need advice on feeding super skinny pregnant stray foster cat

dorianscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I recently took in a pregnant foster cat. She was a stray and is skin and bones, super skinny except for her belly. The estimate I've been given is that she will probably give birth in 2-3 weeks. She has a vet appointment a few days from now.

My question is, how best to feed her? I understand that kitten food is great for pregnant cats because it's high in calories and protein. Most info I read online does not suggest unlimited food, but my instinct with a cat this skinny is to offer food every few hours. I was told not to let her free feed on dry food -- is that good advice? I am tempted to let her eat all she's willing to eat in hopes she can add to her reserves before she starts nursing!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would follow the same feeding routine I offered my malnutrition kitten which was, offer wet food 3 to 5 times a day (based on your schedule). I offered as much as my kitten could eat each sitting, if she licked the bowl clean and looked for more I would add a little more. Between wet feedings, I did have a kitten dry food out but you want to pick the lowest carb you can find. For either food, you can do kitten or all stages but try to find something with lower carb, high protein and moderate fats.

You can also mix in some KMR with her wet feedings to up the nutrition and her hydration a little more. If you don't mix in KMR, mix in some water for added liquid.

Keep up the same feeding while she is nursing and hopefully her kittens will join in when they are ready to wean. When the kittens start weaning you can add a little KMR or water to the kibble to soften it but make sure you change out the kibble regularly if you do because of spoiling once the kibble gets wet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As for all emaciated: Smallish portions but often. As easily digestible you can manage.

Goats milk is an excellent supplement here. Otherwise kmr.

Possibly, use pedialyte as water - it contains some glucose sugar, so it will always be some extra calories for free.

Try also some nice vitamine paste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorianscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will a cat be willing to drink Pedialyte instead of water?

How do I know if a food is easily digestible?

She is definitely having diarrhea, b`ut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorianscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops -- cat sent the message! She is having diarrhea in the litterbox, but I figure that's not surprising given huge changes in her diet and living situation (trapper's home in a cage with other cats in cages for a few days, and now a quiet room my home).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will a cat be willing to drink Pedialyte instead of water?

How do I know if a food is easily digestible?

She is definitely having diarrhea, b`ut
Pedialyte is double important now when she has diarrhea - having diarrhea she loses lotsa of salts.

Glucose sugar isnt much sweet, and so pedialyte is barely sweetish.
If she doesnt drink on her own of pedialyte-water, you can try to handfeed it to her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An anti-diarrheal and parasite meds may be needed. Try to see the vet asap and ask about this. Parasites can also cause diarrhea and can be passed to the kittens when born. I agree with all the above information. It is excellent!