Need Advice On How To Progress Cat Introduction! New Cat, 2 Resident Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be a good idea to block their access to the kitchen cabinet unless you can give it another way down. Just until they are a little more intergrated.
Thank you for the idea!

So, today: Donatello stayed in the tower and growled a bit at Cocoa when he got close, but no attacks!

When it was Dunlop’s turn, Cocoa scared him which prompted an attack. I was about to separate them when my husband told me to just let it play out, since Dunlop was posturing and not attacking. Soon, Dunlop put his fur down. Cocoa didn’t growl or hiss, just had his ears back a bit and kept it cool. Dunlop touched Cocoa’s face a few times then walked away.

Cocoa then found a weak space and went under the cabinet. Dunlop watched him for a bit, then laid on a chair. Cocoa did not look stressed, and wasn’t breathing heavy, so I brought some food down and fed both cats. Then, I decided to just go out of sight and see what happened.

After 10 minutes, I peeked around to find that Cocoa had come out! Dunlop was staring at him, but with good body language. 5 mins later, and they’re both lounging by each other!

Now, Dunlop is just following Cocoa from a distance around the house, but he’s not slapping him into corners either!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the idea!

So, today: Donatello stayed in the tower and growled a bit at Cocoa when he got close, but no attacks!

When it was Dunlop’s turn, Cocoa scared him which prompted an attack. I was about to separate them when my husband told me to just let it play out, since Dunlop was posturing and not attacking. Soon, Dunlop put his fur down. Cocoa didn’t growl or hiss, just had his ears back a bit and kept it cool. Dunlop touched Cocoa’s face a few times then walked away.

Cocoa then found a weak space and went under the cabinet. Dunlop watched him for a bit, then laid on a chair. Cocoa did not look stressed, and wasn’t breathing heavy, so I brought some food down and fed both cats. Then, I decided to just go out of sight and see what happened.

After 10 minutes, I peeked around to find that Cocoa had come out! Dunlop was staring at him, but with good body language. 5 mins later, and they’re both lounging by each other!

Now, Dunlop is just following Cocoa from a distance around the house, but he’s not slapping him into corners either!
Following is fine. Cornering is bad.

I can hardly find a photo of Rockets first few months without Link lurking in the background. His though was he wanted to play with his new toy... Errrr sister.... And she just wasn't sure of him yet.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Following is fine. Cornering is bad.

I can hardly find a photo of Rockets first few months without Link lurking in the background. His though was he wanted to play with his new toy... Errrr sister.... And she just wasn't sure of him yet.
Haha definitely! Cocoa is the first cat Dunlop’s been introduced to that isn’t an alpha, so he seems a bit disturbed that he’s not fighting back

Cocoa has been out with Donatello now for a few hours. So far, Don hasn’t wanted to move. But, he’s been napping and did eat some dry food at the same time as Cocoa’s meal! I also had a fast-placed play session and Don just watched. The Thundershirt is helping his anxiety so much - I’m sure that if we’d have tried this without it on, there would have been fear aggression. Cocoa also knows to stay away from the tower. (After one warning growl this afternoon!) Hopefully now when he does decide to come down, it’ll be positive.

Attachments

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Super positive update!

So tonight was the first visit between all 3 cats. My husband and Mom did it while I was at work, since my nerves are too high and they pick up on it. Nobody got into a fight! Partway through, my Dad came over and they took Don out of the Thundershirt. Don actually left the tower... and ignored Cocoa. Even passed under a kitchen chair he was sitting on.

Dunlop was still being a bit of a jerk. There was no all-out chase like yesterday, but he did feel the need to get in Cocoa's face a bit with paw slaps. Then he left Cocoa alone. Cocoa has decided his favorite spot to sleep is the top of the stairs. Dunlop came upstairs and didn't like that, and proceeded to whip him in the butt and give him a big wet hiss. They were together for about an hour, and then it was ended since my parents had to leave.

I'm not quite sure what to do to make Dunlop feel less salty about the territory invasion, honestly. There's 4 litter boxes, two towers, two cat beds (one on kitchen cabinets and one on dining room hutch), 2 beds, chairs and office chairs, and three separate feeding areas. I guess all we can do right now is keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't escalate? We're also wondering if Dunlop is pushing to be alpha again... it'd explain why he's been a bit saltier with Don, too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible. It took my Mom's cat a good four months to stop hissing at Rocket when she got to close. As long as Cocoa is not stressed and it isn't getting worse I wouldn't worry. They will figure it out on their schedule.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible. It took my Mom's cat a good four months to stop hissing at Rocket when she got to close. As long as Cocoa is not stressed and it isn't getting worse I wouldn't worry. They will figure it out on their schedule.
That's totally fair! I'm glad it worked out between the two of them. I definitely see why putting the new cat away in their safe room when you're not home for a while is so helpful too - it's an ambush-free environment where they can calm down, sleep, and use the litterbox which helps reduce stress.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so night 2! They’ve been together now for about 3 hours. No fights, but a bit of aggression towards Cocoa. Dunlop will be alright with him for a bit of time, then run him towards a space, but they are letting off periodically and Cocoa does keep coming out. A few scared growls from Don, but no attacks. Now if Dunlop gives Cocoa “the stare,” Cocoa will back off somewhere, then they get over themselves. Separating them hasn’t really stopped it, or diverting the behavior. I’m getting the feeling that we should let them “cat” for the next few nights and see how it goes. All 3 ate a meal together in the kitchen. They seem to be testing Cocoa to see if he’s a threat or not. (I’m watching Cocoa for stress and anxiety, of course!)

