Need advice on best way to get my feral in a carrier to her new home

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a feral cat Liley that I socialized and she met her "potential parents" last weekend. She was very scared but they completely overlooked that and are really interested in adopting her. My dilemma is this. The home visit is this Sunday. I'm stressing out on how I'm ever going to get her in a carrier on her way to her new home! I'm thinking of scruffing her but I'm afraid that might completely freak and stress her out, and if this happens it might be even more difficult for her to adjust to her new home. She's only been in a carrier twice once after she was trapped and then again getting her to my house, and that was back in May of last year. What is the best way and less traumatic way to do this? I'd appreciate any advice!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah for you for socializing a feral cat.  I've been in your position; a friend and I removed a total of five cats from a community cat colony in 2011 and have been socializing them.  Three have been adopted, one is ready to be adopted, and one is still a  "work in progress".

In so far as getting her into a cat carrier, there are two ways I would recommend.  Both ways involve putting the cat carrier in the room where she stays the most, and leaving it there.  If you have a choice, use the largest cat carrier you have.  Put a nice blanket in there.  Make it part of the furniture.  Leave treats in there. 

Don't feed her Saturday dinner, put food in the cat carrier Sunday and hope she goes in there on her own.  Try not to stress--Liley will sense that.

OR, scruff her.  There are endorphins in the neck of a cat which are released when you scruff that area.  (That's how mother cats carry their kittens.) 

As I type this Ritz is sleeping in her cat carrier.  She was semi-feral, rescued two years ago.  She hates being picked up, but doesn't mind the cat carrier.  So I generally end up scruffing her to get her into the cat carrier.

Finally, when you do get her into the cat carrier, put a blanket over it, maybe with your scent on it.  I trap cats at least once a month (TNR), and most settle down as soon as I cover them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can add, dont do the self trapping at the last moment, being yourself stressed.

Do it in good time when and if there is some suitable moment. Well in the carrier she feels safe there, so you CAN keep her there some hours. 

Besides, you can prob travel to the adoption home a little earlier if need be.   :)   Better than a vet appointment.   :)

If you have a carrier where you can open the roof - swell.  Lay in her from up.

If you cant, consider put up the carrier on the back end, with the opening up.   And sunk her into the carrier.   Good if you do have an assistent. They may want to spread out paws, the assistent will gather the paws together if need be.

An entirely another variation is to use such a big plastic laundry bag...  Much easier to put them into this. :)

You must of course secure the top.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought of placing the cat carrier in the room w/food or treats but it would be difficult to do because Liley shares a large room w/three other ferals I socialized. Liley tends to be the more timid one and backs off when they come near her, so I think they would get to the food and eat it before she could get a chance. It would be to much work trying to fend them off. I'll probably just have to scruff her. What about sedating her? My older cat becomes so stressed out when he visits the vet my vet just gives me a pill and he's in a relaxed state and she can examine him w/o him becoming traumatized. I want to make Liley's transition into her new home as less stressful as possible!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure, the sedating pill sounds good.  Do you have some pill over, or you must ask the vet again?

Make sure the dosages are correct.  Ie if Liley is smaller than your resident you talk about, she should have smaller dosage too. Perhaps half the pill.   Phone the vet and ask.

And combine the advices. Pill, scruff, lay in her from above, the carrier standing on the back end.   :)

Good luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Judy :happy3: I AM SO thrilled to hear that Liley has a new family !! You have done an amazing job with her and ALL of the cat's you rescue. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Since today is the day they come you might not need the following..... just in case...Do you still have those large dog crates when you were socializing them together in a room? Is it possible to bring that back in and put the carrier inside of the big dog crate. Start feeding her in the large dog crate again. Once she is in there eating, quietly shut the dog crate door. Then try to get her to go inside the smaller carrier inside the dog crate. I have used a yard stick - very gently directing her into the carrier - most times they just willingly go into the carrier. Close the carrier door with the yardstick and slide it all the way through the dog crate bars so it is firmly across the carrier door keeping it shut. Open the dog crate and reach in to latch the carrier door.

I know today they are doing the home visit.... so you won't have anytime to do the above - but if you can't get her into the crate today - work on this method this week and then already have her crated and in the carrier when the new family come to pick her up. I will be sending mega vibes today that you can just get her into the carrier. The above is just another option if today is unsuccessful for crating as well as just feeding her directly in a carrier. You can set up a few carriers to feed in also - so each cat has a carrier to eat in :lol3: That way Liley has the option to eat in a few carriers and the other cat's won't push her out of the way if you were to only use one carrier to feed in. A pain, :rolleyes:, but it should work to get her on her way to her new home :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Waiting to hear how today goes :cross: !!!!!!!:vibes:

Last edited:

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Lauren! Liley has a wonderful couple who is very interested in adopting her!  Thankfully and w/much luck the home visit was supposed to be this past Sunday, but she was sick and we rescheduled for next Saturday, so it gives me a week to prepare. I'm hoping and praying it goes well. The major roadblock would be their dominant male cat. He's always been the only cat, but they adopted him from a multiple cat home where w/a little apprehension at first did get along w/the others. I'm sure you remember Cali aka "houdidni"? I still have her and she is a horrible bully! Liley becomes very afraid and timid when I let her out, and if I don't keep a watchful eye over Cali she charges at the others very aggressively. I've been wearing her out w/alot of playtime around the others so she's drained of her aggressive energy.

