Need advice on moving with cats

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 3 little monsters. two are brother and sister (tinker and Wilbur) and one is a stray we brought in and adopted.

they do NOT like each other. so Wilbur and Tinker are fine together, but pickle doesn't like any other cats

So here's my dilemma. I'm moving my mother to Arizona in a couple months. I've opted to have a moving company transport everything because I can't come up with a solution to move, driving everything, AND manage the cats.

So that leaves me with the cats. I was thinking the best way to do this might be to get two large dog crates. then rent a cargo van. That way I could manage them, the environment etc

Wilbur has to get shots and pills twice a day. so I CANNOT have someone else do this.

has anyone ever done this? I'm moving 1100 miles.

Honestly, this issue is stressing me MUCH more than  the move, or getting the new place.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having two large crates sounds like a good plan.  This would give them all room to move around, and you could hopefully fit in at least a small litter box to each of them.  I'd suggest covering them up so that Pickle can't see the other two and vice versa.  This would give them a sense of hiding and comfort.  If you can get a tip proof water dish for each crate that would be helpful as well. Cats tend to drink a bit more when stressed.

I once moved from Florida to New Jersey via car with a cat in the back.  Long trip, and she was not the best passenger.  She did eventually settle in after a while but for sure it wasn't easy.  

How long is your trip going to be?  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi sivyaleah and thank you for the reply.

I could drive it in 24 hours, but since I'm going to have to stop frequently for the monkeys I figured I'll split it into two days. I'll drive to Albuquerque day one, then on to Phoenix the next day.

if the cats struggle i might even stay a day at the hotel just to let them cool down, but let's be honest, they aren't going to relax much in a hotel room anyway. Tinker and Wilbur have never been outside, and Pickle does NOT like being outside since we brought her in. I think she gets scared that if she goes out, she won't be able to come home. But frankly, I don't want her our anyway. She got out one time when we didn't realize the door was open. i closed it and drove around. I got back and opened the door again to call her and she was sitting there waiting and BOLTED in. I was very lucky. Wilbur and Tinker, having never been outside, would not have made it back I'm very sure. Thankfully pickle knows where home is.

anyway, I'm rambling. I'm so worried about this trip it's crazy

Last edited:

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take the time to harness train all cats so they are comfortable wearing it. That way you can restrain them when needed.

I have flown with my cat and i feliway sprayed  her carrier to reduce stress.