Need advice on raccoon problem

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other morning I went out to feed the outside & ferals cats. There are 4 adults and 2 - 10 week old kittens. They are fed in the garage which they access thru a pet door. The dishes were empty which is unusual. Then I noticed the container that has the food was open. I figured it was a coon. Last nite I put a camera out there and sure enough the dishes were empty and the coon had been in there. He also opened the container with the food and even managed to get the scoop out so he could get in there. I know I can keep the container closed so he can't get in that but not sure what I should do with the food dishes. The cats feed quite a bit at nite and I don't want to suddenly not have any food for them especially the kittens. I have a chest freezer right there. If I put the dishes on there would that be safe from the coon? I know the adult cats can jump up there but not sure about the kittens. How high can a coon jump? Or should I not put any food out there for a couple of days until the coon moves on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raccoons can't jump very high, but neither can kittens. So, I'd say you have a bit of a problem. I suppose you could try to set a trap up outside of the garage/pet door and place peanut butter in it - that is assuming none of your cats would like peanut butter. Raccoons, however, very much like it and we have trapped a couple of them that way. I have heard that marshmallows and fig bars attract raccoons, and hopefully not so much cats/kitttens.

Hopefully, other members will come along with some other ideas for you to try that might not involve removing the food from your cats/kittens.

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
It's important to ensure the safety and well-being of both the feral cats and the other animals in the area. Here are a few suggestions to address the situation with the raccoon accessing the food dishes:

1. Secure the food container: As you mentioned, keeping the container closed or finding a more secure storage option can help prevent the raccoon from opening it. Look for a container with a tight-fitting lid or consider using a lockable bin.

2. Elevated feeding stations: Placing the food dishes on a raised platform, such as the chest freezer you mentioned, can make it more difficult for the raccoon to access the food. Adult cats are generally capable of jumping onto elevated surfaces, but it's essential to ensure that the platform is stable and safe for them. Monitor the kittens to see if they are able to reach the elevated feeding station. If not, you may need to find an alternative solution for their feeding.

3. Time-restricted feeding: Consider implementing a feeding schedule that aligns with the cats' natural behavior. Instead of leaving food out all night, try offering meals during specific times when the cats are most active. This reduces the likelihood of attracting unwanted wildlife and ensures the cats have access to food when they need it most.

4. Motion-activated deterrents: Install motion-activated devices, such as sprinklers or lights, near the feeding area. These can startle and deter the raccoon from approaching the food. Ensure the devices are set up in a way that won't startle or harm the cats.

5. Seek advice from local animal control or wildlife experts: If the raccoon continues to be a persistent problem, it may be beneficial to consult with local animal control or wildlife experts who can provide guidance and potentially assist with trapping and relocating the raccoon to a more suitable habitat.

Remember, it's crucial to prioritize the safety of both the feral cats and the raccoon. By implementing these measures, you can help ensure that the cats receive their necessary meals while minimizing the risk of unwanted wildlife interactions.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, gracious. We have the same problem. Our former feral kittens grew up outside watching the racoons. Sally still dips her hands in water now that she is inside 24/7 now, emulating racoon behavior. (I say "hands" instead of paws out of habit. And cats learn from watching other cats so I guess she and Bree must have thought they were they were all in the same as racoons.) Bree has gotten better about it, but I found her playing with three pieces of food in the water this morning, probably put there by Sally.

Now we only have one feral who lives on the front porch (I caught him in my TRN sting operation) and one male cat on the back porch who thinks we are doing him great harm if we bring him inside. Everybody else stays in. And here's where it gets bad. A large racoon visits the front porch nightly for food and a smaller one eats on the back porch with Oscar. We've get possums, but I am so in love with them it's insane. Haven't seen any lately, and I am actually worried.

We would never hurt the racoons, but they certainly aren't afraid of us. I have even seen one in daylight, which made me uncomfortable, but sometimes nocturnal animals wandered around on the prison yard where I worked because the inmates fed them. DH and I are in the same boat, but I am glad to hear racoons can't jump that high. I have never had any harm a cat here that I know of, but unlike possums (which come with their own set of diseases) racoons can carry rabies. I have faced off with a racoon on the way out to the car at night. He wasn't backing down and I was trying to chase him away. Finally, he waddled off. I feel bad because I know he is just after food, but feeding wild animals is not a good idea. (Says one part of a couple who fed a doe for an entire season because she somehow found herself alone and in our front yard. Very expensive. Bags and bags of corn.)

I have no advice, but it will great when the kittens are old enough to have their dinner at a higher elevation. And I identify with you, that is for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raccoons can't jump very high, but neither can kittens. So, I'd say you have a bit of a problem. I suppose you could try to set a trap up outside of the garage/pet door and place peanut butter in it - that is assuming none of your cats would like peanut butter. Raccoons, however, very much like it and we have trapped a couple of them that way. I have heard that marshmallows and fig bars attract raccoons, and hopefully not so much cats/kitttens.