I'm afraid to place the large crate in the room because Liley never liked it and would freak out when I did put her in it even w/the door open, so I placed 2 carriers in the room w/blankets inside and covered them so they look more appealing. Liley walked in both and seemed very interested. I also took the doors off. I'm hoping by this Saturday w/alot of playtime and treats, I can coax her in w/o stressing her out. I offered to drop her off since they live right by me and help set her up in a separate room. I could use some tips on successfully introducing Liley and their male cat. Some said rub a towel all over Liley to get her scent on it and place it by their cat's food dish, alot of playtime w/each other, and feeding them on either side of the door of Liley's room. There was an article on here I read from a woman on how to successfully introduce cats but I couldn't find it? Any idea where I can find it? I would like to email it to them. It seems to be there only concern if the two do not get along. I know Liley will take some time to come around maybe months and they seemed very understanding of this. I did let them know though when I brought her to my house it only took a few days so I want to be optimistic w/them. Thanks for all the compliments. It's been such a long road w/Liley, but I keep remembering what you said. One day the right time and opportunity will come along and it has and I'm so excited and thrilled for her!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Judy :). Yes, I remember Cali :nervous: Hopefully Liley's new brother will not be like Cali was to Liley. And since this is a male cat (not another female ;)) and Liley is not a dominant female, I think this could work out well. if these people take things really, really slow and are extremely patient, not have huge expectations and willing to have some set backs then things will probably go very well :nod:.

I think this is perfect for this week the way you are setting up the carriers :D :clap::clap:. Great idea about bringing Liley over to their house to help get room set up. This will help Liley feel a tiny bit more secure having you there for a little bit. Oooooooo this is just so fantastic. I can't wait to hear about the great reports from the new family :cross: :clover:

:vibes::vibes::vibes: For things to go smoothly on Saturday..... They will :happy3:. Here is the article, I think this is the one you were referring too. If I find any other articles, I will pass them on;)
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Last edited:

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren and everyone for all your help! I did discuss w/them where Liley came from and that she was feral, but quickly came around w/alot of love and patience. They didn't seem to mind. She once had a "scaredy cat" that only attached to her, and I explained if they are patient she is the most loveable cuddly cat! I will email her Mary Ann's article. Thank you for finding it for me. Cross all fingers and paws everything goes well. I'll report back on her progress!

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was succesful getting Liley in the carrier. I just put some catnip in it and it took a few times but she went right in. She was a little upset when I closed the door but once I placed the blanket over the carrier it seemed to calm her down. When I brought her to her potential new home and placed her in the separate room where she'll be kept until she becomes comfortable she began climbing the window and howling. It made me a little nervous and her new owners seemed a little worried, but it was overwhelming for her and they seem to understand. They stepped out and I sat with her and she seem to calm down a bit. I just feel so horrible like I abandoned her and know it will take awhile for her to come around. I think it's harder w/the ferals become they become so close to you and only you. I know I made the right decision and hope it all works out and she's happy but I miss her alot and I'm having separation anxiety. I did email her Mary Anne's article on successfully introducing cats so it should go well. I asked her to keep me updated on how she's doing so I'll post more and hopefully it will be nothing but good news!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Judy :alright: I totally understand how you feel :hugs:. Please assure these people that how Liley acted was totally to be expected :nod: I promise that Liley WILL calm down and settle into a routine. It is extremely frightening for them to be removed from their safe environment and forced to adjust to a totally new place. BUT she will adjust - absolutely. As long as the new owners are patient, loving and more patient :lol3: Liley will be just fine. It could take many days or a few week's for her to settle in and feel safe again. Please don't feel bad - you have to do this when a home comes along. We can't keep them all and you need to make room for another cat that might need you down the road. It is alright to feel sad tonight - it is normal and can't be helped. You developed a bond with Liley and she you. But you were a solid stepping stone to her next life - and I say solid because she couldn't have had a better "surrogate" meowmy. You made it possible for her to be able to even become adoptable. It also takes really special people to adopt a cat such as Liley. So I think these people will love her dearly, just like you, and they will learn how rewarding it is to take such a frightened kitty and get her to trust. :heart3: When you can, please post an update on her. You did a great thing for her - be good to yourself :hugs::hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lauren for all the kind and encouraging words. I was crying as I was reading and I do feel so sad and never thought I would miss her this much. I know they are the best possible parents for Liley and hope if anything at all they will be patient and discover like I did what a wonderful kitty she really is. I've come such a long way w/her and it's bittersweet. Nothing would make me happier as hearing the good news that she does begin to earn their trust and open up. She's a social worker and works w/developmentally disabled adults helping them find jobs, so yes she has a huge heart and alot of patience. I just said to her like some adults have "special needs" so do some kitties like Liley. I will update and thanks so much again. I needed the little pep talk and reassurance that I did the right thing