Any advice would be appreciated! No physical aggression, just some growls and hisses.

Last edited:

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Growls and hisses are cat communications. No physical aggression is great!
Thanks! Things went a bit downhill at the end, with Cocoa just walking downstairs, and Don immediately growling and sending Cocoa into a space I didn't see by some boxes. Donatello stood down and just watched him after. Dunlop got a bit angry with Donatello, so they both were in the same area as Cocoa. I fished Cocoa out and brought him upstairs for some relaxing play before he went back in his safe room, and the other two didn't go after him which is good I guess? I'm just scared that the behavior will get worse because I want this to work so bad.

I'm really trying to not let the bullying/passive aggression not get to me, and to keep doing positive associations. I keep having a sinking feeling that this may not work if they can't get over themselves, though.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the updates!

Tonight is going better than yesterday. Dunlop chased Cocoa a bit right away and did a bit more challenging, but no attacks. They settled down for a bit in my office, but Cocoa got chased to the “safe place” again when he jumped by Dunlop to try and leave. We aren’t blocking the cabinet off yet because this is a safe space where Cocoa knows the other two won’t get him and he goes there to calm down. This let Don know that Cocoa was out, so he went downstairs in the Thundershirt and growled/loud meowed at Cocoa a bit. Don stood down, then went in my office and watched him too.

Cocoa, brave soul that he is, slowly inched his way out of the cabinet until he was just lying outside it and lounged. Don gave him a few growls so he went under there again, but came out again a few minutes later and flopped again. Don went to lay in my office a bit, so Cocoa came upstairs and Dunlop didn’t chase him right away (yay!) After Cocoa tried to get our dinner, Dunlop came up and Cocoa hung out on the cabinets for a bit until Dunlop went downstairs again. Don decided he’d rather just watch/nap in his safe place, on the top of the tower. I played with Cocoa a bit. Dunlop came upstairs again, and went right up to Cocoa. They just looked at each other for a few seconds (no swats!) and Cocoa decided to go lay on the piano a few feet away. I played with Dunlop a bit with a quiet toy (you know, positive associations!) They then were both in my office together. Cocoa is still a bit freaked out by Dunlop... but Dunlop actually fell asleep in my chair and slept the rest of the night! Leaving Cocoa to be a cat for a few hours. We took Don out of the Thundershirt for a bit at the end, and he still didn't want to move from the tower, which was cool. 4 hours and only one "altercation."

Our vet recommended trying Clomicalm with Dunlop (lowest dose), since the herbal stuff isn’t helping, the Thundershirt doesn’t work on him, and Dunlop tends to spray when he’s mad or stressed out. So far it seems to be helping a bit! It's not a permanent thing, just to help the good first associations be positive ones.

Last edited:

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another little update:

The past two nights, there’s been a bit of bullying/aggression, but no actual fights! It’s more of the residents growling/chasing/hissing to let Cocoa know territory rules. (Like, you cant be in the bedroom when I am). The residents will go off and sleep in their usual spots and not watch him all night. Cocoa, the brave champion he is, has not let the residents get him down at all. The bedrooms will be a bit of a territorial hotspot, but they’ll for sure work it out. Dunlop has gone in for the butt sniff a few times, but Cocoa backs away, which starts a bit of stalking but not for long. Don is still a bit scared, so he’ll hiss or loudly growl and Cocoa (with a bit of stalking) until Cocoa retreats a bit, then backs off.

We actually left for a few hours to go for dinner tonight, and when we got back, all was well! Don was still sleeping in the tower, and Dunlop was sleeping downstairs while Cocoa greeted us at the door. They’ve been together about 6 hours now.

Knowing the personalities of our boys, we’re thinking it’s okay to leave them alone for a few hours at a time now without having to worry.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We actually left for a few hours to go for dinner tonight, and when we got back, all was well! Don was still sleeping in the tower, and Dunlop was sleeping downstairs while Cocoa greeted us at the door. They’ve been together about 6 hours now.
That's a huge step in the right direction. :clap2:

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! We are trying to leave them out all day now to see how they get on. My husband will be home most of the day while I'm at work.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little update! Also checking in to make sure things are progressing okay. (I've never introduced a non-dominant cat before!)

They've been in the house for 16 hours now. Basically, the residents slept a lot, and Cocoa had a big nap too. Only one "chase under the bed" incident while I was at work, then Dunlop walked away after 10 minutes. Since I'm "food mom" everyone got up when I was home from work. Don ate around him on the floor, and Cocoa ate on the counter after Don was done. Dunlop came upstairs for dinner then, just as Cocoa was going downstairs. So that was a 5 ft chase with some swats. Then both residents basically stared at Cocoa on the countertop for 10 minutes. Don had good, but cautious body language. Dunlop was a bit more aggressive, with a bit of puffy fur that calmed down when he saw Cocoa wasn't moving.

Cocoa went to use one of the upstairs litter boxes, so I sat in the hallway and blocked it so the residents, who were staring, wouldn't approach him. (it's in a super visible spot, so the user can see any incoming cats from at least 5 ft away). Cocoa finally noticed the two residents and went under the bed. Donatello just loafed and stared at him for a while, while Dunlop left the room and kept coming back a bit. Cocoa came out when they left, and they had another little staredown in the kitchen. Since there's no fighting or growls or hisses, I'm just downstairs letting them "cat."

Is this pretty normal for the first few days of long visit times? I feel like they're still assessing if Cocoa is a threat. He's not being constantly bullied, but there is some dominance stuff while the residents are up. (If Cocoa moves fast). Cocoa doesn't seem super stressed - he's still chatty and hamming it up.

*edit* another example: Cocoa came downstairs to see what I was up to. Dunlop chased him halfway. Cocoa jumped on the ledge to look out the window while Dunlop curled up in his favourite chair. A few glares, but he's not full-on chasing him into a dead end 24/7. Since then, Cocoas been playing with some toys upstairs and chirping, with the residents not really caring. They also watched him use the litter box with no reaction!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With my Ruby only, it's hard for me to judge whether interactions between multiple cats is good or not, but things sound pretty good to me. Especially the last sentence with Cocoa using the litter box, maybe not exactly in private, but in peace. Hopefully they are finally working things out. :crossfingers:

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my Ruby only, it's hard for me to judge whether interactions between multiple cats is good or not, but things sound pretty good to me. Especially the last sentence with Cocoa using the litter box, maybe not exactly in private, but in peace. Hopefully they are finally working things out. :crossfingers:
Thank you, I’m thinking so! Since there were no huge incidents, we decided to keep leaving Cocoa out overnight! I was woken up twice by Dunlop swatting Cocoa under the bed, but other than that it was quiet. Donatello usually sleeps in the bed with me the last bit of the night, he didn’t tonight since he was a bit freaked out. (Instead it was Cocoa!) But, everyone came upstairs for breakfast and Dunlop let Cocoa eat! No accidents or fur or blood anywhere.

I don’t think Cocoa and Dunlop will ever be buddies, but I think he’s learning how to tolerate his new brother.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update/kind-of in need of a pep talk.

So, the good news is that Donatello is more accepting of Cocoa now, and aside from a very soft hiss he's just following Cocoa around when he's up.

Dunlop, on the other hand, is still exhibiting aggressive behaviors. Not to the point where we need to separate or I'm worrying about safety, but to the point where I am seriously starting to wonder if we need to re-home Cocoa with my parents. (They have 3 cats who are wonderful and loving, and will accept any cat that's not an alpha). As selfish as I want to be in keeping Cocoa because he's a sweet boy, it's not fair for him to have to live with a bully, and Dunlop is also pretty stressed out too.

They are fine eating meals together. I have tried play therapy over the past few days, which is really helping Donatello. If Dunlop sees Cocoa playing at all, or even interested in a toy, he's chasing Cocoa and swatting him onto a chair, or bed, etc. Treats aren't helping too much. He won't focus on a toy himself with Cocoa around.

Separation isn't helping, since I can tell by Dunlop's body language that he is aggressively viewing Cocoa as a territory invader. At this point, they are completely scent swapped. Cocoa has never fought back, and whenever he's threatened by aggression, he just loafs or naps under something until Dunlop moves on. Cocoa isn't too stressed by this yet. He waits for Dunlop to have a big nap downstairs, then plays upstairs with toys, follows me, does cat stuff.

If I separate and put Cocoa away, Dunlop views it as a "victory." Cocoa meows constantly, for hours now, if he's inside the safe room which just makes Dunlop more stressed out. If I try the time-out method that other members have used, Dunlop throws himself against the door and meows to be let out constantly. I don't want either of them to get a stress related illness.

I don't know if any members believe in this, but I've worked with a Reiki/Animal communicator in the past who I believe has helped our cats immensely. I asked her to get in touch with Dunlop, without telling her what's going on, and apparently he's not into having Cocoa in his territory at all, and may start spraying again if Cocoa isn't completely removed from the house.

Everyone's eating and using the litterbox like normal, and Donatello is back to his normal self.

I'm basically just feeling defeated right now, but I know I have to wait it out over the next few days and see if things get better.

Last edited: