Need Advice On Screening Potential Adopters

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very pretty.
I think it helps to request that people include their number when responding
more serious people will reply, not just time wasters.
If you ask them what they would like to share with you they will normally open up
describing their lifestyle, living situation. Not just you asking them questions, people lie all the time.
On the phone after a few e mails You get a true sense of them.
Do you want an indoor or outdoor home? Depends on your comfort level
you may decide that's it up to new owner, if you allow your cat's to be out.
My preference is that they already own a cat
(for company) replacing a previous 'cat friend' usually works out great, it's a real need, plus
have experience. If people e mail saying they can stop by to pick her up right away offering
No information..that's a red flag.
If they tell you they just 'moved into a new place' Pass...to many people search for a new
pet instantly when they get a new apartment, housing situation. You're trying to weed out
on-a-whim buyers.
A home with young children can be allot of work, a busy loud household some people view
kittens as live entertainment for kids, mom's cannot always supervise...cats are not toys.
During this process you may end up falling in love keeping her yourself :redheartpump:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your input. We have not been lucky finding her a good home. The only viable option was to take her to a shelter that offered to take her in, but I could not bring myself to take her there. She is comfortable here, she has gotten used to my dogs and even plays with my other cat, so we just decided to keep her. Her name now is Tita (short for Gatita, little cat in Spanish). I will post pictures of her in another thread to introduce her properly. Thanks again!
Muchas buenas!

Not surprised; I'd have kept her too!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to rescue but due to college and lack of funding, I stopped. But when I was placing animals in a new home, I asked to visit their home and see pictures of what will be their new pet's setup. I also ask for history of other pets and ask them how they were looked after or see how their current pets are being looked after. I ask basic care questions about the species and even the difficult ones to see just how educated they are.

It's also better to speak over the phone rather than just through emails and text messages. I prefer the old fashion way of doing things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no serious people interested in her. Only people who want a toy for the kids, or who somehow think she'll remain a kitten her whole life, and those who just want to know where to come and pick her up, just like that. I even had one lady getting mad at me, saying I should be thankful she was willing to "take her off my hands" and that she could get a kitten anywhere else. So no, thank you, we'll keep her and I truly hope this lady doesn't get a kitten.

Tita has already become a great addition to our family! She loves to sleep on my lap and, as I'm typing this, there is a small paw suddenly appearing from behind the screen on my computer. She even manages to tire out our big, 13 pound cat, and it is really funny looking at that big guy trying to be dainty playing with Tita. :crackup: Here is a picture of the two of them playing. Again, thanks everyone for your great advice.
_MG_3070.jpg

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you abyeb! That is a great questionnaire. I think I'll ask some of those questions and request regular picture updates to see how she is doing, although it can be tricky to track down people if they don't. I'd also like to get contact information from people, but I can see why most people would be reticent to give more personal information such as their address, since they don't know me either.

In any case, one thing is for sure. I will not give her away without a thorough screening or to someone I already know and trust.

Anyway, the kitten seems to feel right at home here and my other cat (the one in my profile picture, also found in the street and also black) seems to be mildly interested in the kitten and so far has not made much of a fuss about this intruder coming into his territory, so I guess that is a good start if she ends up staying. Coincidentally, I found this kitten three years to the day from when I found my other cat, at almost the same age as this kitten!
As soon as I read the part about the timing, three years, to the day, same age; I knew the kitten was staying with you. I don't really believe in coincidences and this was too perfect. It was meant to be!
It's kinda fun reading through the posts and seeing how many people don't read. It's not like pages and pages of posts. It is wonderful how many people want to help make sure a kitty goes to a great home, and this one found the perfect home!
Looking at the pic of the your big boy playing with Tita, I don't think he'd forgive you if you sent her away. He would be lonely now.

catkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Last week I found a tiny black kitten, about 8 weeks old, in the middle of traffic :eek2:. I brought her home, got her checked by a vet (she is healthy!), but now I am trying to find her a good home and have posted her around several rescue groups. Tonight I got a call from a lady supposedly interested in adopting her, but my gut feeling just tells me something is amiss. She was just interested in knowing if she could pick her up tomorrow, just like that. She did not even ask any questions about the cat and only told me that she could provide a good home for her and that she has the space to keep her.

I just don't want this kitten to fall into the wrong hands or people using her for some satanic ritual. After all, it is a black cat and I think I should be extra careful just because some people can be really stupid about black cats :argh:.

So, what are some good questions I should ask potential adopters?