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Allison Liley's new Mom is spending alot of time in Liley's room. She's been hiding under the bed in a separate room since I dropped her off. She still hasn't come out even to eat and drink, but will allow Allison to pet her and she is purring which I told her is a great sign! I reassured her that Liley will come out it may just take some time and patience. I also told her to place a piece of clothing w/her scent on it under the bed and play some classical music. Liley was like that when I first took her in. When I began feeding her the yummy wet food w/me in the room that's when she began to trust me, although it took a few feedings for her to even eat in front of me. Should I suggest Allison do this too? I know it worked w/me, just sitting in the room, talking softly to her and encouraging her, plus all the feedings really helped her to come out of her shell but it was a slow process. Just thought you may have some other suggestions that worked for you in similar situations. You always have the best advice and I would love to pass it on to Allison. I think she's more worried that she hasn't eaten any food or even drink any water. Thanks again!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she hasnt own very good ideas, it is surely better she reuses your ideas, so Lily remembers them, and thus - connect her now owner with her beloved old owner.  So the process may go a little faster than otherwise, once the threshold os over.

This with not eating nor drinking a couple of days isnt that unusual. It happens even sometimes with bought cats.   This is not  so good for the cats health of course, but real dangerous is only for these overwight ones, the fats.   For normal weigh cats it is not so very dangerous. Which is luck for all strays and homeless of course....

She will prob go out and make her errands at night, when everything is silent and undisturbed.

*vibes*

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Judy - (sorry I didn't see this yesterday but) just hold on..... hang in there..... Liley WILL come around. I agree with Stefan also - that since Liley was not obese that she should be find without food for a day or so. BUT she must eat soon. I would tell Allison (she sounds so wonderful - :)) to get some Fancy Feast kitten food or any type really - and start putting that under the bed near Liley with the water. Since Liley is purring - that is HUGE. I am really, really hoping that she has started by the time you read this. SO glad that you are in contact with Allison. I am certain that Liley will not starve herself - do not worry so. This is totally normal and I had a feral girl once go almost three days without touching food - I was a complete wreck, she was recovering from a severe injury to her leg after a surgery and in my safe room. I thought I was going to have to drag her out and get her to the vet for fluids. BUT she DID start eating - and was just fine after that. :cross: For Liley .

p.s. If Liley likes it when Allison is in there with her - have her put the food under the bed and just sit in there on the computer or read for a bit and see if that will help. ALSO tell her to feed her fresh, wet stinky kitty food :lol3: right before the house will be completely quiet for the night. MOST of these really frightened kitties will come out and eat at night when the rest of the world is sleeping...... :cross:

Last edited:

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just talked to Allison and she is worried Liley still hasn't eaten so I explained to her what you suggested, to feed her a fresh can of her favorite food right before they go to sleep and place it underneath the bed. She hasn't eaten since Saturday afternoon when I dropped her off and I am even getting worried. I'll trust all will be fine, but I told Allison when she checks in the morning and if Liley still hasn't eaten I'm definitley going to panic. She did the same thing w/me but she did eat after the second day I had her. She is using the litter box so I know she's venturing out at night. She asked me if she should let her cat in the room w/the hopes it might bring Liley around, but I told her it would be too soon, and that it's best her and Liley bond first. She adopted her cat from a multiple cat home and as far as she knew she did get along w/them pretty well. Am I right telling her this? I hope I can report back to you guys that Liley has finally eaten otherwise I'm going to be a wreck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with what you told Allison, Judy. Bringing her cat into Lileys room could backfire. Let's just see if she eats by tomorrow.. Then it might help to bring in the other cat for a few minutes so Liley can see another cat. Liley has been through this before... She know the drill and she will eat. We know she is not sick.... She is just really stressed. Does Allison have a Feliway plug in for the room? Sorry if you already said so. This might really help..... I have never heard of a cat starving themselves so do not worry. This is the hardest part for these kitties, the first few days in their new home. I know this is a huge worry, but I really think Liley knows she must eat soon and She also knows that Allison is a nice person who is caring for her. I will say a prayer for Liley tonight. I think we will have good news tomorrow. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

judy m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren and yes Liley did eat a little bit of the tuna fish she palced under the bed last night. Even better when Allison came home last night and walked in Liley's room she was sitting on the windowsill. She retreated back under the bed and Allison reached in to pet her and she said she began purring louder than she ever has. Liley then laid down and let Allison pet her even her belly a little bit too. Liley also rubbed her face all over Allison's hand. I told her this was a huge breakthrough and it's just a matter of time before Liley will come out to her and show her sweet self. Thanks again for all your help. It's really helped us out so much and I truly appreciate it! I'll keep reporting back w/good news I hope.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH it WILL be good news :woohoo: :banana1: :banana2: I can't tell you how relieved I am for you, Judy :hugs: and for Liley and Allison. I am beaming with smiles :D :happy3: It can only get better from here :bigthumb: