheromone diffuser. You might try a radio, set to play softly on a talk station as an alternative to the cat music (it's what I've used). Kittens sometimes miss the sounds of their siblings and mother. They make artificial heartbeat toys to take care of that, or you can use a ticking clock or watch to mimic mom's heartbeat.

Being outside cats, they may not know what the box is for. Cats sometimes need a bit of help in that respect. Put something soiled with their urine and a bit of scat (if you find some) under the litter. Cats being very scent-oriented, they should get the idea that the box is for pooping from the smell. They might need help digging, too. You can dig a small hole in front of them and put them over it, or maybe take their paw and make a digging motion in the litter.

A toy or two won't hurt. I suggest a ping pong ball. The noise seems to be irresistible to cats, they're cheap, and you can hear if they're playing without disturbing them.

If you have time, go into their room and interact indifferently with them. Go about dusting, pick up the room quietly (no vacuum cleaner!), and read out loud to them, or just try talking to them, but limit eye contact. They'll come around.
Thank you for your reply. That’s my biggest worry right now. Them not getting enough food. They wouldn’t even touch tuna yesterday also tried the lickable treats, the didn’t show interest. We have several different types of food. We already had two cats, so we have countless toys and food. We even have three cat towers. Very spoiled pets live here. We have the heartbeat thing, defuser, music.

As for the litter box, they haven’t even gone #2. But will just pee wear they are ant not move. Which is also worrisome because I know cats want to be clean.

I just want them to live the best life, if they want to be back on the farm, that’s fine. We love them and just want them to be ok. I know they can’t go many more days without getting a good meal.

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will probably get yelled at for this BUT I will suggest. put them in a warm room. plenty of water. and then add some soft music. ( sort of like background music) for food.. I would suggest using canned salmon. not cat food.. but the real thing( sort of lol) and just let them be for a few days.. they are scared and dont know where they are. dont know who you are. I just got lucky with one of my own introductions. It will work out in the end. as far as the littler box. I dont have any idea of advice.. i am sure people here can help

Paladin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will probably get yelled at for this BUT I will suggest. put them in a warm room. plenty of water. and then add some soft music. ( sort of like background music) for food.. I would suggest using canned salmon. not cat food.. but the real thing( sort of lol) and just let them be for a few days.. they are scared and dont know where they are. dont know who you are. I just got lucky with one of my own introductions. It will work out in the end. as far as the littler box. I dont have any idea of advice.. i am sure people here can help
I’ve done all this even have a tiny heater in the bathroom they are in. We have two bathrooms, so I just go in there a couple times a day to make sure they are dry, still have food/give fresh etc. I’ve also been going in there to sit on the other side of the room to just do stuff on my phone so they know I’m not gonna hurt them.

Paladin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is them. They do this all day, every time I check on them. They have an actual bed but they kept trying to lay in their litter box. So I gave them another box with a blanket.

Attachments

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cute pic.. and i do understand it.. they are huddled like this for comfort and security. You are on the right path. this is just going to take a little time. I was sure my 2 boys were going to fight it out for a full 8 months. but after 3 days. I could sleep at night. they still did not trust each other.. but 2 weeks later. I feel like I can leave the house.. you will too. I would suggest putting in a hot water bottle. in the box with them. it might help them calm down
these are my 2 boys. ages 12 and 8

Attachments