I am in no hurry to get her adopted. I can wait for as long as it takes to find her the right home. If in the end she stays with me, then that is fine too. It is just that I would rather find her a home so that I have the extra space to help other cats. I've attached a couple of pictures of her from today. Thanks everyone for your help!View attachment 184147 View attachment 184148

catkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no serious people interested in her. Only people who want a toy for the kids, or who somehow think she'll remain a kitten her whole life, and those who just want to know where to come and pick her up, just like that. I even had one lady getting mad at me, saying I should be thankful she was willing to "take her off my hands" and that she could get a kitten anywhere else. So no, thank you, we'll keep her and I truly hope this lady doesn't get a kitten.

Tita has already become a great addition to our family! She loves to sleep on my lap and, as I'm typing this, there is a small paw suddenly appearing from behind the screen on my computer. She even manages to tire out our big, 13 pound cat, and it is really funny looking at that big guy trying to be dainty playing with Tita. :crackup: Here is a picture of the two of them playing. Again, thanks everyone for your great advice.
View attachment 185009
Hi I think you should keep her . I work in rescue and with the Spca . I get the address google it and see where they live and when the cat is to go home I take the cat to the residence , that is where you will find the answers you are seeking . People lie and it is a know fact that they throw them outside and take to a shelter and these are people you have trusted your animal with call references , call their vet . investigate is the key. Watch for ones that says they cant afford a vet , or complain about the food they buy is too expensive . Your heart is the key you will know , most of all watch them when they hold your kitten , touch tells a lot .

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As soon as I read the part about the timing, three years, to the day, same age; I knew the kitten was staying with you. I don't really believe in coincidences and this was too perfect. It was meant to be!
It's kinda fun reading through the posts and seeing how many people don't read. It's not like pages and pages of posts. It is wonderful how many people want to help make sure a kitty goes to a great home, and this one found the perfect home!
Looking at the pic of the your big boy playing with Tita, I don't think he'd forgive you if you sent her away. He would be lonely now.
Yep, I don't quite believe in coincidences either, but I think this was just too much of a coincidence to find another abandoned black kitten, again while walking my dogs, three years to the day :headscratch:... it's just too much!

Both cats spent the day yesterday playing, running around the house, and up and down the scratching post that today they have spent most of the day sleeping and have only woken up to ask for food, so you're right my big boy would not forgive me if I sent her away. I actually never expected him to accept Tita so fast and so easily.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I don't quite believe in coincidences either, but I think this was just too much of a coincidence to find another abandoned black kitten, again while walking my dogs, three years to the day :headscratch:... it's just too much!

Both cats spent the day yesterday playing, running around the house, and up and down the scratching post that today they have spent most of the day sleeping and have only woken up to ask for food, so you're right my big boy would not forgive me if I sent her away. I actually never expected him to accept Tita so fast and so easily.
I'll just stick with it was meant to be. <3 btw video? That scratching post is awesome!

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a suggestion, any money received for the kitten could go to a local vet to be held there until she is ready to be spayed. I have even put this money up myself when I wanted a good home for an especially nice cat (although they all are!) Just like our potential renters, you can tell a LOT about a person by their car. If it is all banged up, dirty and completely full of trash, beware! We have found that people who don't care about their cars are people who usually don't care about anything else either. It can be old, but well cared for is the key. Good luck!
Very good point about checking out their cars -- I know of several HR people (who interview potential hires) who take the potential to lunch -- but ask THEM to drive (so the HR person can see their car) for the very same reason!

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
That was my thought exactly, as soon as I read the circumstances of you finding her. I love black cats, and adopted one last fall from a shelter. He has brought such joy to my life! I wish you many happy years with her!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you're keeping her. I totally understand. People can be really awful when it comes to animals. I remember when I was trying to find a home for my rescue, Hazel. Luckily, I found an amazing rescue group that works to rehabilitate her.

I wish you nothing but the best! Congratulations on your new little one.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks msfriday and graceful-lily! I have really been careful trying to figure out why the people who called really wanted her (and all the advice I was given here was very, very helpful) because where I currently live people are just awful to black cats. Not all people, of course, but enough to make me wary.

My older cat was thrown into the garbage as a tiny kitten, severely malnourished and left there to die. That's where I found him. Tita was left in the middle of traffic and other people had noticed her before I got there and they where just laughing at her seeing how scared she was running along the median. For some reason they found it funny. So that is why I could not give her to anyone without checking them thoroughly.