Hopefully, other members will come along with some other ideas for you to try that might not involve removing the food from your cats/kittens.
It's important to ensure the safety and well-being of both the feral cats and the other animals in the area. Here are a few suggestions to address the situation with the raccoon accessing the food dishes:

1. Secure the food container: As you mentioned, keeping the container closed or finding a more secure storage option can help prevent the raccoon from opening it. Look for a container with a tight-fitting lid or consider using a lockable bin.

2. Elevated feeding stations: Placing the food dishes on a raised platform, such as the chest freezer you mentioned, can make it more difficult for the raccoon to access the food. Adult cats are generally capable of jumping onto elevated surfaces, but it's essential to ensure that the platform is stable and safe for them. Monitor the kittens to see if they are able to reach the elevated feeding station. If not, you may need to find an alternative solution for their feeding.

3. Time-restricted feeding: Consider implementing a feeding schedule that aligns with the cats' natural behavior. Instead of leaving food out all night, try offering meals during specific times when the cats are most active. This reduces the likelihood of attracting unwanted wildlife and ensures the cats have access to food when they need it most.

4. Motion-activated deterrents: Install motion-activated devices, such as sprinklers or lights, near the feeding area. These can startle and deter the raccoon from approaching the food. Ensure the devices are set up in a way that won't startle or harm the cats.

5. Seek advice from local animal control or wildlife experts: If the raccoon continues to be a persistent problem, it may be beneficial to consult with local animal control or wildlife experts who can provide guidance and potentially assist with trapping and relocating the raccoon to a more suitable habitat.

Remember, it's crucial to prioritize the safety of both the feral cats and the raccoon. By implementing these measures, you can help ensure that the cats receive their necessary meals while minimizing the risk of unwanted wildlife interactions.
How high should an elevated feeding station be so the raccoon can't get to it?

I have food out during the day also. I go out in the morning and put out fresh food and then again late afternoon which lasts all night. When I have a trail cam set up, I see the cats all eat during the night at sometime or another. That is why I am so reluctant to removing food altogether at night as the cats are accustom to having food available at night.

This raccoon is quite smart. The cat food is in a container that has handles that lock. He/she can open the container. So today after I put food out for the cats, I put a bag of sunflower seeds on top. It's probably 25-30# so it should keep him from getting into the food.

How many days will it take for the raccoon to move on when he can't find any food?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately (or fortunately) coons and skunks are the things we don't have here, as they are almost only found near a running water source...ie..river, stream.
So the only advice I can offer is an extreme one.
Feed the cats/kittens, wait until they are all inside the garage and nail the door shut (or however you seal it). Keep them inside until the kittens grow enough to get up to the elevated feeding area.
Sorry, but this is all I have.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I went out this morning, the food dishes had a little food left in them so I was sure the coon did not get to them. And he wasn't able to get into the closed food container. The little kitties gobbled food as soon as I put it down. I might add the mother cat is still nursing them which eases my mind a little bit.
I viewed the trail cam pics and could see the adult cats did figure out how to get to the food. But the kitties did not. Too high for them. I could see them searching the floor where the dishes normally sit and that was upsetting to see. The coon showed up but he did not get up on the chest freezer. He was there only once. The nite before when I had the trail cam up he had been in and out several times during the nite. I'm going to do the same thing tonite and see what happens. Hopefully the coon will move on.
We live in a rural area.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you mentioned that the raccoon is quite smart and can open locked containers...
They make screw-on lid adapters for five gallon buckets. They have a heavy, plastic ring that you attach to the top rim of the bucket. Place it over the rim and bang it on with a rubber mallet. Once it's locked on, it won't come off...ever. Then, there is a threaded lid that screws down, into the ring and seals tight. No raccoon would be strong enough to unscrew that lid or pry it off.

(You might be able to find some of these at your local Home Depot, etc.)

We used lids like these when I worked in the chemical plant. You can't carry dangerous chemicals around in open containers. Everything has to be secured in a spill proof container. (OSHA regulations, IIRC.)

If these lids are good enough to contain pure sodium cyanide, they would be more than sufficient for keeping coons out of your stored cat food! ;)

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband has some 5 gal buckets with those lids. They came that way and he puts his fittings in them. Those buckets are too small for me. I'm using a 24 qt container that holds a 35# bag of cat food. I also use one for the sunflower seeds for the birds. It looks like this. 6f37eaf5-641f-4bba-a37a-b9db6d18781b.1ce0b4ecd47062c893b19e3de2d3fe31.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also used to use metal drums that were about that size. The lids had steel bands to hold them on and they were secured with half-inch bolts. The containers were stored in locked, fireproof cabinets, inside a chain link enclosure, inside a locked room. You needed three keys to get stuff out of that room and you had to scan your employee badge whenever you went into or out of that room.

I suppose that's overkill but it would sure keep the raccoons out! Wouldn't it? ;) ;) ;)

Anyhow, 24 qt. is equal to six gallons. What do you think about splitting up your stock of cat food into two containers? If one container ever got dumped or, somehow, spoiled, you wouldn't have all your eggs in one basket.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two containers would be fine but I lack the space. Once this coon moves on, we can get back to normal.🙏

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was so curious to see what everyone's suggestions were, as we have this same problem - and have for years, and it's getting worse. Unfortunately we have to leave a door cracked in our detached garage for the TNR'd guys to come and go (they stay in our detached garage, where they have a large heated IKEA hutch w/windows, so they at least can see the raccoons before they come out of the hutch!).... and the furry bandits found the open door quickly.:argh:Then we realized the raccoons set up camp in our garage attic (it's not fully floored, so cutting off their access to the garage attic is a huge operation, plus I've frustrated my husband by saying we can't just seal it off until all the raccoons are out). And now we've added an opossum to the gang foraging for food in our garage. :cringe:

In prep for doing the garage attic (I think it'll take a hazmat team of 20 just to clear it out) - we've stopped any hard food free-feeding in the garage except for a designated hour in the late morning and also in the VERY early evening. We didn't had any luck elevating the food - - raccoons are master climbers! (I actually like raccoons - but watching an entire family scale the plywood garage walls is like watching an all-raccoon production of "The Ring.") We then feed soft either inside the house (if we can convince them) or try to be out with them while they eat in the garage.

I just reached out to our local wildlife rehab center - and they said that raccoons generally don't like wind/moving air, noise, or light. They suggested putting a few fans around the food area (obv you'd need to make sure the kittens can't get their paws in). They also suggested setting a radio up near the food and playing it relatively loudly during feeding time.

Good luck - and I'll be watching this thread to see what works for you!!!! Good luck!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also meant to say that we don't even leave food in a bin in the garage. Stopping them from getting into it was virtually impossible (altho see some members above have some more industrial suggestions that'd likely stop them). So we just keep the food bin in the coat closet. The biggest help for keeping the peace until we close off the attic was limiting the feeding time. The cats adjusted quickly - and the raccoons generally go elsewhere for food.

Again - can't wait to hear what works!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In all seriousness - if he comes back, definitely call your local wildlife rehabilitator before you do anything about moving him. Because many states (Ohio is one) have made it illegal (with a big fat fine in our state) to catch and release any raccoon to anywhere other than your own property. And you can't cross a state line with one either. And also in many states (again - Ohio) if you call a company to remove him, they are legally bound to euthanize him. My hubby's very much an animal lover, but he does really hate dealing with the raccoon suburbs we have in that attic. But I finally quoted this thread to him, and he finally agreed on fixing the garage attic floor and blocking them out, but having the hazmat-suit-wearing professionals remove them and set them in their traps in the backyard while we seal the last section. That way no furry bandits have to die - they just can all go back to living in the woods across the street! :crossfingers:

dcam

CATHOUSE15
Kitten
Purraise
The other morning I went out to feed the outside & ferals cats. There are 4 adults and 2 - 10 week old kittens. They are fed in the garage which they access thru a pet door. The dishes were empty which is unusual. Then I noticed the container that has the food was open. I figured it was a coon. Last nite I put a camera out there and sure enough the dishes were empty and the coon had been in there. He also opened the container with the food and even managed to get the scoop out so he could get in there. I know I can keep the container closed so he can't get in that but not sure what I should do with the food dishes. The cats feed quite a bit at nite and I don't want to suddenly not have any food for them, especially the kittens. I have a chest freezer right there. If I put the dishes on there would that be safe from the coon? I know the adult cats can jump up there but not sure about the kittens. How high can a coon jump? Or should I not put any food out there for a couple of days until the coon moves on?
I had the same problem. I have a feral cat sanctuary with cat houses surrounded by Purrfect Fence. I don't know if raccoons can jump but they can climb over fencing very well. I decided to start a raccoon feeding area at the front of our property away from my cats. Now, every night the raccoons are waiting for me to come out and feed them. I give them dry dog food, marshmallows, dry cereal, and cheap vanilla cream cookies. Raccoons are hunter/gathers so I scatter the food in the area so that they have to find it and it keeps them from consuming it quickly. I also have a couple of containers of water there for them. We have about 10 raccoons that come on regular bases. I have discovered that raccoons are very beautiful, timid, and gentle animals. A few of them will now take marshmallows and cookies from our hands. I'm looking forward to when the moms start bringing their babies. Most importantly they have stopped raiding my cat houses. Watching the Raccoon Whisperer (James Blackwood) videos on YT was very helpful to me.

Attachments

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since he was there only once the other nite and not at all last nite would it be safe to leave the food down on the floor tonite? I just hate for the baby kitties not having food all nite.